• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/6/11 18z Model Run

At 66, the southern stream is shortwave is slower and more amplified in TX compared to 72 in the 12z GFS. That would be a good thing, I guess, for the MA and NE. You know, if it weren't the 66 hr NAM.

Yep, been all over the NAM since last night with this (yes, I know its beyond 48 hours)...it has consistently been more amplified and stronger with the southern vort.

Yep, been all over the NAM since last night with this (yes, I know its beyond 48 hours)...it has consistently been more amplified and stronger with the southern vort.

Seems much stronger even that 6z at the same time (72 from the 18z). PV a little further NE, a little higher heights in the east (or at least the MA). Precip def. much further north.

Extrapolation is always dangerous but at 78hr the trough in the west is a little stronger and looks more consolidated so I think it may end up being a little better than the last run, famous last words.

Yeah, by 102, it's a bit more amped up across the Plains. Looks like a decent snow event for them out in KS/OK

The western trough was way too slow this run and couldn't save the weak low level circulation near the GOM once that southern wave precipitates itself out through rapid height rises. The window here is tiny for coastal development.

The window is small and shrinking for those wanting a decent storm except maybe nc. It's the story of this year for the dc snow hole. Looks a lot like the dec 19th non-event.

The window is small and shrinking for those wanting a decent storm except maybe nc. It's the story of this year for the dc snow hole. Looks a lot like the dec 19th non-event.

I am pulling for DC/BA sometime this winter. Long ways to go yet.

But yeah, it all these events have had some similarities, agreed. The presence of a weak southern stream and sort of dependence upon the GOM has been the story to some degree with each threat.

I suppose the good news is that there are 5 or 6 GEFS members more amplified than the ops, which would probably imply a stronger system. But that also means there are 14 or 15 members that are equal or less amplified.

one good thing is with a 1045 high sitting in the middle of the country we do not need an incredibly deep SLP to get the gradient needed for a decent storm.

This is gonna sound really weenie-ish, but it's a huge red flag that the NOGAPS is northwest. Usually it's the model that's the most suppressed.

It would be more of a red flag if we were closer to the event...like 3 days out or so. The NOGAPS is pretty useless beyond that time frame.

Archived