• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

I dont think those people will risk their lives just for one single school day (nor should they.) We didnt have any snow days when I was in HS (from lack of snow lol), but Im telling you right now.....whether the school was closed or not, there is NOWAY I would go to school in this kind of weather (or work for that matter.) I hope their attendance is like 10% lol.

i bet Bloomberg will be questioned with regard to the schools in NYC being open... as for the plowing, i do think they did a better job (based on the news haha)...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think those people will risk their lives just for one single school day (nor should they.) We didnt have any snow days when I was in HS (from lack of snow lol), but Im telling you right now.....whether the school was closed or not, there is NOWAY I would go to school in this kind of weather (or work for that matter.) I hope their attendance is like 10% lol.

I agree. I sense another outrage heading towards the mayor on a different regard for this storm. His decision does not affect me because I'm still on my in-between semester break from college. :)

This is not as dumb as them opening for 2/11/94 but its close, just because so many areas where teachers and staff would commute from received over a foot

Wow, that one was like 13" for the city plus there was 8" snowcover left over from the storm a few days prior to that. I remember the LIRR shut down during that event.

I guess theyre still trying to make up for March 2001.

I agree. I sense another outrage heading towards the mayor on a different regard for this storm. His decision does not affect me because I'm still on my in-between semester break from college. :)

Yeah, college breaks are much more awesome-- in HS we used to have finals right up until the last week of June! In college they happen in late May. Winter break for college lasts until the last few days of January!

btw, just a side note. I give 100% props to OKX for forecasting the last blzzard in ample time and the NYC crew including blumeberg, not acting on it as they should have. I dont buy it that they didnt know. It's like when the federal govt didnt know the KLIX (New Orleans NWS) didnt forecast Katrina in time before the event. Kudos to OKX for being on time and boo hoo for the NYC emergency mgmnt team. Just sayin.

btw, just a side note. I give 100% props to OKX for forecasting the last blzzard in ample time and the NYC crew including blumeberg, not acting on it as they should have. I dont buy it that they didnt know. It's like when the federal govt didnt know the KLIX (New Orleans NWS) didnt forecast Katrina in time before the event. Kudos to OKX for being on time and boo hoo for the NYC emergency mgmnt team. Just sayin.

and Bloomberg flew down to Bermuda after he saw the forecasts ;)

as Bill G said earlier, this may rival the prev short fused blizzrd from 2005. That coastal storm was epic. I remember reading the AFD from BOX. They were amazed. It totally out performed the models, and most impressive storms often due!

I believe thats the event that had the insane gradient across NYC wasnt it?

This is reminding me exactly of 2/2/96....7-10 inches overnight, started 8-9pm and was completely done with bright sunshine at 730am

Was that the one which hit the MA with like 18 inches of snow? I dont remember that much as well as the one which came after that which dumped a foot here.

Was that the one which hit the MA with like 18 inches of snow? I dont remember that much as well as the one which came after that which dumped a foot here.

Yeah, it pounded DE and S NJ and also SNE but didnt hit the metro hard....I think Allentown saw zero with W NJ not seeing much more, it was a Friday night event which was more or less a wave running along an offshore front.

If the PNS latest reports are correct, got a 3.5 inch gradient across the Bronx... And at least one part of the NYC over a foot... we'll see if other reports confirm it...

I should add the gradient goes in the way the reports on this board would have expected... higher near the Westchester border and lower near KLGA.

Archived