• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sun Angle starting to get stronger

Mikehobbyst

This is total BS. Sun angle is a non factor in February and fairly irrelevant until the latter half of March.

Dobbs Ferry had 48" of snow in February 2010.

We had two major snowfalls (6"+) in the latter parts of March 2004.

March 2009 (10") was the biggest storm since February 2006 here.

Right, which is why I said it's generally a myth. I'm just stating the fact that a lot of people are going to assume we won't get a good snowfall come later February and March. I don't believe that the sun angle matters until late March, but a lot of people do think that the sun angle matters for February and up to mid March.

This is total BS. Sun angle is a non factor in February and fairly irrelevant until the latter half of March.

Dobbs Ferry had 48" of snow in February 2010.

We had two major snowfalls (6"+) in the latter parts of March 2004.

March 2009 (10") was the biggest storm since February 2006 here.

Sun angle does become a factor though with respect to roadways starting in late February. You need moderate to heavy snow to keep it accumulating on them during the day. I wont forget the surreal drive to 30 Rock I had on a Saturday morning in early April from Yorktown for a day shift. There was 6" of snow on everything, but less than an inch of slush on the development roads. All the birds were hopping along the roadways because they were the only bare spots. When I got home that afternoon, the only snow that was left on the grass was on the north side of the house.

Sun angle does become a factor though with respect to roadways starting in late February. You need moderate to heavy snow to keep it accumulating on them during the day. I wont forget the surreal drive to 30 Rock I had on a Saturday morning in early April from Yorktown for a day shift. There was 6" of snow on everything, but less than an inch of slush on the development roads. All the birds were hopping along the roadways because they were the only bare spots. When I got home that afternoon, the only snow that was left on the grass was on the north side of the house.

Yes agreed, I noticed the 2/25 Snowicane was slushy on major roadways here until the sun set and temperatures dropped below freezing...there was a drastic dive in temperature as the sun set while the low pressure simultaneously occluded, from 33F to around 29F.

Are you talking about April 2003? Clearly, April events are a different ballgame in terms of sun angle...I think our discussion was more about the mid February to mid March time frame, when I find the sun angle to be fairly irrelevant.

Yes agreed, I noticed the 2/25 Snowicane was slushy on major roadways here until the sun set and temperatures dropped below freezing...there was a drastic dive in temperature as the sun set while the low pressure simultaneously occluded, from 33F to around 29F.

Are you talking about April 2003? Clearly, April events are a different ballgame in terms of sun angle...I think our discussion was more about the mid February to mid March time frame, when I find the sun angle to be fairly irrelevant.

I'm older than the hills, it was April of 1990.

I realize you were talking about earlier in the year, it was just a different experience for me to see that and that occurred at night.

Archived