amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 17-19th Plains/MW/Lakes Storm Potential Part II

Powerball

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOOD MORNING, hope everyone is enjoying the rain. (waste of moisture), good thing is I was not surprised-warm air always wins :D

[sarcasm] Well, I know Im surprised. Cant believe it is raining and 34-35F. The forecast was for snow and a temperature of 18 to 20F. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though the warmth isnt lasting long. Though the snow is sinking some its really just becoming more solid once it freezes over. I have to do a core sample later, but Im sure this rain is merely adding water content to the slightly sinking snow, not melting it.

what is snowpack there?

It was about 7 inches yesterday. I would guess about 1.5 inches or so of wet snow has fallen today since it changed from freezing rain. It's still snowing at a decent clip. With the temp at 32F though, it's definitely a low ratio snow. Also, it looks like it may end soon.

Amazingly stormy outside, I just lost power for a few minutes and power came back on.. Scary stuff. LOL

Eww here, we lost like 3 " of snowfall due to the rain.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Its amazingly stormy there? Like what? Theres no wind or thunder anywhere, I assume you had a heavier burst of rain? Here it is annoying light rain with basically no wind. Also...what do you mean you lost 3" of snowfall? Theres no way your snow depth sank 3 inches (I think it sunk about an inch here).

It was about 7 inches yesterday. I would guess about 1.5 inches or so of wet snow has fallen today since it changed from freezing rain. It's still snowing at a decent clip. With the temp at 32F though, it's definitely a low ratio snow. Also, it looks like it may end soon.

Cool. I knew the thumb, while missing out on some of the better synoptic snow in SE MI so far this season, has had some sweet LES.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Its amazingly stormy there? Like what? Theres no wind or thunder anywhere, I assume you had a heavier burst of rain? Here it is annoying light rain with basically no wind. Also...what do you mean you lost 3" of snowfall? Theres no way your snow depth sank 3 inches (I think it sunk about an inch here).

My bad, yeah the snow compacted more so... LMAO laugh.gif

Got about 6 inches of snow here throughout the night last night...the last two weeks have been very good to us snow-wise. Snow depth is around 15-16 inches.

Couldn't even scrape out 2" one county south of you. We had gotten up to around 8" - 10" on the ground before this event, but the sleet/freezing rain compacted things nicely. Don't know were we stand right now. Didn't check this morning before leaving for work.

Couldn't even scrape out 2" one county south of you. We had gotten up to around 8" - 10" on the ground before this event, but the sleet/freezing rain compacted things nicely. Don't know were we stand right now. Didn't check this morning before leaving for work.

It seems there was a real tight gradient between Northern and southern parts of Ottawa County. Grand Haven got around 6 inches and you guys got less than 2". Did Holland get anything?

neither have i

EC calling for a little accumulation tonight and tomorrow but I'm not seeing it based on radar/model trends. Maybe a dusting.

Tim updated the snowfall totals. I can't believe Ottawa's running neck and neck with downtown Toronto. Hopefully you guys get it turned around quickly. What's your futility record? ~135cm?

Archived