joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Storm Dicussion - January 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I slept 5 minutes. Hopefully I survive the workday and live to actually see the storm.

One time about 3 years ago I had spent literally 4-5 days sleeping for like 2 hours a night looking at the models for a severe wx event and I went to sleep the night before around 4 AM and wanted to get up at 6-7 AM b/c there was a round of storms coming through in the morning, I slept through the storms and missed it, one of the storms ended up producing half dollar-sized hail in East Hartford.

Gives me pretty close to 1''...not bad.

Probably going to end up trimming back some from my previous map now that things are becoming more fine tuned and there seems to be a general idea of where the heaviest QPF is going to occur and where the better banding may potentially occur. Instead of having 10-20'' for CT might just go to 8-16'' statewide with lollipops near 20'', especially towards NE CT. We'll see how 12z runs are QPF wise and if the NAM backs down any or if any other models beef up a bit.

GFS didn't follow mesoscale models in the 12/26 storm...it was furthest west and ended up being the most correct. It was actually the mesoscale models which were further east in that storm.

thanks... i have archived only 12/24 0Z GFS which was far east (and ultimately less accurate than) 12/24 18Z - 12/25 18Z ETA suites

Your 48hr total RGEM QPF.

PR_000-048_0000.gif

26mm = inch? I always screw that one up.

Looks like some folks are going to get some snow from this. Are those SE totals in the BOX map due to mixing? In that case, we (speaking as a region) better hope the jackpot doesn't shift any further lest we have some really disgruntled folks. As it stands now, all of us can enjoy.

Speaking as a weenie, though, let's give this jackpot a nudge northwest. :arrowhead:

11.5/7

LOL..good point. I honestly think the NAM totals may not be that far from reality. I haven't gotten back far enough into the thread. How much qpf does Euro have? Did you throw out any forecast #'s?

Well I issued my forecast to clients awhile ago. I do think some lollis to 20" are possible. I'll throw out some numbers later.

Euro qpf wasn't NAM-esque with 1.5-2.0+ amounts....more like 1.00-1.25 with a few spots maybe just over 1.25. 06z NAM is likely a bit overdone, but its original idea yesterday of something near or inside of ACK seems to have been correct.

26mm = inch? I always screw that one up.

Looks like some folks are going to get some snow from this. Are those SE totals in the BOX map due to mixing? In that case, we (speaking as a region) better hope the jackpot doesn't shift any further lest we have some really disgruntled folks. As it stands now, all of us can enjoy.

Speaking as a weenie, though, let's give this jackpot a nudge northwest. :arrowhead:

11.5/7

Close .. 25.4mm = 1 inch.

Archived