gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Next weeks Storm Threat and DT's Jan 21-22 Facebook threat

Ji

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna be real weenie for a sec.....Also remember that they put an 18Z WX balloon launch to better initialize the 18z with Data... the GFS also tends warm us Too Fast with these events.

I dunno, I have a feeling something will come of this.

We will see frozen from this... the question will be how long for most of us

I'm gonna be real weenie for a sec.....Also remember that they put an 18Z WX balloon launch to better initialize the 18z with Data... the GFS also tends warm us Too Fast with these events.

Yes, its only 1 model, but I dunno, I have a feeling something will come of this.

well, if you are unable to post Monday, we'll know your forecast was a good one!

j/k

This is fun threat. It was mostly all rain when the models sniffed it out. Now everything has trended towards are real winter event. That plus multiple possible threats to track afterwards. I took a couple of days off from watching weather so I'm looking forward to a weenie week.

exactly I think the 1st name of this thread was something along the lines of "next weeks high QPF rain storm"

Snow to sleet to zr to rain are actually pretty fun. Let's you know exactly what is going on in the upper levels and when. Everyone will be focused on how long the snow hangs on until the sleet obs start and then when everything goes over to rain we stare at our thermo until it hits 32+ and then time for a nap.

At the surface, this 18Z run of the GFS is the coldest so far west of the city:

http://coolwx.com/cg...1518&field=prec

http://coolwx.com/cg...18&field=2meter

Verbatim, the run shows IAD staying at or below freezing until around noon. So, this run already identifies the ZR potential for IAD and westward-- it doesn't need to trend colder.

At the surface, this 18Z run of the GFS is the coldest so far west of the city:

http://coolwx.com/cg...1518&field=prec

http://coolwx.com/cg...18&field=2meter

Verbatim, the run shows IAD staying at or below freezing until afternoon. So, this run already identifies the ZR potential for IAD and westward-- it doesn't need to be colder.

Wow. I guess the possibilities have become serious for a high impact event. Do you think the model is too cold or is there even more more to go colder given the setup?

Wow. I guess the possibilities have become serious for a high impact event. Do you think the model it too cold or is there even more more to go colder given the setup?

I wouldn't say "serious" - this will most likely not be a huge icing event. I'd like to see more models come around to the same idea.

I wouldn't say "serious" - this will most likely not be a huge icing event. I'd like to see more models come around to the same idea.

I've noticed that since the '99 event, Ice storms have been hyped like gibberish around here. We had no lights for 9 days if I remember correctly, it was.....bad.

I was like 7yrs old then, so my memory could be botched.

Wow. I guess the possibilities have become serious for a high impact event. Do you think the model is too cold or is there even more more to go colder given the setup?

Is it possible? Sure. Probable? Never the most probable situation. I've posted multiple examples over the years-- models will not nail the exact hour of transition from freezing rain to rain. Sometimes they rush the process, sometimes they end up too cold. But, every single true ice storm that we've had from 1994 until now was an overperformer-- ZR held on longer than originally forecast. The most prominent busts were 1/27-28/94 (forecast was for the temperature to rise into the 50's! Instead, temps actually fell into the lower 20's at IAD), 2/8-9/94, 1/8-9/99, 1/14-15/99, 2/13-14/07 (for the eastern 'burbs), and 2/12-13/08 (WWA became Ice Storm Warning).

The GFS has held the cold air too long before and it has also not held it long enough before. It can bust on either side with these types of storms. I've seen the forecast for 33 and rain by 7am and it stays below freezing the entire day but I've also seen it go the other way and get nothing frozen at all. This looks deep enough to get some frozen but it's a forecast nightmare to predict when we go above 32.

I doubt this will be a high impact icing event. Every year the models point to an icing event and the crowds come out screaming that this will be the end of the world ice storm.

The GFS has held the cold air too long before and it has also not held it long enough before. It can bust on either side with these types of storms. I've seen the forecast for 33 and rain by 7am and it stays below freezing the entire day but I've also seen it go the other way and get nothing frozen at all. This looks deep enough to get some frozen but it's a forecast nightmare to predict when we go above 32.

I've always thought when it comes to cold air damming east of the mountains, the GFS tends to scour out the cold too fast. Maybe I'm wrong.(?)

I've always thought when it comes to cold air damming east of the mountains, the GFS tends to scour out the cold too fast. Maybe I'm wrong.(?)

Not always. Nothing is always 100% of the time. He said sometimes it goes either way.

Yes you are right - it "tends to" this doesn't mean it always happens this way. Plus as you get closer to the even the chance that it has the correct timing of scouring out gets better.

Not always. Nothing is always 100% of the time. He said sometimes it goes either way.

Yes you are right - it "tends to" this doesn't mean it always happens this way. Plus as you get closer to the even the chance that it has the correct timing of scouring out gets better.

For the most part, but the models can still underestimate the CAD even in close range. The short range models should give us a clue as well as we get to the 12z runs tomorrow

Archived