12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL Jan 18-19 Potential Threat Thread

am19psu

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soaking rains up and down the coast. If this run verifies, say bye bye to the snow from NYC to Boston.

It was definitely nice while it lasted. I'm not saying that things are set in stone for a heavy rainstorm but it doesn't look too good right now. Also if the DGEX or 18z gfs verify, probably 90-95% of are snow pack will be gone. In fact, the only thing left after would be snow piles. There would be flooding concerns, maybe not major, but definitely flood concerns considering the current snow pack, the potential for over an inch or rain and the frozen ground. I only hope we don't get that much rain or it ends up being colder.

FWIW, after the boxing day storm that gave us over 20", we were down to about 6-7" and that was with only .2" of rain and couple days of temps in the upper 40s/50F.

GFS isn't really cold in the long range.:facepalm: Which model do we believe? Euro or GFS?

honestly, at this point its not worth worrying about. Its at least a week and a half out and many things will change. If you're set on having some sort of expectations for the cold outbreak assume a compromise between the two. That way there isn't as much room for disappointment.

Also if you look at the 240 hr map you can see how a little west based -NAO could go a long way in pushing that serious cold south. I haven't looked at the forecasts for the medium-long range wrt to the state of the NAO but it doesn't appear likely that we'll have as favorable a block as we did this month and in mid-late dec. Will it return? I believe it will but probably not in January. When it returns so do our chances of big snows. Until then it appears we might have to deal with your garden variety cold and snow (some winters this would be welcomed!), which I dont think anyone will complain about, especially when 1/2 of the way through met winter there have been between 5 and 10 days above normal (some only 2 or 3 above btw..), with snowcover for the past 2 and a half wks (which will undoubtedly be around 20-25days before this next storm makes a huge dent in the snowpack) Its rained like 3 times lol and we already have between 25-40in of snow region wide.

I feel like this very cold outbreak has been 10 days away for a few weeks now. It seems like it happens every year.

actually the first advertised cold outbreak was with the storm on the 18th and 19th and it appears likely now that while cold it probably wont be more than 10 degrees below normal. Things could change if the storm is more intense or if the northern stream digs more dragging some cold air down but it seems that'll be on the order of most of the cold we've experienced thus far. The next possibility seems to be around the day 10 range and it will probably be a little more robust (at least IMO)

Now all we need is another 200-250 miles SE. :whistle:

Well lets see we have the UKMET @ 12 Z looking like this...

GGEM

GGEM means

ECM @ 120 (no image available for 132)

ECM means

The point is that the GFS seems to be way out in left field compared to the rest of the guidance at this present point and time but it does show a SE movement between 12 Z and 18 Z and we will probably see another SE movement at 00z ...

lol what the -10 850 line hovers between phl and nyc the whole run, with a strong high parked in se canada, thats plenty cold

metsfan is usually not guilty of this but after a snowstorm there tends to be a lot of negativity surrounding the future pattern if there isn't another snow threat on the horizon, and ESPECIALLY when there is a possibility of a cutter whistle.gif. Just an observation. I will gladly take 2 amazing storms in 2 and a half weeks and hedge that the pattern recurs with more snow and cold a wk or 2 down the line.

metsfan is usually not guilty of this but after a snowstorm there tends to be a lot of negativity surrounding the future pattern if there isn't another snow threat on the horizon, and ESPECIALLY when there is a possibility of a cutter whistle.gif. Just an observation. I will gladly take 2 amazing storms in 2 and a half weeks and hedge that the pattern recurs with more snow and cold a wk or 2 down the line.

Absolutely, but hey look how well we bounced back after the mini thaw around New Year's eve through the first couple of days in Jan. Although this time, we don't have the -NAO to help us, but that doesn't mean we can't get snow.

Certainly not all of them are as warm or amplified as the OP. Still have to lean towards a rain event, but some members are interesting.

I stil think its doubtful we end up with a wrapped up cutter bringing 40-50 degree temps and massive rain. If I were a betting man I'd go with anywhere from 2-6 inches in overrunning snow with another half inch or so of light rain as a weak storm passes to our south and east. Temps around 40. Snowpack stays intact.

Archived