northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 17-19th Plains/MW/Lakes Storm Potential

A-L-E-K

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DTXTHE NEXT SIGNIFICANT JET STREAK AND BUCKLE IN THE TROPOSPHERIC FLOWWILL ADVANCE INTO THE EASTERN CONTIGUOUS UNITED STATES EARLY NEXTWEEK. UNCERTAINTY REMAINS WITH RESPECT TO THE EVENTUAL SYSTEM TRACKAS THE ECMWF/NHEM GEM SUGGESTS THIS EVENT MAY EVEN BECOME A GULFCOASTAL LOW. DESPITE THE UNCERTAINTY...THERE IS ENOUGH EVIDENCE TOSUGGEST THAT A WIDESPREAD ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WILL IMPACT THEGREAT LAKES MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY. STRENGTHS OF THIS SYSTEMINCLUDE A HIGHER AMOUNT OF DEEP PACIFIC MOISTURE...AND A LONGERPRECIPITATION DURATION. FOR THIS ISSUANCE...HAVE INCREASED POPS INTOHIGH CHANCE.

Basically what the models are doing is trending more towards a clipper like system.

Note here..

gfs_slp_096s.gif

Now this.

gfs_200_096s.gif

and this.

gfs_300_096s.gif

The southern system that had been showing no longer is and thus now becoming more northern dominated and thus more clipper like a it passes through.

However GRR ( WDM ) has another point on it. It is a bit of a read but a very nice read. He mentions the artic shot and why it may not all come down.

BASED ON THE LATEST GUIDANCE I SEE LITTLE QUESTION WINTER LIKE

WEATHER WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THIS COMING WEEK. THE SYSTEM ON

TUESDAY CONTINUES TO LOOK BETTER AND BETTER AS THERE HAS BEEN MORE

CONSISTENCY IN THAT THE SYSTEM WILL BE THERE AND IT WILL BE FAR

ENOUGH NORTH TO BRING US A SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION EVENT. WHEN WE

ARE NOT UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF A SYNOPTIC SCALE STORM SYSTEM...

WINDS WILL BE FROM A VARIATION OF A WESTERLY DIRECTION (NO HIGH OVER

CENTRAL CANADA PASSING JUST NORTH OF US TO BRING EASTERLY WINDS) SO

LAKE EFFECT WILL BE ON GOING THROUGH THE WEEK WHEN THERE IS NOT

SYNOPTIC SNOWFALL OCCURRING. THEN COMES THE ISSUE OF THAT AIR MASS

FROM THE SIBERIAN ARCTIC. I STILL BELIEVE THAT WILL BRING US THE

COLDEST WEATHER OF THE WINTER BUT THE QUESTION NOW IS WHEN? MY

CONFIDENCE IN THE GENERAL OUT COME OF THIS FORECAST IS HIGH BUT MY

CONFIDENCE IN THE DETAILS IS RATHER LOW SINCE THE PATTERN IS SO

ANOMALOUS.

ON THE HEMISPHERIC SCALE... OUR MAIN ISSUE CONTINUES TO BE A

COMBINATION OF THE HIGH LATITUDE BLOCKING NORTHWEST OF ALASKA

THANK TO THAT ANOMALOUSLY STRONG UPPER HIGH (3-4 STANDARD DEVIATIONS

FROM NORMAL)AND THE EAST ASIAN JET CROSSING THE PACIFIC NEAR 35N

WITH WINDS UP TO 210 KNOTS IN THE CORE OF THE JET (JUST EAST OF

JAPAN ON SUNDAY). ONE THING THE ECMWF DOES THAT I AM NOT TO WARM

AND FUSSY WITH IS IT SEEMS TO WANT TO BREAK DOWN THE WESTERN RIDGE

WAY TO QUICKLY COMPARED THE GFS. ON THE OTHER HAND THERE IS THAT 210

KNOT JET CORE WEST OF THE DATELINE BY MONDAY EVENING. THAT IS WHY

THE ECMWF DOES NOT BRING DOWN AS COLD OF AIR LATE IN THE WEEK AS THE

GFS DOES. THE LOW LEVEL THICKNESS FIELDS (1000/925 MB ) SO EVEN

THROUGH THE ECMWF DOES NOT BRING THE CORE OF THE COLDEST AIR INTO

LOWER MICHIGAN THIS COMING WEEK IT DOES BRING AIR COLD ENOUGH TO

GIVE SW LOWER MICHIGAN HIGHS IN THE TEENS IN PLACE THE SECOND HALF

OF NEXT WEEK. IN FACT ON THURSDAY AND FRIDAY IT SHOWS THE COLDEST

AIR GOING SOUTH OF MI THROUGH NORTHERN INDIANA. THE 1000/925 MB

THICKNESS FROM THE ECMWF WOULD BRING HIGHS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS TO

AREA SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 94 THURSDAY AND MAYBE FRIDAY. FOR NOW I DID

NOT CHANGE OUR FORECAST GRIDDED TEMPS TO MUCH IT WILL BE COLDER THAN

NORMAL WED THROUGH FRIDAY.

AS FOR OUR STORM ON TUESDAY... BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF PLAY THE MAIN

SURFACE LOW WITH THE NORTHERN STREAM JET CORE. I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH

BOTH OF THOSE SOLUTIONS. THE STRONGEST WINDS ON BOTH MODELS ARE

SOUTH OF KENTUCKY. I HAVE TO WONDER IF WE WOULD SEE A COLD FRONT

OCCLUSION GO BY US TUESDAY WITH THE PRIMARY SYSTEM IN EFFECT WOULD

STAY SOUTH. THAT WOULD KEEP THE PRECIPITATION ALL SNOW HERE TUESDAY

AS WE WOULD BE IN THE OCCLUSION LIFT ZONE OF THE SYSTEM. EITHER WAY

850 MB TEMPS NEAR 20 BELOW ZERO FOLLOW THE SYSTEM AND THAT WILL

SURELY GENERATE LAKE EFFECT SNOW SO I INCREASE THE POP NEAR THE LAKE

SHORE FOR WEDNESDAY TO SHOW THAT IMPACT.

Not liking the 00z/06z model trends. A good snow event across the Upper Midwest (Clipper style like Harry mentioned), not much across the Ohio Valley, and then a coastal low that at least does provide some lake effect to the Great Lakes. :gun_bandana:

Yep. We need a stronger southern system to come out of Texas. This as is ( if it verifies as 00z shows ) would be another snoozefest for most ( story of our winter so what i would favor at this point ) and a total waste of energy once again for us. Without a stronger southern system tracking to Lake Erie we are basically dead in the water as far as any meaningful snow goes outside the areas you mention.

Still could come back but again with the way this winter has gone i would not place any bets on it.

The good thing is that if this pans out as currently modeled, we'll actually have a chance to retain some snow cover. This is nothing like the New Years debacle.

AMEN!

Worst case scenario (no big storm), its still several inches of snow here on Mon/Tue, and that is in addition to the 1-2" we will be getting tonight/tomorrow morning, and we got over a half inch last night with a solid 5" on the ground. We *could* be on the way to building up a nice snowpack, something that I (as you know) LOVE.

That said, I know what many are looking for, and I want it too...and thats a big bomb. My gut feeling of it coming in Feb or Mar (along with our "backloaded" winter) has not waivered, and I would continue to say that whether we had bare ground now or whether we had nickeled and dimed our way to a 2-ft depth.

Amazingly little spread in the 0Z ECM 50 member ensemble mean wrt its operational run. GFS has cut its spread significantly too and generally tracks the low much farther N and weaker with less Gulf moisture as the guidance are now keying in on the leading S/W tracking just ahead of the Canadian vortex/cold air spill into the high plains with a phase over the northern plains. Means a lot of areas will see snow--but it means some areas may cash in less than before.

500 hpa height @ 96:

post-999-0-06494700-1295011374.gif

MSLP @ 96:

post-999-0-16424800-1295011416.gif

You said it right there (bolded). The dynamical assessment they make is odd, and the real reasoning lies in the way the guidance handles the upper level height field and associated wave disturbances.

IS it possible for the southern low to phase with the north low. From what I see it doesnt even come close. I would assume if it does a more NW track is likely.

IS it possible for the southern low to phase with the north low. From what I see it doesnt even come close. I would assume if it does a more NW track is likely.

Probabilities and careful wording are the key to the forecasting game thumbsupsmileyanim.gif.

It is not 100 percent sure that a northern wave will verify, but it is such a small chance that a dominant southern wave/overunning type event verifies that it really isn't worth giving much credence (I say 90/10 % northern wave solution/southern wave solution).

There is very little chance now that the southern stream dominant waves like the CMC pans out. It does seem the first S/W will phase with the canadian vortex with a secondary wave disturbance passing into the southern states near the GOM. The dominant first wave will be our cyclone--the secondary wave won't do much of anything.

Archived