• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 17-19th Plains/MW/Lakes Storm Potential

A-L-E-K

If even a moderate intensity wave disturbance aloft managed to pass through the northern Rockies with the incoming jet streak and the cold air spilling through the canadian prairies, it would get interesting fast. Right now a pretty low probability event, but I wouldn't say something more extreme than the current 12z GFS op is unlikely.

post-999-0-32982300-1294939159.png

nicely said, and all that can really be said at this point, will be interesting to watch and hopefully we can get something better than what we have got lately.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES if you are under that convection when the snow is falling. The issue is convection on the warm side of the storm and not in where the cold/wintry precip is falling. :)

Right, I know what you are saying. I probably should not have used that direct example. But the discussion as a whole is a good example that there are no definitives in meteorology, e.g., convection robs moisture, cold air means high snow ratios, etc. Going straight back to the latest KU bomb yesterday, convection not only forced extreme pressure falls, but the convective band was fed directly into the ageo active portion of the jet streak with a large portion wrapping back into the storm.

I am not disputing what you are saying, just saying it can go both ways. I have seen convection decrease precipitation potential as well depending on the setup.

post-999-0-28025400-1294941146.gif

You can see the leading convection along the cold front rising isentropically to fill the void left by the mass amounts of divergence with the increasingly active jet as the tropopause fold passed east.

post-999-0-13856800-1294941179.png

Right, I know what you are saying. I probably should not have used that direct example. But the discussion as a whole is a good example that there are no definitives in meteorology, e.g., convection robs moisture, cold air means high snow ratios, etc. Going straight back to the latest KU bomb yesterday, convection not only forced extreme pressure falls, but the convective band was fed directly into the ageo active portion of the jet streak with a large portion wrapping back into the storm and the deformation band.

I am not disputing what you are saying, just saying it can go both ways. I have seen convection decrease precipitation potential as well depending on the setup.

You can see the leading edge of convection developing into the defo band on WV.

Oh i agree with that. BTW i would have found a system from this side of the apps to use as a example because obviously having that huge moisture supplier ( The Atlantic Ocean ) right next to them helps a ton. :P

Agree...although I don't really like where I sit with this one. Gut feeling...This has that snow/rain/mix feel to it in my backyard (a far northern IL/WI/MI special).

Disclaimer: Obviously this is not a forecast as doing so this far in advance is pointless

I think your in good position.

I would rather see something some what unorganized giving most everyone some winter, then a wrapped up torch that kills everyone's snow and hits Iowa to Green Bay.

but that seems extremely un-likely.

Does anyone have the Ukmet after 72 hours? Like Precip and temp maps.

Right, I know what you are saying. I probably should not have used that direct example. But the discussion as a whole is a good example that there are no definitives in meteorology, e.g., convection robs moisture, cold air means high snow ratios, etc. Going straight back to the latest KU bomb yesterday, convection not only forced extreme pressure falls, but the convective band was fed directly into the ageo active portion of the jet streak with a large portion wrapping back into the storm.

You can see the leading convection along the cold front rising isentropically to fill the void left by the mass amounts of divergence with the increasingly active jet as the tropopause fold passed east.

yeah thats a great example, i was up watching the whole thing unfold and the instability line fed directly into the CCB very impressive!

i think ORH has a post about it dissecting all that went down, in the SNE thread.

Wait and see mode like some others have said. I'd probably rather be a little farther north but this could still work here. I'd be foolish to write it off with how we've weaseled our way into several moderate events this winter, although this setup is unlike many we have seen so far.

Wait and see mode like some others have said. I'd probably rather be a little farther north but this could still work here. I'd be foolish to write it off with how we've weaseled our way into several moderate events this winter, although this setup is unlike many we have seen so far.

Does look like we'll be close to either side of the system..

It looks to me that we may get into a nice west to east band of 3-6 inches running along and north of I70 before the southern storm takes hold and warms us up. The op gfs has shown a nice band of snow quite a few runs in a row through 120 hours...But its still all up in the air. Like you said maybe we can weasel a decent snow out before to much warm air pours in.

Archived