joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL Jan 18-19 Potential Threat Thread

am19psu

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at 126, 850 line runs between northshore of LI and mainland down through central pa..... 32 line is back back into quebec.. so the BL warms immediatly while the upper layers hold ground a bit longer..132 850 line retreats to CNY, and runs alongside the northern border of MASS ...

weird how the boundry "torches" so fast, yet the upper levels hold on stronger.. I would have thought the other way around..

The primary remains potent enough to allow WAA and hgts ahead of it to rise along the EC, but with the model looking better aloft at 500mb, it is certainly possibly to see a weakening trend of the primary and a quicker secondary. This is especially true if we have some resemblance of a pseudo 50/50 which allows the confluence to remain dominant and prevent the primary from cutting as much. Still a ways away, a lot will change.

Again, I don't see this storm as a threat except maybe the higher elevations or the Poconos. We're going through an unfavorable MJO phase, the NAO is positive. The GGEM and Gfs say rain with a little bit of sleet or freezing rain in NE PA/NW NJ before the changeover.

Whatever cold high that is building is too far west, we lack the 50/50 low, and the high to the east is too far east and does not become entrenched to create the CAD. I know it's still a few days out there but it's not looking good, even for sleet and freezing rain.

at 126, 850 line runs between northshore of LI and mainland down through central pa..... 32 line is back back into quebec.. so the BL warms immediatly while the upper layers hold ground a bit longer..132 850 line retreats to CNY, and runs alongside the northern border of MASS ...

weird how the boundry "torches" so fast, yet the upper levels hold on stronger.. I would have thought the other way around..

Is NYC still below 0C at 126 and 132?

.75 precip all the way back to MDT and of course 850's don't crash thru until the precip has exited the region, great track, no cold.

The combo of a SE flow from the high that has exited stage right of ME and the SW flow from the Ohio Valley basically kills this thing for the region, at least as presetly modeled

850s ar3 just north of nyc but the surface temp is like 40 or so

Hmm, 126 sounds like an interesting frame for the elevated NW suburbs...especially considering the Euro's known warm bias. I especially wouldn't be concerned about what 2m temperatures it's showing beyond the first couple of days, but we need to get rid of that pesky northern stream low over the Great Lakes.

So Ice storm cancel? I was thinking all along the primary threat is heavy rain and flooding.

If temps are in the mid 30's to around 40 with a low to the east, flooding would not be a big concern. As with those temps the snowpack could absorb the majority of the moisture. Once you start to get temps above 40-45...then you have worries.

based on the trajectory.. that slug of wicked cold air looks like it might be a glancing blow to northern new england.. but i'll let it play out.

yea the first initial cold is a glancing blow. U might see another cutter or phasing event post 180 then that other cold blast in central canada comes in behind it,

So Ice storm cancel? I was thinking all along the primary threat is heavy rain and flooding.

if you look at that 1/7/94 analog someone posted, it showed a cold front coming through and staying to our south while a storm moved along it...doesnt seem that we have anything here that either holds in the cold air or delivers a fresh supply of it--I'd say Mainly rain for the NYC area except well well inland

Archived