amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC Jan. 12 Regional Obs Thread

Sickman

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I measured 9.8 on Staten Island and there is an official observation in Great Kills of 11 so I would definitely throw that 5.8 out, there is always an extremely low spotter for us here, it must be him/her. I don't know if we got 11 though either. Id say 9-10 sounds about right as we did get into the heavier bands that Manhattan and NE Jersey did.

Dude..I'm at ~42 " now..30" 12/26...3 scrappy inches with 0.5 type events prior plus the norlun..and now the roughly 9-10 with this one.

If somebody told me I would have this much snow on 1/12 I would have laughed in their face.

You're certainly making up for all the screwjobs you got in the winters before last winter. I am only at 29 inches for the winter, despite being only a few miles to your south. Which is still great, obviously. But somehow you keep getting under the best bands last winter and this winter, and keep getting more overall than areas around you. But you certainly deserve it, since you did so poorly before last winter. The snow Gods make sure that things even out.

14.5" total here in Dobbs Ferry, NY.

33" on the season, just a very impressive winter with the constant cold and major Nor'easters coming in quick succession. A better winter than last year in my opinion.

High of 31.2F today after a low of 22.4F....another day that stayed below freezing in the frigid winter of 10-11.

I concur on both the snow total and your analysis of this winter.

last winter lacked true cold.

hopefully the next system (150) doesnt disappoint

I measured 9.8 on Staten Island and there is an official observation in Great Kills of 11 so I would definitely throw that 5.8 out, there is always an extremely low spotter for us here, it must be him/her. I don't know if we got 11 though either. Id say 9-10 sounds about right as we did get into the heavier bands that Manhattan and NE Jersey did.

And that Great Kills observer is always too high, every storm. The NWS deleted those obs on a couple of occasions last winter.

14.5" total here in Dobbs Ferry, NY.

33" on the season, just a very impressive winter with the constant cold and major Nor'easters coming in quick succession. A better winter than last year in my opinion.

High of 31.2F today after a low of 22.4F....another day that stayed below freezing in the frigid winter of 10-11.

us ftw..you send your total to upton?

UNION 7.5 1015 AM 1/12 SKYWARN SPOTTER

GARWOOD 7.5 645 AM 1/12 PUBLIC

ELIZABETH 7.3 830 AM 1/12 NJ DOT

CLARK 7.3 800 AM 1/12 NJ DOT

CRANFORD 7.0 900 AM 1/12 SKYWARN SPOTTER

7.3 was also my measurement. All these places are less than 20 minutes from me. Measured the same method I did on 12/26-27 storm. Does anyone still want to say I don't know how to measure?

To say that this has been an amazing stretch of snows for my area would be an understatement.

December 19 09, Feb 10 2010, Feb 26 2010, December 26 2010, Jan 12 2010..all double digit snowfalls. The past 13 months have featured 100 inches of snow.

These past two winters have been historic...it could be sunny and 45 the rest of this winter; and they still would be.

To say that this has been an amazing stretch of snows for my area would be an understatement.

December 19 09, Feb 10 2010, Feb 26 2010, December 26 2010, Jan 12 2010..all double digit snowfalls. The past 13 months have featured 100 inches of snow.

These past two winters have been historic...it could be sunny and 45 the rest of this winter; and they still would be.

Agreed John, I honestly wouldn't care if winter ended right now. We've had so many big nor'easters over the past 13 months it's become almost like a garden variety T-storm! 5 12"+ snows, 2 of them 20"+.

I've had 106.5" of snow, last winter and this winter combined thus far. Since 2000, I've recorded approximately 375" of snow, simply remarkable.

Season to Date Snowfall

Through This Afternoon

Newark Airport: 35.9"

Bridgeport (Sikorsky Airport): 33.2"

Islip Airport: 31.5"

Central Park: 30.9"

JFK Airport: 22.9"

LaGuardia Airport: 22.3"

Newark's doing very well this winter. Just behind them at 34.5".

Although we've seen a lot of big snows - the La Nina staple still exists in the pattern as we see a clear decreasing trend in totals further SW. Wash DC has not seen much snow at all this winter, with PHL about in the middle, and BOS/NYC pretty much neck and neck.

It could be, but that would be TOO early for winter to end lol.

Archived