Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 17-19th Plains/MW/Lakes Storm Potential

A-L-E-K

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be a bit leery of going by the thermal profile this far out, normally a track north of us doesn't keep the warm air away

LOL you should be leary of anything this far out haha, compare the previous runs of the gfs, this 00z totally loses the big storm to the south basically. But verbatum this run is all snow, and I have seen that happen many times where a storm will track north and we stay all or mostly all snow, ESPECIALLY in mid-winter. Now, dry slot could be another story, but I cant even belive im talking specifics about a storm that the models are pretty clueless on.

LOL you should be leary of anything this far out haha, compare the previous runs of the gfs, this 00z totally loses the big storm to the south basically. But verbatum this run is all snow, and I have seen that happen many times where a storm will track north and we stay all or mostly all snow, ESPECIALLY in mid-winter. Now, dry slot could be another story, but I cant even belive im talking specifics about a storm that the models are pretty clueless on.

No I know Josh, I am just talking about this specific run.

Looks quite similar to the 12Z ECM op run regarding the northern stream pattern/phase, the track of the low, and the thermals.

Even the last few runs (12, 18z) when the GFS was showing a somewhat wetter storm, it never really looked that impressive at H5. Just this low amplitude blip in the mean flow that deepened modestly as it chugged along. Not really the setup I'd expect aloft for a big storm.

Not sure if you think the models are correct in this regard?

Even the last few runs (12, 18z) when the GFS was showing a somewhat wetter storm, it never really looked that impressive at H5. Just this low amplitude blip in the mean flow that deepened modestly as it chugged along. Not really the setup I'd expect aloft for a big storm.

The wet solutions were wetter mainly due to the amplification and deeper diving trough and subsequent GOM fetch. Things are still real close here. Eventually what we are looking at here is a phase of either one or multiple low amplitude waves with the canadian vortex. The exact timing of that phase around 84-96 hrs determines how far S the trough develops. This is why we have seen such disparate solutions regarding the latitude of the surface low.

Phasing is a tough beast for the models to simulate. If all else were equal, higher resolution models will perform better in this regard. I give the ECMWF the edge here--and the fact the GFS is trending towards a ECM solution does not surprise me here since we are dealing with such a low amplitude phase.

The wet solutions were wetter mainly due to the amplification and deeper diving trough and subsequent GOM fetch. Things are still real close here. Eventually what we are looking at here is a phase of either one or multiple low amplitude waves with the canadian vortex. When that happens determines how far S the trough develops. This is why we have seen such disparate solutions regarding the latitude of the surface low.

Well, so long as you think a wetter solution is plausible, I'll clench my towel firmly in my hand.

The wet solutions were wetter mainly due to the amplification and deeper diving trough and subsequent GOM fetch. Things are still real close here. Eventually what we are looking at here is a phase of either one or multiple low amplitude waves with the canadian vortex. The exact timing of that phase around 84-96 hrs determines how far S the trough develops. This is why we have seen such disparate solutions regarding the latitude of the surface low.

That looks like what the 0z GGEM is doing.

That looks like what the 0z GGEM is doing.

Ugh I hate those black and white maps. But yeah, after glancing, it is way more amplified. Really this forecast happens at about 72-78 hours. How the incoming west coast low amplitude wave interacts with the Canadian vortex--that determines how this all plays out.

Skilling earlier:

But the system with the greatest potential for sticking snow-production here next Monday night and Tuesday may be the one which was situated northwest of Hawaii beneath the "nose" (leading edge) of a powerhouse 225 mph Pacific jet stream late Wednesday. Jet stream winds of that strength are atypical and have been known to help spin-up vigorous storm systems. It makes this system one to monitor.

The surface low it helps spin-up early next week is likely to move from Wyoming across Nebraska Monday and into downstate Illinois Tuesday. Not only will Gulf moisture be available to this potential storm, but so may lake moisture riding NNE winds on its North Side.

Archived