• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

You folks are lucky with this storm. This is the excitement I get to look forward to in Minnesota.

http://www.twisterda...e&archive=false

I'm so pumped for the arctic outbreak, I happen to think some of the real brutal stuff is coming....ECM has 850s near -40C in Central Ontario at Day 10, and the clipper Saturday should bring some more -20C into the picture.

I wouldn't be surprised to see low teens in the inner suburbs of NYC Saturday/Sunday night with the potential for below zero readings later in the week. Going to be so refreshing and beautiful with the fresh, white snowpack.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the PNS latest reports are correct, got a 3.5 inch gradient across the Bronx... And at least one part of the NYC over a foot... we'll see if other reports confirm it...

I should add the gradient goes in the way the reports on this board would have expected... higher near the Westchester border and lower near KLGA.

LGA has been getting screwed or so it seems alot the last 2 years or so, they legitimately did in the 12/20/09 event as did many parts of north Queens but I'm not buying it lately...Rego Park doesnt report often but that report seems very good whenever it does appear in there and they have 8.9....if you fly direct to LGA from there its 3 miles at most.

9 inches at CPK and 6 at JFK and LGA? CPK looks suspect....

Did you measure? According to what some were saying, there was a local area of subsidence over Queens, with totals much higher to the west and to the east. We have 9-10 inches here (closer to 10 now) here in SW Nassau. That megaband stalled here for a few hours before moving east.

Its surprising that despite the fact this came as far west as the NAM had that most areas still saw about what was forecast and not more...it simply did not close off in time and developed too far north.

Indeed it did't, and at least for my location, the NWS nailed it. They had me in line for 3-7 inches and I ended up with 4.5 for the event. Of course, as with any other weather nut, I would have liked more, but can't complain about the event. Had sn/sn+ for a couple hours before it tapered off shortly after midninght, and ended up with .64"/hr average snowfall rate for the storm.

Looks like 16" on the snow stake (yes I did place one for this storm :weenie: ...easier for quick estimates between measurements). We had 4" before...so roughly a foot of new snow is on the ground. Back edge of the good band is fairly close but seems to have slowed to a crawl. We had about 3" between 4:30 and 5:30AM. If there was thunder, I slept through it (probably shouldn't have been wearing ear plugs).

Indeed it did't, and at least for my location, the NWS nailed it. They had me in line for 3-7 inches and I ended up with 4.5 for the event. Of course, as with any other weather nut, I would have liked more, but can't complain about the event. Had sn/sn+ for a couple hours before it tapered off shortly after midninght, and ended up with .64"/hr average snowfall rate for the storm.

This was a classic good NYC/Great SNE storm, most Miller Bs are great for both, this one the primary simply held on long enough that it wasn't great for both, at least on a large scale...its funny how I'm saying 10 inches sucks but the way these storms have been the last 5 years it does.

LGA has been getting screwed or so it seems alot the last 2 years or so, they legitimately did in the 12/20/09 event as did many parts of north Queens but I'm not buying it lately...Rego Park doesnt report often but that report seems very good whenever it does appear in there and they have 8.9....if you fly direct to LGA from there its 3 miles at most.

SG, what prevented this storm from closing off in time for us to get widespread 12 inch plus? Lack of neg nao and rapid storm movement?

This was a classic good NYC/Great SNE storm, most Miller Bs are great for both, this one the primary simply held on long enough that it wasn't great for both, at least on a large scale...its funny how I'm saying 10 inches sucks but the way these storms have been the last 5 years it does.

Some are...usually though (at least from what Ive experienced) Miller A's are better for NYC and Western Long Island.... and Miller B's are better once you get further out on the Island, their climo is similar to SNE.

SG, what prevented this storm from closing off in time for us to get widespread 12 inch plus? Lack of neg nao and rapid storm movement?

It developed well too far north and too slowly during its early stages, its just now getting to that level we needed it at when it was off ACY to get what SNE is going to get.

Did you measure? According to what some were saying, there was a local area of subsidence over Queens, with totals much higher to the west and to the east. We have 9-10 inches here (closer to 10 now) here in SW Nassau. That megaband stalled here for a few hours before moving east.

Yes only 6 inches here, disapointed to say the least.

It was much better for me in the northern suburbs of NYC than the 12/26 blizzard....going to make a final measurement in a few minutes but would estimate about 15" has fallen here.

If I had to rank the major storms of 09-10 and 10-11 for my house in Dobbs Ferry, I'd do:

1) 2/25 Snowicane, 26"

2) 1/12 Miller B, 15"

3) 12/26 Boxing Day Blizzard, 13"

4) 2/10 Miller B, 12.5"

5) 12/19 Miller A, 8"

Not sure what would have happened if the primary would have died out sooner since I'm a real novice, but I "suspect" that we may have ended up with slightly less as some of our initial heavier snow was from that dying primary.

It was much better for me in the northern suburbs of NYC than the 12/26 blizzard....going to make a final measurement in a few minutes but would estimate about 15" has fallen here.

If I had to rank the major storms of 09-10 and 10-11 for my house in Dobbs Ferry, I'd do:

1) 2/25 Snowicane, 26"

2) 1/12 Miller B, 15"

3) 12/26 Boxing Day Blizzard, 13"

4) 2/10 Miller B, 12.5"

5) 12/19 Miller A, 8"

lol I'd rank them 12/26,2/25,2/10,12/19,1/12

Im ranking this one fifth for here. I loathe short duration events with a passion, especially the ones which escape like a thief in the night ;)

Guest Patrick

10.1 inches here in Clifton NJ.... though I will admit I did sleep from about 1am to 4am and may have missed a weenie snowboard clearing.

Overall, impressive for such a quick mover. Watching the radar, I could not believe my eyes early this morning when the mini-bands began building toward NENJ once again...and I fully expected a large band to "pop," but it never really seemed to have any staying power.

Anyway, grateful for another storm that dropped more than we get all winter in these darn "La Nina" years =)

Looks like 16" on the snow stake (yes I did place one for this storm :weenie: ...easier for quick estimates between measurements). We had 4" before...so roughly a foot of new snow is on the ground. Back edge of the good band is fairly close but seems to have slowed to a crawl. We had about 3" between 4:30 and 5:30AM. If there was thunder, I slept through it (probably shouldn't have been wearing ear plugs).

...as of 615am..temp up 2 deg. since 430am..now @30.2

moderate snow..a gusty N wind..i put a snow stick out also..

haven't been outside yet..but looks

like i'm approacing 10 inches..we got dry slotted and sleeted on

for about 2 hours..

here in eastport...

SW CT-- Fairfield County, which is one of the two snowholes of SNE (the other one being SE CT -- New London County) is going to jackpot it looks like with over 20 inches of snow. I saw a report of 19 inches with that deform band still over the area. SE CT is still holding its snowhole status with New London and Groton reporting rain.

Interior Fairfield like up towards Danbury and Ridgefield actually have a snow climo similar to Hartford and better than most coastal areas of mass. Coastal Fairfield is another story.

SW CT-- Fairfield County, which is one of the two snowholes of SNE (the other one being SE CT -- New London County) is going to jackpot it looks like with over 20 inches of snow. I saw a report of 19 inches with that deform band still over the area. SE CT is still holding its snowhole status with New London and Groton reporting rain.

Interior Fairfield like up towards Danbury and Ridgefield actually have a snow climo similar to Hartford and better than most coastal areas of mass. Coastal Fairfield is another story.

Yeah, but in this case, I think the coastal parts of Fairfield did amazingly well too-- I saw reports of 16 inches with heavy snow still falling. Didnt they do well with the norlun too?

This band has been epic, hard to believe, just crushed here in Fairfield, band has sat for hours now 1-3" an hour rates.

sw ct at least up here is shut down

With the "old" snow cover (by "old" I mean from this past weekend lol) plus the new, youre going to have over 30" on the ground by the time this ends!

They did do well with it, and are off to a great start his year. Danbury had near 120" in 95-96 and have to be pushing what, 30-40" after this storm for the season?

Yeah, but in this case, I think the coastal parts of Fairfield did amazingly well too-- I saw reports of 16 inches with heavy snow still falling. Didnt they do well with the norlun too?

Archived