• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL Jan 18-19 Potential Threat Thread

am19psu

Its generally known that systems either travel the western side or the eastern side of the APPS. It has happened in the past but its very rare for a system to go directly over the APPS....

It was posted a few weeks ago that the March 8 2008 storm and the 1950 storm are the two most well known to do it, I cannot recall any others offhand.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the I-95, we should not be surprised by episodic warm/rain events followed by big, heavy snows. If you remember back to 95-96 winter, that was pretty common. It's very uncommon to get big snow after big snow piling up on top of each other. It's not like Manhattan sees snow pack of 30 inches.

For the I-95, we should not be surprised by episodic warm/rain events followed by big, heavy snows. If you remember back to 95-96 winter, that was pretty common. It's very uncommon to get big snow after big snow piling up on top of each other. It's not like Manhattan sees snow pack of 30 inches.

I disagree--while we've seen a similar amount of snow to 95-96 so far, the patterns have been vastly different and we most definitely have not seen warm rainy events this winter so far. We had a very brief thaw and even held onto snowpack. Central Park has gone a month without seeing any appreciable rain, FYI.

yea i don't have where it places the low, so i just go with where the middle of the lowest isobar

Hence the reason why i said I do not think the GFS has the right idea as far as track because its not recognizing the low along the coast. However..I think the GFS is going to pick up on the cold air ideal better then the ECM actually will...GFS is usually better with situations that involve CAD...i would probably say that the ensemble means would have a slightly colder look at the 850 level then what we see on the OP ECM here....

Definitely coastal plain will end up rain but far N & W away from the big cities I think are going to be a different story ...

Hence the reason why i said I do not think the GFS has the right idea as far as track because its not recognizing the low along the coast. However..I think the GFS is going to pick up on the cold air ideal better then the ECM actually will...GFS is usually better with situations that involve CAD...i would probably say that the ensemble means would have a slightly colder look at the 850 level then what we see on the OP ECM here....

Definitely coastal plain will end up rain but far N & W away from the big cities I think are going to be a different story ...

i would think the other way around, considering the euro has a higher resolution

I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Its the case that I have seen over the years of watching the models when it comes to winter storms. I remember plenty of storms where we were suppose to change over to plain rain etc on the ECM...but we ended up with alot more frozen..its just something that i guess you could say chops up to experience.....

FWIW here is the 00z NOGAPS

I'm starting to think the main argument is whether or not all of our snow pack will be depleted rather than frozen vs rain. So will we see 50s and over an inch or rain, or 40 and half an inch of rain, which would preserve some of our snow pack.

A secondary argument could be whether we see some frozen before the rain or not. I don't think any of the models show us getting any frozen before the rain right now.

Archived