northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 17-19th Plains/MW/Lakes Storm Potential

A-L-E-K

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calling them weenies probably wasn't the best way to say I am not sure what exactly they are saying. After all they have the degrees and I am a novice. Lets not get all sensitive here. Wasn't meant to insult, just question.

I am not sensitive but that was a cheap shot by you. Not the way to question a met with a degree. I know the guy well enough to know he is far from a weenie and knows more then most on this board does.

Storm fail making people a little testy/sensitive around here? :popcorn:

Its not even onshore yet so to jump to the conclusion of a fail is crazy. A day ago some models had it going alot further south in the plains. It's trending like the dec 12 storm though. This time around theres no block to the north preventing this thing from going into upper michigan.

in the period of storm uncertainty, there are many times where you read AFDs and they can all be from neighboring offices, and each office picks or mentions the solution that gives them the most snow as being favored.....i guess in that way you get analyiss of various models.

that is the main reason why i dont even read mid range and long range AFDs anymore, ever,in order to get more certainty. i used to read them ALL the time, but now i would say my AFD usage is 5% of what it used to be, which is a huge drop off. i do enjoy reading AFDs from all the offices when the forecast is pretty certain and there is a widespread storm, unfrotuantely hasnt happened much lately :(

otherwise i get more info from discussion on this board during storm uncertainty.

I am not sensitive but that was a cheap shot by you. Not the way to question a met with a degree. I know the guy well enough to know he is far from a weenie and knows more then most on this board does.

I don't doubt that he knows more than any of us. That being said if I read other AFD's I can respectfully disagree and question. Sure weenie wasn't very respectful and could be seen as an insult, but I was joking. If you want to take it and put a negative spin on there's not much I can do about that. Have a good one y'all.

I think people are jumping off this potential way too quickly, the energy is not ashore yet.

What's with the depressed feel to this room? Many of you are still in the game, and aside we haven't even seen the 12z runs aside the NAM. GFS incoming.

Honestly I don't know why anyone is depressed. As said earlier, a large portion of the region will be seeing accumulating snow and some very winter-like conditions.

Honestly I don't know why anyone is depressed. As said earlier, a large portion of the region will be seeing accumulating snow and some very winter-like conditions.

The problem is you personally started to downplay the potential a little bit and people jumped off the bridge. I think this has a lot of potential left and to say any potential option being off the table is premature.

I think there's a bit of a malaise setting in over these modest snowfalls. There's a wide swath of geography between IA/WI and the East Coast that has yet to see warning criteria snowfall.

The problem is you personally started to downplay the potential a little bit and people jumped off the bridge. I think this has a lot of potential left and to say any potential option being off the table is premature.

OMG I didnt personally downplay anything. I said the southern solution was unlikely to verify....

Posted again since the words were apparently not understood.

"Amazingly little spread in the 0Z ECM 50 member ensemble mean wrt its operational run. GFS has cut its spread significantly too and generally tracks the low much farther N and weaker with less Gulf moisture as the guidance are now keying in on the leading S/W tracking just ahead of the Canadian vortex/cold air spill into the high plains with a phase over the northern plains. Means a lot of areas will see snow--but it means some areas may cash in less than before."

OMG I didnt personally downplay anything. I said the southern solution was unlikely to verify....

Baro I'm not trying to take a shot at you at all the point is though is when people see 'less phasing' or 'lack of southern influence' they read that as weaker solution, even if you don't mean that.

Please don't get that I'm playing debbie downer for the entire region. Not the case at all. But for LAF/central Indiana, our prospects are slim to none. Writing is on the wall with most of the guidance pointing to a warm/rainy solution for this neck of the woods. North of here looks to be very much in the game for accumulating snows.

Regardless, I won't clutter the thread with any more of my negativity for MBY. :lol::)

Posted again since the words were apparently not understood.

"Amazingly little spread in the 0Z ECM 50 member ensemble mean wrt its operational run. GFS has cut its spread significantly too and generally tracks the low much farther N and weaker with less Gulf moisture as the guidance are now keying in on the leading S/W tracking just ahead of the Canadian vortex/cold air spill into the high plains with a phase over the northern plains. Means a lot of areas will see snow--but it means some areas may cash in less than before."

Quite honestly a southern solution would have been worse, and a lot of folks would have seen rain as I mentioned last night--especially in the southern OV. The current running GFS shows a northern solution can be quite good.

Quite honestly a southern solution would have been worse, and a lot of folks would have seen rain as I mentioned last night--especially in the southern OV. The current running GFS shows a northern solution can be quite good.

The thing is those to the north who have missed out, probably would be better off with a more phased system, obviously it has a higher ceiling than a unphased solution.

lol, no one was freaking out, then someone said people were freaking out and a shytstorm ensues.

Phrases I’m looking forward to never hearing again “It hasn’t been sampled” and “anything can happen”, it has been sampled, and anything most certainly can’t happen.

Some people were hoping for a classic panhandle hooker, looks pretty unlikely. Some will still see snow, lets move on.

Quite good for who? Yourself and those in MN again perhaps? The southern solution would have worked out alot better for more folks in these parts. This screws alot more people. Lets not kid ourselves here.

The thing is those to the north who have missed out, probably would be better off with a more phased system, obviously it has a higher ceiling than a unphased solution.

Yes perhaps, but the simple fact is I said the truth and put the forecast on the line as I saw it--a northern solution with an early phase and not a GOM low. I don't know how else to say it but "Means a lot of areas will see snow--but it means some areas may cash in less than before."

Folks will just have to realize our region is massive, and not every single person will get exactly what they want very often. I think it is advisable for everyone here not to take the forecasts and skew them the wrong way. Everyone here honestly needs to lighten up and stop reading things and reacting immediately. "OMG baroclinic_instability is saying nothing will happen since a southern solution may not verify". Come on folks...grow up.

lol, no one was freaking out, then someone said people were freaking out and a shytstorm ensues.

Phrases I’m looking forward to never hearing again “It hasn’t been sampled” and “anything can happen”, it has been sampled, and anything most certainly can’t happen.

Some people were hoping for a classic panhandle hooker, looks pretty unlikely. Some will still see snow, lets move on.

Alek you are just wrong, the Pacific other than ship and satellite is a vast data void. So to say it has been sampled is about as loose of the term as you can get.

Yes perhaps, but the simple fact is I said the truth and put the forecast on the line as I saw it--a northern solution with an early phase and not a GOM low. I don't know how else to say it but "Means a lot of areas will see snow--but it means some areas may cash in less than before."

Folks will just have to realize our region is massive, and not every single person will get exactly what they want very often. I think it is advisable for everyone here not to take the forecasts and skew them the wrong way. Everyone here honestly needs to lighten up and stop reading things and reacting immediately. "OMG baroclinic_instability is saying nothing will happen since a souther solution may not verify". Come on folks...grow up.

I am just stating why people are getting all down on it, I have no stake on what solution verifies as both solutions bring me considerable amounts of snow.

I always thought it would cut...just not a Des Moines Hooker.....confusing :unsure: say the least. Never like our big snows to have the center go north of us...in Chicago

Archived