joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably got about six inches with the norlun. Interior Fairfield County did much better with it.

yep, up by shelton they had 11.5, but for us between the boxing day storm the norlun a couple minor events and now this, we have surpassed our average winter snowfall on 1/12, a special winter, shades of 95-96.

They did do well with it, and are off to a great start his year. Danbury had near 120" in 95-96 and have to be pushing what, 30-40" after this storm for the season?

DXR will have had:

- 14.5" from the blizzard

- 10" from the Norlun

- 22" (?) from this - guessing from current reports of 17-20 (I have 18.5" in Ridgefield) while still on W. edge of deform band which now wants to curl back west.

Un-fkn-real

What did you get 6 inches..in the 70's 80's and 90's..that would have been a GREAT STORM..CP got 9..a very nice winter storm!

There are a few qualifiers that kept this from being a great storm (even with 10 inches)-- good-- but not great.... 1) very short duration 2) total night time event.

Also, In the 90s, we had two epic winters, which made me pretty much not care what the other winters were like. I loved the 90s lol.

lol the sky is clearing here-- we'll be able to see the sun when it comes up.

I didnt realize how wet the snow was-- I can see trees sagging down with the weight of the snow. I wouldnt be surprised if the ratios were less than 10:1 here-- it would explain some of the lower snowfall totals out in Queens.

14 now at ISP...even Levittown and Plainview had over a foot...someone in Suffolk may see 20-25, that band over SW CT by the way has gotten stronger as well as near the north shore of LI

How much did you have SG? Damn for a few miles-- 10 inches here, 14 inches there. Then again, its better than being in the parts of Queens that saw 6 inches lol.

Indeed. And reporters in Prospect Park said they only found 5-6 inches of snow there.

Meanwhile-- 24.5" in Danbury and almost 20" even on the SW CT coast!

Just got up, total white it in Trumbull (15 or so miles south of Danbury). Tons of snow, at least a foot and a half here.

18.0 inches as of 7:00 A.M.

had to take a LOT of measurements over a large area...hard to tell with the previous snowpack, but I nailed it down.

also coordinates with the local Danbury spotter reports that generally average a bit higher than actual. (17.9 at 555am)

Archived