• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL Jan 18-19 Potential Threat Thread

am19psu

I think it is to early to say either way if this will be more wintry or more rainy. Flood threat does exist but that would depend on several factors included the current water content of the snow pack and its ability to absorb additional moisture, what surface temps would be if it was rain, ie rain and 35-40 vs 45-55 and what current river flow levels are. Regardless of all that a flood threat is one scenario to watch for just as an ice threat also is one to watch for especially north and west of NYC and PHI in the favored areas to CAD best.

It doesn't look as if temperatures would warm much about 40F in this system...there is a good deal of CAD with the high moving off the coast, and we don't have a very strong surface low cutting to the west.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one part that seems suspicious of an all Rain event is Mondays High is supposed to be in the low 30's before a storm comes tracking up coast where alot of Models have it taking a track up or near the benchmark..Let me say this if it was an all rain event on top of a snowpack followed by an Arctic freeze there would be some real problems with everything turning into a sheet of ice...

I remember after the 93 storm they had to use front end loaders to remove the ice from our parking lot at work.

It doesn't look as if temperatures would warm much about 40F in this system...there is a good deal of CAD with the high moving off the coast, and we don't have a very strong surface low cutting to the west.

That's part of it too, the absolute warmest I could see is probably 45 or so, and that would probably be brief.

I don't think the prospects for the upcoming event are as bad as people are making them out to be. I'd take the solutions at hand with a major amount of salt for several reasons. We haven't seen the modeled track occur at all this winter, for one, and tracks do tend to repeat over the course of a winter. The high pressure is also rather impressive, and it wouldn't take much of a shift to get the low east of Labrador to shift into a more favorable position. This is an even more precarious setup when the northern stream is taken into account, given how many problems models have had modeling nrn stream events this year. I'd say the probability of a storm going too far west to give us appreciable QPF is higher than what's currently progged on the GFS.

GFS Shows an inch or so Saturday with the Clipper, then 2-4" Monday night before we change over. Maybe those extra 3-5" (combined) help preserve our snowcover.

Do you think in areas north and west of NYC. There could be some CAD that could be tough to dislodge. The overnight lows are forcasted to be in the upper teens to low 20s. Might have some ice issues up this way.

That's part of it too, the absolute warmest I could see is probably 45 or so, and that would probably be brief.

That is probably correct and thus unless it rains very heavy and quick I think the flood threat, on a large scale river and stream aspect, is probably minor. Of course street flooding due to blocked drains is another issue. I suspect the ice threat N&W is probably greater then the flood threat. Time will tell.

I've seen it before, it doesn' take a massive warm up to melt the snow pack when it's raining ontop of it. I'm not saying that we would loose all of it at once which would probably bring major flooding but the other factor is that it's been very cold as of late and the ground is frozen so that would cause alot of the rain to runoff rather than get absorbed. Also with the sun being out yesterday and today, the top layer of snow around here has been melting and then re-freezing at night, so that could make it harder for the snow to absorb the water. If you add a layer of ice ontop of the snow I would think that adds even more fuel to the fire.

Do you think in areas north and west of NYC. There could be some CAD that could be tough to dislodge. The overnight lows are forcasted to be in the upper teens to low 20s. Might have some ice issues up this way.

Could be, but the problem is, the GFS has precipitation beginning Monday afternoon, so there won't be radiational cooling Monday night. It's all going to come down to how fast the high retreats.

I've seen it before, it doesn' take a massive warm up to melt the snow pack when it's raining ontop of it. I'm not saying that we would loose all of it at once which would probably bring major flooding but the other factor is that it's been very cold as of late and the ground is frozen so that would cause alot of the rain to runoff rather than get absorbed. Also with the sun being out yesterday and today, the top layer of snow around here has been melting and then re-freezing at night, so that could make it harder for the snow to absorb the water. If you add a layer of ice ontop of the snow I would think that adds even more fuel to the fire.

You're talking about the snowpack as if it's all fresh snow. Underneath the snow that just fell, there is a layer of rock hard snow. That's not going anywhere fast.

You're talking about the snowpack as if it's all fresh snow. Underneath the snow that just fell, there is a layer of rock hard snow. That's not going anywhere fast.

I see your point, I guess it will all come down to how much rain and how fast it falls but it does seem to be a prolonged event and one which will bring widespread heavy QPF. BTW, I'm refereing mostly to the Passaic River Basin which saw alot more snow than the Deleware. Ice storms around here just never seem to verify and the warm air always seems to work its way in faster than predicted but then again if we are talking about temps only making it to 35 I can see the ice issues. I would hope that a winter storm watch gets issued for this event if the ice threat looks real by Saturday.

I see your point, I guess it will all come down to how much rain and how fast it falls but it does seem to be a prolonged event and one which will bring widespread heavy QPF. BTW, I'm refereing mostly to the Passaic River Basin which saw alot more snow than the Deleware. Ice storms around here just never seem to verify and the warm air always seems to work its way in faster than predicted but then again if we are talking about temps only making it to 35 I can see the ice issues. I would hope that a winter storm watch gets issued for this event if the ice threat looks real by Saturday.

Also read what I said about runoff. The fact that snowfall has been below normal to our North and West will diminish flooding threats.

BTW, how do dew points look for the event? Is it possible we could still get a wet snow at 35?

Absolutely not and it has nothing to do with dew points. At the start of the event, ALL levels, including the BL, are cold enough for snow. The upper levels will warm up before the surface, so wet snow at 35 is an absolute impossibility with this event.

Also read what I said about runoff. The fact that snowfall has been below normal to our North and West will diminish flooding threats.

Well, with the flooding we got in March the snow pack was more or less gone except in upper Passaic/Sussex County. I'm a Firefighter and Morris County OEM estimated that the snowpack up their was holding about 9" of water. This was mostly due to the big noreaster we had in February which brought them about 40" of snow. I frequent West Milford and I can tell you personally that the snow pack up their is massive in some spots, and I have no idea what the water content is but their is 2-3' in most spots with piles all over the place 8-10' high where it was plowed. The water up their runs off into the Pequannock River which then dumps into the Pompton River which then dumps into the Passaic River. I've lived here all my life and everytime their has been a snow pack like we currently have it's been a game of Russian Roulette with the rain.

A Clipper would never be a CAD event.

Yeah I know. The models 3-4 days ago had a much different setup though with a more potent northern stream and southern stream energy running around ahead of it. As you know now, there is no southern stream anymore and the northern stream energy is much less potent. I'm hoping we see something similar, but I'm not too optimistic and it appears to be the normal GFS game where it saw the storm but simply doesn't know when it'll occur.

Archived