Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9 - Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i looped back on the radar from overnight. pretty cool. messenger should have 2-4" unless the power plant is doing funny things to his yard.

models really were not as bad as perceived...in the end the two/three day totals are fairly good when compared to what the average of guidance was showing.

the euro really nailed it. We fell just 90% short of predicted qpf but it did have the right idea on hot spots.

less than an inch around here and I was right under the death bands. Grass is barely covered. Just drove ten miles getting a good coffee, no more than 1/2 to 1.5 in south plymouth Bourne and sagamore as well as east wareham.

Tough to measure with the wind but no more than .8"

true story. love these kind of days...especially when it's not followed by torch and is followed by more snow on the horizon and an overall active winter pattern...and not march.

I agree. My mood is noticeably better with snow on the ground..lol. It's January and the absolute worst thing possible is to have it bare ground and wasted. I appreciate the snow especially in the city, as it makes everything look great.

the euro really nailed it. We fell just 90% short of predicted qpf but it did have the right idea on hot spots.

less than an inch around here and I was right under the death bands. Grass is barely covered. Just drove ten miles getting a good coffee, no more than 1/2 to 1.5 in south plymouth Bourne and sagamore as well as east wareham.

yikes so you really did end up with good snow just to your east and just to your west. like a mother nature messenger screwjob.

That seems impossible.

yikes so you really did end up with good snow just to your east and just to your west. like a mother nature messenger screwjob.

If you count 1 or 1.5" as good snow sure. I'm heading to exit 10 right now on the Cape, will stop along the way to measure your death band of snow.

That seems impossible.

Bark was worse than the bite. Asie of Phil I don't know a single person I've talked to this morning with more than an inch or two but like I said I've got a measuring stick and camera I'm curious and I have to go out that way anyway.

just talked to my folks in eastham - less out there. they were guessing 1-2" but very wet

Yep, mainly 1-2".

Phil it's great that you make bold sweeping statements after the fact all the time about how we should do things while rarely ever saying much of what you actually expect. I could read your statements as a shot at thte forecasters at Taunton because didn't they downplay it too? Makes it easy to be never wrong when you're afraid to say anything or answer questoins leading up to the event but in the end you were still wrong here with the 2-4" statement from reading a radar from an event that already had happened. So before you pat yourself on the back a little too much for "knowing all along" how to play it, you got it wrong here even in hindsight.

Off to the Cape, will post photos from the trip.

25F

Just about 5.5 inches of new snow on the ground.

(posting totals here beacause I don't really see an obs thread for this)

As much bitching, moaning, and noose tightening I was doing Friday, and Saturday over my massive 1", the 6.5" total for the 3 day period seems to be right in line with at least one of the forecast maps from Friday (ending this morning).

Nice to see a good 6" on the ground that wasn't blowing all over the place.

If you count 1 or 1.5" as good snow sure. I'm heading to exit 10 right now on the Cape, will stop along the way to measure your death band of snow.

Bark was worse than the bite. Asie of Phil I don't know a single person I've talked to this morning with more than an inch or two but like I said I've got a measuring stick and camera I'm curious and I have to go out that way anyway.

Yep, mainly 1-2".

Phil it's great that you make bold sweeping statements after the fact all the time about how we should do things while rarely ever saying much of what you actually expect. I could read your statements as a shot at thte forecasters at Taunton because didn't they downplay it too? Makes it easy to be never wrong when you're afraid to say anything or answer questoins leading up to the event but in the end you were still wrong here with the 2-4" statement from reading a radar from an event that already had happened. So before you pat yourself on the back a little too much for "knowing all along" how to play it, you got it wrong here even in hindsight.

Off to the Cape, will post photos from the trip.

man you got screwed. i just measured 4 times. lol. 4.5"

man you got screwed. i just measured 4 times. lol. 4.5"

I think you're a very smart guy who will be a very good degree'd met soon. I respect that fact that you are going to be a red tagger before long and respect the knowledge you have already.

That said I think your style at times is as deplorable as mine. As Will has said of me before, I tended to speak in definitives too much before an event happened and I understood what he was saying and try to watch more of what I say now. At the same time you have a tendency to act like you knew what was going to happen after it happens but without ever really saying what it was you thought was going to happen. IE you often take no position but try to swing it around that you did after the fact telling us what we should have done.

If you are that confident than say it, educate everyone in the process etc.

I'll give NOAA an exact slice of what fell from Exit 5 on Rte 3 to Exit 12 on Rte 6 by 11am...with pictures and measurements.

failure

3 -SNBR 30 28 3214G25 G 26 000

091144 BKN005 OVC013 2 -SNBR 30 28 3214G25 G 26 000

091056 OVC007 0.5 SNFZFG 31 30 3216G25 G 28 950 000

091020 BKN007 OVC013 0.75 -SNBR 30 28 3319G28 G 28 000

090956 OVC007 1 -SNBR 31 30 3216G25 G 29 932 000

090953 BKN007 OVC010 1 -SNBR 30 30 3214G27 G 29 000

090943 SCT002 OVC007 0.75 -SNBR 30 30 3218G25 G 29 000

090928 BKN002 OVC007 0.5 SNFZFG 30 30 3216G27 G 29 000

090903 VV002 0.25 FZFG 30 30 3317G29 G 29 000

090856 BKN003 OVC008 0.5 SNFG 32 30 3319G27 G 34 922 000 000

090844 BKN005 OVC012 0.5 SNFG

I think you're a very smart guy who will be a very good degree'd met soon. I respect that fact that you are going to be a red tagger before long and respect the knowledge you have already.

That said I think your style at times is as deplorable as mine. As Will has said of me before, I tended to speak in definitives too much before an event happened and I understood what he was saying and try to watch more of what I say now. At the same time you have a tendency to act like you knew what was going to happen after it happens but without ever really saying what it was you thought was going to happen. IE you often take no position but try to swing it around that you did after the fact telling us what we should have done.

If you are that confident than say it, educate everyone in the process etc.

I'll give NOAA an exact slice of what fell from Exit 5 on Rte 3 to Exit 12 on Rte 6 by 11am...with pictures and measurements.

:facepalm:

May be Phil while I was calling for a dusting to two.

I'd love to contest what you wrote but you only forecast after the event is over - and still got that wrong :)

lmao...here ya go:

Thursday's Forecast: We are looking at a very challenging snowfall forecast for all of Southern New England, including us here on Cape Cod. As mentioned yesterday, a complex series of storm centers are going to evolve over New England over the next 24 hours, producing areas of snow from the Mid-Atlantic all the way to Maine.

However, pinpointing exactly where the best snows will set up shop remains a big question mark as an unusual number of factors will be involved, including localized wind patterns, ocean enhancement, upper level jet stream support, and small scale temperature gradients, just to name a few. In those locations where all of those factors come together right, a substantial snow fall (greater than 6") is a good bet.

Outside of those locales, a more general 1 to 4" snowfall is expected. This type of set-up is notorious for surprises - and nearly impossible to predict features.

All of that said, as of this time, the current thinking for us here on the Cape is for 2 to 4" of snow between Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon.

Friday AM Update: Not much has changed in the overall evolution of this storm center outside of timing.

Things have slowed down a bit and it looks like snow will fall in two main "rounds" across New England. One today and tonight, and a second later Saturday and into Saturday night. The first round of steady snow is expected to remain off-Cape - focused mostly in Western New England. We may see an occassional snow flurry or two during the day today as a moist onshore flow develops but outside of that, a mainly quiet day. Tonight, light snows will try and spread into the region, perhaps giving us a dusting of snow.

For us, the bigger "show" is likely from round two, as a second band of snow develops and focuses itself very close to the Cape. This appears to be our best shot at accumulating snow - and the idea of 2 to 4" still looks reasonable.

and then this...

One of the more complex weather situations in recent memory continues to evolve this morning. Heavy snow fell yesterday in parts of Southern New England - but it was very localized in nature as expected. Parts of Southwest Connecticut received 12 to 15" of snow...with much of it falling in just a few hours! Thunder and lightning accompanied the snow as an intense convergence zone, or norlun trough, shifted across that area. In fact, the National Weather Service in NYC reported that some of the snow "cells" had some rotation(!!) on RADAR, indicating extreme instability.

The trough weakened as it pressed eastward, dropping progressively lighter totals across Southern New England, ultimately leaving us here on the Cape with just a light dusting of snow this morning.

However, this story is not over yet. As mentioned yesterday, this looks to be a two-part storm. A new low pressure area is taking shape off the Mid-Atlantic seaboard this morning and will intensify as it moves northeastward to a position southeast of Nantucket late tonight. This storm will be a compact, but strong system...meaning subtle shifts in track will make a big difference in total snowfall accumulations.

That said, it does appear that the low pressure area will track just close enough to the Cape to envelope the region in the western semi-circle of precipitation. Snow should develop here on the Cape after dinner, and become steady and locally heavy at times overnight. Strong gusty north to northeast winds will accompany the snow late at night, making for tough late night and pre-dawn travel.

UPDATE as of 10PM: Precipitation is taking longer to develop and thus the window for accumulating snowfall is looking smaller. While snow will still fall overnight, totals will likely be on the order of 2 to 4...maybe 3 to 5" around the area. The National Weather Service has maintained the Winter Storm Warning for the time being, but may drop it to an advisory overnight.

May be Phil while I was calling for a dusting to two.

I'd love to contest what you wrote but you only forecast after the event is over - and still got that wrong :)

You have to let the event play out. The models ended up correct with the qpf, and overall did a fairly good job imo. They indicated the times and areas that would get hit hard, and were correct. I think the "heaviest" snow was just west of you..but you can't pinpoint mesoscale screw zones or jackpots. Even last night, I went to bed being a little unsure of what would happen from BOS south, but after watching the radar trends and noticing how models swung that area of lift down to the sw and south....I mentioned to just see how it all played out.

I think there needs to be a rule about photo resizing. I don't know why people just can't do it.

This, congrats, yea no wind at all, still pretty calm here, cleanup done, will go out to play in the yard before football after model runs though. Yesterday was the epitome of my weenie hood, wake up check models, look at stats from the death squall, sledding, beer, UCONN BBall, constant radar model checks, more beer football, heavy heavy snow, Euro check bed.

Archived