• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

Coastal front continues to back west into eastern CT - another sign the low may make landfall over the Twin Forks.

Groton, CT and Newport, RI both reporting rain now!

METAR KGON 120956Z AUTO 03018G30KT 3SM RA BR BKN020 OVC026 01/M01 A2935 RMK AO2 PK WND 04032/0940 RAB08E16B38SNE38 SLP938 P0020 T00061006

METAR KUUU 120953Z AUTO 04016G25KT 7SM -RA OVC008 01/00 A2943 RMK AO2 PKWND 05030/0909 UPB37E42RAB42SNE37 CIG 006V010 PRESFR SLP965P0010 T00060000

Wow, I wonder if it will stall somewhere around there. I was looking at regional temps and it looks like Boston might mix for a time too, and its raining on the south coast of MA.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the low deepening more rapidly than any model forecast, winds are ramping up faster than expected too. Parts of Suffolk County will likely see an hour or 2 of blizzard conditions as the deformation bands moves through, though the official blizzard criteria of at least 3 straight hours of <1/4 visibility and > 35 mph gusts probably won't be met.

SPECI KFOK 121011Z AUTO 30023G34KT 1/4SM +SN SCT003 OVC008 M01/M04 A2943 RMK AO2 PK WND 30034/1006 P0001 FZRANO TSNO

METAR KISP 120856Z 34021G29KT 1/2SM R06/3000V3500FT SN FZFG BKN002

BKN008 OVC017 M01/M04 A2949 RMK AO2 PK WND 34032/0812 PLE01

SLP988 SNINCR 1/10 P0003 60049 T10111039 56035

METAR KHWV 120956Z AUTO 31019G23KT 1/2SM SN FZFG VV004 M01/M02 A2948 RMK AO2 PK WND 32033/0933 SLP984 P0001 T10111017 TSNO $

Wow, I wonder if it will stall somewhere around there. I was looking at regional temps and it looks like Boston might mix for a time too, and its raining on the south coast of MA.

Hyannis reporting +RN at 34/32. Can't believe Groton switched to rain as well. They are reporting moderate rain at 33/31; are their 850s above 0C, then?

WOW. RUC definitely deserves props for this storm...

Absolutely...it's been leading the way since the shortwave was over the Rockies. It was coming in more amplified like the NAM with the heights over the Plains and height rises over the east coast.

Significant kudos.

Also had the band reaching NE NJ since this morning..never waivered. Couldnt find one other model that accurately forecast it.

BUFKIT for EWR on a RUC run earlier yesterday aftn (Tues) showed 9.2" and they came in with 8.6 at 4am.

A++

The streets should be fine for the am rush if my street is any indication of the snow removal efforts....I've seen the front end loader go past twice followed by a plow truck/salter. Road is black. That didn't happen in the blizz until the sun melted the snow away. Im not suprised school is open in nyc

Well, areas just to the north and east of the city are receiving in excess of a foot; thus, some teachers or students who commute from there would face more difficulty commuting to the city due to train and bus delays. Also, wind chills are in the single digits in most places now. It's also interesting to note that during the February 10 storm of last year, Bloomberg closed the schools even though we received almost the same amount of snow then as we did with this storm.

I am at work here at Fleetweather in East Fishkill. We have 11 inches. My son in Danbury just measured 12". What a trooper. He has a day off from school and I woke him up to take a measurment.

thanks for the update. Wouldn't be surprised if someone in western CT hits 20" before the real heavy snow starts to taper off...

its still snowing moderately here...we could get close to 15 or 16

I'm probably going to end up with around 16" or so....had 13.5" about a half hour ago and still looks pretty good on radar. This was definitely an unexpected surprise and pushes me well past the total I had in the Boxing Day event. Very impressive winter so far with over 30" snow already having fallen in Westchester.

nantucket gusting to 46 last hr. this storm means bidness.

Take a look at OKX 0.5 velocity...winds just to the rear of the surface low are really cranking up. I'd say expect gusts aoa hurricane force from Montauk to Nantucket right after the low passes. Very reminiscent of the 12/09/2005 bombogenesis event in that regard.

Take a look at OKX 0.5 velocity...winds just to the rear of the surface low are really cranking up. I'd say expect gusts aoa hurricane force from Montauk to Nantucket right after the low passes. Very reminiscent of the 12/09/2005 bombogenesis event in that regard.

thanks. I forecasted that event. It was quite a surprise indeed!!

Well, areas just to the north and east of the city are receiving in excess of a foot; thus, some teachers or students who commute from there would face more difficulty commuting to the city due to train and bus delays. Also, wind chills are in the single digits in most places now. It's also interesting to note that during the February 10 storm of last year, Bloomberg closed the schools even though we received almost the same amount of snow then as we did with this storm.

I dont think those people will risk their lives just for one single school day (nor should they.) We didnt have any snow days when I was in HS (from lack of snow lol), but Im telling you right now.....whether the school was closed or not, there is NOWAY I would go to school in this kind of weather (or work for that matter.) I hope their attendance is like 10% lol.

The pressure falls at Montauk are extraordinary. 15 hpa in 4 hours--can't wait to see the next ob. Offshore buoy is 989, so Montauk should be there if not 988/987 next ob.

I dont think those people will risk their lives just for one single school day (nor should they.) We didnt have any snow days when I was in HS (from lack of snow lol), but Im telling you right now.....whether the school was closed or not, there is NOWAY I would go to school in this kind of weather (or work for that matter.) I hope their attendance is like 10% lol.

This is not as dumb as them opening for 2/11/94 but its close, just because so many areas where teachers and staff would commute from received over a foot

Archived