• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Storm Dicussion - January 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

Are there any general rules about which mesoscale models are most accurate in < 24 hr or < 48 hr timeframes?

ETA

EURO

MM5

RGEM

SREF

Or is it just too variable in different setups from storm to storm...?

Right now it seems ETA is farther west with heaviest qpf, and there's more of a consensus with EURO/RGEM/SREFs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I issued my forecast to clients awhile ago. I do think some lollis to 20" are possible. I'll throw out some numbers later.

Euro qpf wasn't NAM-esque with 1.5-2.0+ amounts....more like 1.00-1.25 with a few spots maybe just over 1.25. 06z NAM is likely a bit overdone, but its original idea yesterday of something near or inside of ACK seems to have been correct.

Is it safe to say you think 12-18 would be a safe forecast with lolli's to 20?

Are there any general rules about which mesoscale models are most accurate in < 24 hr or < 48 hr timeframes?

ETA

EURO

MM5

RGEM

SREF

Or is it just too variable in different setups from storm to storm...?

Right now it seems ETA is farther west with heaviest qpf, and there's more of a consensus with EURO/RGEM/SREFs

Euro is not a meso model. Not sure about RGEM but presumably it is?

This one is your boys i can sit back relax and watch this one know hospitals and morons that drive down the street with plows up in the air.sanitation is showing their presence this time heads are rolling from the last one they were illegally dumping snow in a cemetary knocked down a wall and 150 year old tompstones were destroyed way to go .The trend looks like a sne typical storm i wouldn't mind being short changed my property was destroyed the blacktop took a beating when i needed a bulldozer to clean out my business last time good luck see ya .

Who cares? It's garbage. I sincerely hope there isn't anyone met or otherwise that is factoring any aspect of the GFS into their forecast

They typically only factor in the models that give their houses the most snow. It's in the texts...all of them on operational forecasting.

Who cares? It's garbage. I sincerely hope there isn't anyone met or otherwise that is factoring any aspect of the GFS into their forecast

LOL I just ignored it in my forecast. Went with a SREF/EURO/RGEM mix. GFS underwhelms and NAM overwhelms.

I figured with qpf solidly around 1-1.25 and snow ratios of 15:1 (or better?) I went 12-24 for CT.

Yup, all my friends, family and coworkers will think I am a complete idiot if the GFS verifies :arrowhead:

At least I will stop getting facebook messages asking me if there is school, can I go to the bar at 7pm, should I reschedule this, etc.

Well it might not mean much but it would be nice at least to see it trend towards the other models.

Pretty much what the GFS has been showing for a few days now, no?

Yeah GFS has been rather consistent...just like other models have been rather consistent

If NYC/BOS get a foot or so it has to qualify. Huge population. And Philly will probably get 6 anyway.

We were talking about that earlier this morning, and if both NYC and BOS get double digits it likely qualifies as a KU event. Theyre going with 8-14 for NYC with more on Long Island and Boston so it likely should.

Have you finally learned your qpf lesson ? About not worrying about what modelled qpf shows?

I must have made an impression on the board early in the season that I'm carrying around like old luggage. I haven't been lamenting any qpf portrayals on this system, I don't think. Nor in the last one for that matter.

That beign said, I wouldn't mind another nudge NW. :)

Congrats to Mt. Tollland btw.

Archived