Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9 - Part III

Baroclinic Zone

It's about time for this one.

:deadhorse:

as a unbiased bystander.

it appears capecodweather was clearly on top with this one..... he said majority see 2-4 .....with some 3-5. cut him some slack and most saw 1.5-4 . aside from immediate (500 yds) coastline it would appear from what i read.

the thing that sticks in my head last nite was messenger saying this was an epic bust for the cape....and then hedging as the GOM band appeared to stick together a bit more ...and said that some spots that cooled would see D-2.. but i think ...f it turned out to be nothing ....then he would have claimed victory (as he said this was the biggest bust) so hedging a bit.

i have no allegiance and call em like i see him. also messenger saying one is the best forecaster after the event was a low blow. why? . his blog showed his thoughts throughout the event . but i mean most mets were baffled by the precip in the GOM last nite. i remember Coastal WX and ryan saying WTF About how the precip was developing in the gom.....and that is what made the euro more or less score.

with that being said....this is a weather board we all love the damn weather and emotions are what makes us have this passion. i think both posters are some of the best on the board. Now they can get over it with a internet handshake and decide wether they suprise the interior folk and stay mostly snow for the next event.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up with just under 3 inches here last night so it looks like the 1-3 calls worked out fine for here. The truth is if it was not for that monster band that crashed ashore around 3 in the morning it would have been a fail around here. I will say that was an impressive band it cranked good for a while here last night.

LOL..7 inches in Staffordville...come on

...TOLLAND COUNTY...

STAFFORDVILLE 7.0 551 AM 1/09 CO-OP OBSERVER

STORRS 6.5 810 AM 1/09 TRAINED SPOTTER

STAFFORD SPRINGS 4.1 744 AM 1/09 TRAINED SPOTTER

TOLLAND 4.0 621 AM 1/09 TRAINED SPOTTER

Sounds high but there was a nasty band that sat over Union and Ashford. I wonder if it was just west enough to get Staffordville in on the fun.

i could tell you very confidently that union ...E. staffordville and the very eastern extreme of tolland sat in a much heavier part of the band from 1030 to around 12 lasat nite....prob 2 inches more than west of that line.

you still got 4 kev...but just E of 84 got hit harder for a period last nite. i posted about it last nite when you had visions of :weenie: :weenie: :weenie: dancing thru your head.

so i got screwed in both events. bout 1.25 total.

i could tell you very confidently that union ...E. staffordville and the very eastern extreme of tolland sat in a much heavier part of the band from 1030 to around 12 lasat nite....prob 2 inches more than west of that line.

you still got 4 kev...but just E of 84 got hit harder for a period last nite. i posted about it last nite.

Yeah they were getting +SN for a while and ares just west were not. Given that Storrs picked up 6.5 it's much more believable.

Sounds high but there was a nasty band that sat over Union and Ashford. I wonder if it was just west enough to get Staffordville in on the fun.

But Stafford had 4.1 and so did Ashford

I have noticed the last 2 yrs that Staffordville amounts tend to come several inches higher than all surrounding towns..and it's actually a lower part of town where that observer is

But Stafford had 4.1 and so did Ashford

I have noticed the last 2 yrs that Staffordville amounts tend to come several inches higher than all surrounding towns..and it's actually a lower part of town where that observer is

blizz all you gotta do is look at the radar last nite between 1015 and 12....and you will see that regardless of slant ruler accusations....the band was heavier (it was a skinny 3 mile s+) band and it was over Extreme E tolland and extreme W. ashford and if you draw a line due north for about 4 miles that is where that band sat)

so from that perspective it seems the other obs. fit as well.

the band was approx over 320/74 in tolland.

blizz all you gotta do is look at the radar last nite between 1015 and 12....and you will see that regardless of slant ruler accusations....the band was heavier (it was a skinny 3 mile s+) band and it was over Extreme E tolland and extreme W. ashford and if you draw a line due north for about 4 miles that is where that band sat)

Maybe..but Staffordville is west of Stafford. I don't buy it..but it is what it is

Maybe..but Staffordville is west of Stafford. I don't buy it..but it is what it is

dude ....its clearly. there is not much to buy......

look on the ct map strafford ville sits 2 mile ENE than stafford...the map is right in front of my face. i don't wanna get to picky but i stayed up and watch it. it is pretty clear.

perhaps stafford ville has come in high before but it fits last nite.

big snow coming wednesday

So here's the rundown from just north of the canal on Rte 3 to almost PTown on Cape Cod.

The photos work west to east on Rte 6 and starting on Rte 3. The first is a shot of Rte 3 exit 2. Dusting to an inch. The bridge is the same and it carries that way to exit 3 where it's a solid inch to 1.5. That stays the same all the way to Exit 6 where it spikes but even there it's only an inch to maybe 2" tops. I measured all over there, from Cape Cod Community College to cars overnight parked etc etc...It was more like 1.5 to 1.8"...but again 1 to 2 in general. Less than 1 mile east of Exit 6 it jumps VERY quickly. By exit 8 and just east there is 6-7. I hit the turn offs in a couple of spots up higher on route 6 and measured 7". The west edge is extremely sharp. It then keeps going in the general 3-5" until about exit 11 where it drops like a rock to lower totals but higher than west of Exit 6. The courthouse in orleans has a solid 1.5". The entrance to Nauset Beach a solid 1 to 1.5". Blackbeards about 1.5", by the Wellfleet drive in there is maybe close to 2" but that drops quickly by marconi to maybe an inch. On the way back it's already all melting exit 6 west in the sunny spots. It'll be gone soon in non shade areas as very little fell.

The photo with the picnic tables is the Orelans Court House right near the rotary. The west bound shots were taken later, it's mostly melted west of exit 5 already anywhere that isn't in the shade as you can see.

No it's not... it's east... toward union.

he tried to pull a fast one on me....seeing i'm not from the county? what a nice weekend ct had thou....i would think the area SE of him Storrs down thru norwich really was a secondary (to SW ct) area of 'total weekend high accums" probably 15 combined in norwich and about a foot in storrs.

Lol. Ok

BTW when you're calling out my character like you've done several times consider that YOU were the one this morning that had go back like we were in high school and pull up one random thought form last night and say fail. But you don't like it when you said "messenger must have gotten 2-4 blah blah in that band." and I came back and told you not the case. It's also interesting that you had that post bookmarked but missed the specific questions about accumulations. I made my statements before the precip ever came back, you made yours the morning after it fell. Not here, not anywhere near here along Rte 6 to exit 6 did 4" fall.. That's the difference, you sit there and wait to slam me with a thought out loud out of a lot of comments. I'd have let your little error go but you're too busy trying to make a point and keep score. You had to throw in the dig about us jumping ship too "ad nauseum" once again doing what you do after the fact. Declarative statements after an event has happened while taking shots at those that made them pre and during.

Well Phil I just drove most of the Cape along Rte 6 and I can tell you along that entire stretch it was mostly a dusting to 2"...it's a 16 mile wide band between exits 6/7 and 11 that got it pretty good. You can pull out a PNS or whatever else. I'm sure that extended south and there were probably other areas well under 6 that did well.

And as far as taking your shot about my character in taking a ruler with me....another nice one. I had to take a ride anyway, I figured I'd put the photos up for everyone to see that got nothing and for NOAA and everyone else that uses these reports as we've found over the years. I didn't pick and choose where to take photos, I took them along the entire route. People do it all the time around here and you don't call them out on it.

My only criticism of you is you say a lot well before and after an event. That's not a personal swipe just an observation. I don't judge you as a person because of it but you've had no problems taking your shots at me.

I think everyone busted on this storm. I thought 1-3/2-4 and 3-6 would fall and did okay overall south of Boston to the Cape. I should hvae stayed with the 1-3/2-4 on the cape but it would have busted too high if I said 2-4 over most of the area OTC.

Kev busted, others busted, who cares. But enough with the personal stuff, if you've got something that's bothering you let's handle it/work it out like men at the GTG and end the passive aggressive BS here.

cool pics ....def picked up by exit 6...where trees were caked.

even thou some highway median shots have more salt tread areas....and sometime a little lighter on accums

exit 3 looked like the snowhole ......and a tad more at exit 4.

I've got more working on them now. There's very little west of Exit 6. I measured all over...I took photos of the overnight car parking at Exit 6 and I measured on their cars. It was barely 1 or 1.5" there. That carries back to Exit 4, drops right off from there to the Canal. Not 5000 feet east of exit 6 it jumps right to a few inches, then 4 to 4.5 inches down to about exit 8 where there is a narrow jackpot of up to 7"...it tapers some at exit 9 and I measured only 3-3.5" at exit 10 and 11 and the it drops to 1-2" the rest of the eastern and lower cape towards Wellfleet.

I took most of the measurements on side streets just off the highway. Down between exit 7 and 11 most are still unplowed.

The 1-2" I noted from Orleans up through Wellfleet...Phil indicates his folks measured about the same in Eastham. That's all there is, but it's a heavier snow. The dividing line between the wet snow and fluffy snow is where the heavy band set up. I would not be surprised if there's 8" in there somewhere.

I don't even know what the argument is about here but just looking from the outside it seems like most of the Cape got 1-3" with a spot area of 3-5" in Yarmouth/Dennis/Harwich.

Scott said early the warning would bust and that the advisory would bust too and that seems to have happened in most areas. Phil jackpotted with the locally higher totals.

Archived