• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
What is Your Favorite Recent NESIS/KU Event?

Which One was your Favorite?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which storm?

• March 1-3, 2009
    • December 18-21, 2009
    • February 4-7 2010
    • February 9-11, 2010
    • February 22-24, 2010
    • February 25-28, 2010
    • December 24-28, 2010
    • January 9-13, 2011
    • I didn't Like Any of These

It seems that in the last couple of years, there has been a substantial increase in the number of storms registering on the NESIS (Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale). Assuming this most recent storm joins the list, that will make 7 in the span of 22 months (note that even though the NESIS page has the February 22-24, 2010 Upstate NY/Interior New England storm and the February 25-28 "Snowicane" as one storm, I broke it up into 2 since those were very different events).

Anyway, it's been quite remarkable the number of strong coastals during this span even with different ENSO states (thank you incredibly strong -NAO/-AO). Never before had I heard terms like "Snowmageddon," "Snowpocalypse," or "Snowicane," applied to name storms. However, a number of these storms had strange and very tight gradients, which makes me curious to see what everyone thought of each of these events and how they performed for everyone's respective backyard.

i also realize that I only selected NESIS events, which largely cater to the I-95 corridor. This was the reason I didn't include other noteworthy events such as the January 1-4, 2010 NNE retro-storm, the January 29-30, 2010 SE/Lower Mid-Atlantic snowstorm, the December 12, 2010 Upper Midwest Blizzard, and the January 7-8, 2011 CT inverted trough/coastal storm. Here is the link to the NESIS page if anyone is interested: http://lwf.ncdc.noaa...d-ice/nesis.php

It seems that in the last couple of years, there has been a substantial increase in the number of storms registering on the NESIS (Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale). Assuming this most recent storm joins the list, that will make 7 in the span of 22 months (note that even though the NESIS page has the February 22-24, 2010 Upstate NY/Interior New England storm and the February 25-28 "Snowicane" as one storm, I broke it up into 2 since those were very different events).

Anyway, it's been quite remarkable the number of strong coastals during this span even with different ENSO states (thank you incredibly strong -NAO/-AO). Never before had I heard terms like "Snowmageddon," "Snowpocalypse," or "Snowicane," applied to name storms. However, a number of these storms had strange and very tight gradients, which makes me curious to see what everyone thought of each of these events and how they performed for everyone's respective backyard.

i also realize that I only selected NESIS events, which largely cater to the I-95 corridor. This was the reason I didn't include other noteworthy events such as the January 1-4, 2010 NNE retro-storm, the January 29-30, 2010 SE/Lower Mid-Atlantic snowstorm, the December 12, 2010 Upper Midwest Blizzard, and the January 7-8, 2011 CT inverted trough/coastal storm. Here is the link to the NESIS page if anyone is interested: http://lwf.ncdc.noaa...d-ice/nesis.php

I don't think you can make Feb 22-24, 2010 as an option for a NESIS event because it wouldn't register on the scale if it wasn't absorbed by the Feb 25-27, 2010 storm. Feb 22-24, 2010 was an interior elevated special and wouldn't even come close to a NESIS event.

Anyways, carry on...it was just a little nitpick of mine. :P:snowman:

I don't think you can make Feb 22-24, 2010 as an option for a NESIS event because it wouldn't register on the scale if it wasn't absorbed by the Feb 25-27, 2010 storm. Feb 22-24, 2010 was an interior elevated special and wouldn't even come close to a NESIS event.

Anyways, carry on...it was just a little nitpick of mine. :P:snowman:

I'll nitpick too in that I don't think March 1-3 2009 will be on the main KU list either (while all the others likely will be). That storm will almost certainly be on the near miss or moderate lists, since none of the urban centers had 10" or more.

Per Richmond perspective.... none of those. :arrowhead:

You're wrong. And, I see, Anthony agrees with me.

The 3/1-2 2009 snow storm was definitely my favorite of these. Why? It ended the b**ch of a snow drought down here. We went from 12/05/05 to 3/1/2009 without a GOOD snowfall in Short Pump. Yeh, it snowed some. But, it really didn't accumulate to much. Certainly nothing shovelable.

That's why, for me, 3/1/09 was my favorite. My 2nd favorite snow of the last two years isn't on the list. It was the 01/30-02/01 snowfall of last year...

Best. Birthday. Present. Ever.:thumbsup:

You're wrong. And, I see, Anthony agrees with me.

The 3/1-2 2009 snow storm was definitely my favorite of these. Why? It ended the b**ch of a snow drought down here. We went from 12/05/05 to 3/1/2009 without a GOOD snowfall in Short Pump. Yeh, it snowed some. But, it really didn't accumulate to much. Certainly nothing shovelable.

That's why, for me, 3/1/09 was my favorite. My 2nd favorite snow of the last two years isn't on the list. It was the 01/30-02/01 snowfall of last year...

Best. Birthday. Present. Ever.:thumbsup:

My favorite event of the past years is the 1/30 and the second is 03/01 event--

Had 2.5 inches in an hour on 1/30 and 5 inches in 2 hours on 03/1-- I don't rank it higher because the heaviest fell between 12 and 2 AM and despite being a high of 32 on March 2..10.5 inches went down to just under 4 due to the HIGH ratio snow we got in round 2 of that event.

My favorite event of the past years is the 1/30 and the second is 03/01 event--

Had 2.5 inches in an hour on 1/30 and 5 inches in 2 hours on 03/1-- I don't rank it higher because the heaviest fell between 12 and 2 AM and despite being a high of 32 on March 2..10.5 inches went down to just under 4 due to the HIGH ratio snow we got in round 2 of that event.

Yep. The snow rates on 1/30 were insane. And it was CRAZY cold for Richmond. We had a high of ~26 or 27 that morning but as soon as it started snowing, we dropped to 19 and didn't see 20 again until the next day.

Per Richmond perspective.... none of those. :arrowhead:

Same for the western Maine foothills. The one really good event IMBY, 24.5" on Feb. 22-23, 2009, isn't close to KU-dom because of the reasoning by Orh Wxman copied below.

Feb 22-24, 2010 was an interior elevated special and wouldn't even come close to a NESIS event.

Continuing for this season - just north of the good bands both 12/27 and yesterday, 8.0" and 7.3" respectively, while my AUG workplace less than 30 miles SSE had nearly twice as much. At least not total whiffs like the first 3 KUs last winter.

Wasn't around for the post christmas blizzard so that would've likely been my favorite. I was home on Long Island in Merrick for Dec 19 2009 and that was an unbelievable storm for us. NYC only ended up with 10 but the gradient was pretty steep heading east across long island, and in Merrick we saw roughly 16-17 in., including 12 inches in 4-5 hours ! Solid storm. The second best would probably have to be this past one because of the snow rates from about 11pm to 3 am in which we picked up at least 7-8 inches, with embedded 3in/hr rates. Also had I been in westchester for Feb 26th-27th that may have been my second favorite as 20+ inches was common around where I live. I was instead in syracuse where they picked up around 18 inches, which was still impressive, but it warmed to 38 degrees the next morning and was drizzling so it kinda made everything a huge mess.

I went with February 4-7, 2010. Even though I only received about 7", that radar still sticks in my mind like no other. The incredible plume of moisture was spectacular to see and the insane cutoff really made that storm interesting. It was historic for the DC/PHL area and we'll probably never see anything like it in our lifetimes.

My 2nd personal favorite is none other than the December 26th, 2010 storm. It was the biggest snow event since PD II for me, but the winds really made the 26th storm incredible. For a few hours, the visibility was near zero, it was blowing so hard that it looked like Siberia out there.

I went with February 4-7, 2010. Even though I only received about 7", that radar still sticks in my mind like no other. The incredible plume of moisture was spectacular to see and the insane cutoff really made that storm interesting. It was historic for the DC/PHL area and we'll probably never see anything like it in our lifetimes.

My 2nd personal favorite is none other than the December 26th, 2010 storm. It was the biggest snow event since PD II for me, but the winds really made the 26th storm incredible. For a few hours, the visibility was near zero, it was blowing so hard that it looked like Siberia out there.

you're outta your mind jetski lol...you're calling a storm in which you got fringed your favorite recent KU???? As opposed to a storm in which there were blizz conditions and widespread 12-18+.

you're outta your mind jetski lol...you're calling a storm in which you got fringed your favorite recent KU???? As opposed to a storm in which there were blizz conditions and widespread 12-18+.

Yes lol, I'm not going to be biased and vote for a KU event that hit my area hard, but rather look at the other KUs from a meteorological stand point and Feb 4-7 was very impressive.

Yes lol, I'm not going to be biased and vote for a KU event that hit my area hard, but rather look at the other KUs from a meteorological stand point and Feb 4-7 was very impressive.

I understand but you're answering a different question. The question was your favorite one, not the most interesting etc. This is just semantics obv but with so many to choose from you choose the one that is undoubtedly the worst for your area. You really are a pessimist

I understand but you're answering a different question. The question was your favorite one, not the most interesting etc. This is just semantics obv but with so many to choose from you choose the one that is undoubtedly the worst for your area. You really are a pessimist

I am not a pessimist. Feb 4-7 really is one of my favorite KUs with December 26th right after it. It's both interesting and a favorite of mine. I mean how often do you see NYC end up with like an inch or two and parts of Southern half of NJ get nearly 2 feet of snow.

I am not a pessimist. Feb 4-7 really is one of my favorite KUs with December 26th right after it. It's both interesting and a favorite of mine. I mean how often do you see NYC end up with like an inch or two and parts of Southern half of NJ get nearly 2 feet of snow.

a once in a lifetime event maybe but I guess I'm just wondering how a storm that you didn't get into the heart of is more a favorite than one you did, along with incredible dynamics and blizzard conditions. Mind you I'm agreeing how amazing an event feb 4-7 was just not for our area and thats why I'm wondering why you chose it. To each his own I guess, but I bet not one person in their right mind would choose feb 4-7th over dec 26th north of CNJ...

I'm also responding partly out of anger to the weather gods because It is nuts that it couldn't have come just 50 or so miles further north. Such a frustrating storm to track. The only positive to that was as the snow was about to start in areas to our south, the threat for feb 10th showed up and that one looked better from the outset...

I voted for 2/9-11/10. IMO it had the highest impact, hitting in the middle of the week, and right after another major storm. Led to a State of Emergency with all PA interstates shut down. Also a greater expanse of snow in all directions. And the first to have significant wind (although 2/25-28/10 had better wind in the end.)

Just shy of 18" IMBY, it was also the biggest storm I can remember. (2/11/06 had about 16", PD2 somewhere around 18" but I don't remember exactly.)

Fine from an eastern Richmond perspective; none of these storms broke 10 inches. Only one broke 9 inches. I'd go with Jan 2000 event or the Blizzard of 1996 for Eastern Henrico County. Been 10 years since the Airport broke 10 inches in a single storm.

Last year though was great as a whole with 28 inches for the year.

Archived