joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Storm Dicussion - January 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there would be all sorts of weird stuff if a NAM type solution verifies...probably a lot of thundersnow...good chance at gravity wave....who else knows. Maybe even a tropofold.

What's a tropofold Will? I've never heard of that before. I was teasing Wiz with the possibility of a snownado with the last storm lol.

What's a tropofold Will? I've never heard of that before. I was teasing Wiz with the possibility of a snownado with the last storm lol.

Its when the tropopause (area between troposphere and stratosphere) gets warped to a much lower height than usual...it often will result in huge winds being mixed down to the sfc from thousands of feet up if you get it in a powerful storm like this. (its how SE MA saw 100mph winds on 12/9/05)

Its when the tropopause (area between troposphere and stratosphere) gets warped to a much lower height than usual...it often will result in huge winds being mixed down to the sfc from thousands of feet up if you get it in a powerful storm like this. (its how SE MA saw 100mph winds on 12/9/05)

That's sick!

Wow, thats why thunderstorms have their anvil shape at the top isnt it? And isnt that where the jet stream is? All sorts of weird things happen up there lol-- below it, its really cold, above it, it actually starts to get warmer I think. That would be amazing. I was on the board when the 12/9/05 storm that happened and although I didnt witness it myself, reading all the stuff that came out of E MA it was absolutely amazing-- maybe the most dynamic of any storm since Feb 78?!

Wow, thats why thunderstorms have their anvil shape at the top isnt it? And isnt that where the jet stream is? All sorts of weird things happen up there lol-- below it, its really cold, above it, it actually starts to get warmer I think. That would be amazing. I was on the board when the 12/9/05 storm that happened and although I didnt witness it myself, reading all the stuff that came out of E MA it was absolutely amazing-- maybe the most dynamic of any storm since Feb 78?!

Yup, that's exactly why, as the cloud tops build and it reaches the tropopause the cloud top spreads out and this is what the anvil is, the air above this is extremely stable, this is why when you see overshooting tops that is a sure sign of a storm that may become extremely severe, especially if this feature lasts for at least a good 10 minutes. This is a sign of a very strong and potent updraft.

Archived