• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sun Angle starting to get stronger

Mikehobbyst

An interesting activity is to monitor the shadow lengths each weekend going forward. Within the last week's time, the slight angle increase is perceptable to the eye. February is amazing to watch the sun angle go from a winter appearance to more of an early spring appearance in a short four weeks. In 4 weeks Sublimination of snow pack will increase exponentially on exposed snow. Snow sustainability will start to suffer at that time if there is full insolation and even 30 degree temps. The pattern may stay great for the whole winter stretch through February but the axial tilt and Mr. Sun starting his slow return to higher declination will be the ultimate end to this great winter. It can not go on forever. The Arctic airmasses will start to get more stale over the area within weeks, even if the supply stays on. The most simple things are amazing to watch. The winter will have to end eventually.

Definitely noticeable at 41N latitude (about where I am in the NY metro area). Sunsets are increasing at a rate of about 40 seconds/day, and sunrises are getting earlier at a rate of about 15 seconds/day, so we're gaining about a minute of light per day now, and we've added about 15 minutes to the length of the day in the 3 weeks since the solstice.

Nah means more daylight for running after work. Running in light means less depression.

Agree. I get through Nov-Dec bc of the Holidays and all the lights make it nice, but I far prefer the greater light coming and after all, February is more the King of Winter than any month (in the East) so you get most of history's greatest blizzards AND mood enhancing light.

Definitely noticeable at 41N latitude (about where I am in the NY metro area). Sunsets are increasing at a rate of about 40 seconds/day, and sunrises are getting earlier at a rate of about 15 seconds/day, so we're gaining about a minute of light per day now, and we've added about 15 minutes to the length of the day in the 3 weeks since the solstice.

Here in NW Montgomery County, PA 40.93N, the sunrise is now 1 minute later than the winter solstice, sunset is 18 minutes later, for a net gain of 17 minutes of daylight. I agree with others that the increase in angle of sun depends on latitude. Here the increase in maximum altitude of sun since solstice is exactly 2 degrees, from 26.2 to 28.2. By February 1st the maximum altitude of sun will be 32.6.

Well all of this sun angle talk will come to play when we're dealing with a snowstorm threat in mid February and especially March.

I've been under that assumption like some probably are that we can't get a good snowfall in mid to late February or March due to the sun angle. Last winter easily killed that myth will the snowstorms all the way into late February. I think the sun angle myth only applies when we're forecast to get very light snows (1-3") during the midday hours and the temperatures are 30-33F, then it'll be difficult to accumulate on the roads at least.

Well all of this sun angle talk will come to play when we're dealing with a snowstorm threat in mid February and especially March.

I've been under that assumption like some probably are that we can't get a good snowfall in mid to late February or March due to the sun angle. Last winter easily killed that myth will the snowstorms all the way into late February. I think the sun angle myth only applies when we're forecast to get very light snows (1-3") during the midday hours and the temperatures are 30-33F, then it'll be difficult to accumulate on the roads at least.

This is exactly why I think it is just a myth. In mid january snow has trouble accumulating on roads during the midday hours with light precip rates and marginal temps. This is the case in nov jan and april, and sun angle obviously doesn't help in nov and april but my point is that there are only very few situations where it is a legitimate concern.

Here in NW Montgomery County, PA 40.93N, the sunrise is now 1 minute later than the winter solstice, sunset is 18 minutes later, for a net gain of 17 minutes of daylight. I agree with others that the increase in angle of sun depends on latitude. Here the increase in maximum altitude of sun since solstice is exactly 2 degrees, from 26.2 to 28.2. By February 1st the maximum altitude of sun will be 32.6.

How are you 40.93 in Montgomery County when I'm 40.78 in Schuylkill?

This is total BS. Sun angle is a non factor in February and fairly irrelevant until the latter half of March.

Dobbs Ferry had 48" of snow in February 2010.

We had two major snowfalls (6"+) in the latter parts of March 2004.

March 2009 (10") was the biggest storm since February 2006 here.

Archived