Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Next weeks Storm Threat and DT's Jan 21-22 Facebook threat

Ji

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i feel like i just got dunked on...pimp.gif

It may just depend on when the heaviest comes through. Though I seem to recall heavier rain can warm the surface in a situation like this regardless. I don't buy the GFS verbatim right now.

Is it possible? Sure. Probable? Never the most probable situation. I've posted multiple examples over the years-- models will not nail the exact hour of transition from freezing rain to rain. Sometimes they rush the process, sometimes they end up too cold. But, every single true ice storm that we've had from 1994 until now was an overperformer-- ZR held on longer than originally forecast. The most prominent busts were 1/27-28/94 (forecast was for the temperature to rise into the 50's! Instead, temps actually fell into the lower 20's at IAD), 2/8-9/94, 1/8-9/99, 1/14-15/99, 2/13-14/07 (for the eastern 'burbs), and 2/12-13/08 (WWA became Ice Storm Warning).

Did this data come from memory? If so, that is quite remarkable. I always have to go back and research this stuff because the only thing I'm really good at remembering is how much beer is in the fridge and sports scores.

High impact was poor choice of words on my part. I don't think this will be serious or historic ice storm. I was just thinking that the 18Z GFS paints a disruptive outcome vs our rain storm outlook just a few days ago.

Either way, I like ice storms (especially when there is front end snow/sleet). They make for some good photos and they make it an easy decision not to leave the house for any reason on a work day.

OK. Ravens have lost. So my happiness is now solely based on the NADS storm. How's it looking? :drunk:

the money players, houys and boldin can't catch a football. And hous had complained about not being used enough. Well I guess he ate his crow. Ravens aren't good enough to win the superbowl. Wil they ever be/?They choked at the worst possible time.

Archived