Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18.0 inches as of 7:00 A.M.

had to take a LOT of measurements over a large area...hard to tell with the previous snowpack, but I nailed it down.

also coordinates with the local Danbury spotter reports that generally average a bit higher than actual. (17.9 at 555am)

About same in Trumbull. Out the window with PJs on though (the easy way)

<br />LGA has been getting screwed or so it seems alot the last 2 years or so, they legitimately did in the 12/20/09 event as did many parts of north Queens but I'm not buying it lately...Rego Park doesnt report often but that report seems very good whenever it does appear in there and they have 8.9....if you fly direct to LGA from there its 3 miles at most.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yep.9 inches here.I dont know why people are complaining.This was a Fantastic storm,especially in a Strong NINA.It was not the blizzard,but how many storms are?

If this was between 1983-1993,everyone here would be celebrating like its VJ day.But now expectations have changed.This was a beautiful storm.No complaints.

Going to sleep. No more energy left. Just posted a brief brief brief morning update. Still snowing here. Will end throughout the morning. Will measure when I wake up in a little while.

Last check had about a foot of snow but that was a couple of hours ago.

Time to wait for the next one!! happy.png

The low appears to be going between Block Island and Martha's Vineyard. Lowest pressure at 12z is at Block Island - 29.10" (985 mb). Winds are NE at Block Island and SSW at Martha's Vineyard.

METAR KBID 121155Z AUTO 04017G29KT 7SM BKN006 OVC012 03/02 A2911 RMK AO1

P0002 60061 70074 10030 20010 57119

METAR KMVY 121153Z 20024G32KT 7SM -RA BKN010 OVC014 06/05 A2922 RMK AO2 PK WND 09034/1057 WSHFT 1136 CIG 006V013 SLP895 P0001 60065 70072 T00610050 10061 20017 58095

http://climate.cod.edu/data/sfc/states/ma.sfc.gif

http://climate.cod.edu/data/sfc/states/ny.sfc.gif

Where did the low finally cross the coast, did it slow down or is it still moving quickly NE?

I think somewhere in the triangle between Port Jefferson, Mattituck and Riverhead will be the jackpot on LI.

I took a nap for about 90 minutes..I have not been outside...but from looking...the snow is now deeper than it has ever been here in the 16 years I've lived here...continues to snow hard.

18.0 inches as of 7:00 A.M.

had to take a LOT of measurements over a large area...hard to tell with the previous snowpack, but I nailed it down.

also coordinates with the local Danbury spotter reports that generally average a bit higher than actual. (17.9 at 555am)

seems about right.. as i have about 14-15 last measurement not much accum last hour.. reports of 20-24" 5 miles west of me lol so close

This may very well be the deepest snowfall I have ever experienced once all is said and done.....

I heard your forecast has been upped to 30"! This might not be a good storm to bring up, but this is like a mini March 1888 kind of storm up there.

About 12-13" in Dix Hills, NY.. Snow beginning to come to an end.. Overall, I think the models outlined the heavier bands quite well.. CT and Eastern LI are getting crushed.. NYC had a very good snowstorm.. 9" isn't anything to sneeze about and well, this is what was predicted..

Wish there was some blocking to our north.. This would have resulted in a crushing snowstorm for all of us..

At the end of the day, it appears that we have received more snow here than the blizzard on the 26th.. This is also fluffier snow.. and just looks much prettier.. The snow we got here in the blizzard was like sand..

Jeff

Archived