• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
When will we see the Next Big Snowstorm for the East Coast ?

WXOUTLOOKS just updated his blog and now has New York City getting 50-60 inches of snow this winter after last week only predicting 10-20 inches for the entire season. Apparently believes that February now will likely be rather cold and snowy due to a rapidly weakening La Nina. Quite a sharp reversal in thinking here and was wondering whether the mets could chime in with their thoughts.

Jersey Andrew

I agree that there's a decent chance a week or two after the warmup ends. But really I'm not expecting much this winter. That blizzard was a perfect thread the needle situation in a winter where the ENSO state isn't favorable for any kind of crippling storm.

You should see Don's list of analogs-- there are actually two winters in a mod-strong la nina when this happened and both had another one later on in the winter. One of them is an analog I have been using (1916-17).

I have no complaints about la ninas-- we have had some of our best winters in both la ninas and el ninos and some of our worst winters in both also. NAO is much more of a factor on the east coast than ENSO is.

I agree that there's a decent chance a week or two after the warmup ends. But really I'm not expecting much this winter. That blizzard was a perfect thread the needle situation in a winter where the ENSO state isn't favorable for any kind of crippling storm.

The only good thing about our location is we don't need to thread the needle to get a big storm back here like they need to do on the coast.

The only good thing about our location is we don't need to thread the needle to get a big storm back here like they need to do on the coast.

Jersey Shore is becoming the snow capital of the Untied States. 3 huge storms last year and one big one this year already. They seem to be threading the needle just fine.

I really think the next big one will be a return to the days of old....rain at the coast...snow to rain in big cities and then all snow well north and west up in your neck of the woods. Seems like it is well past due IMHO.

www.chescowx.com

Jersey Shore is becoming the snow capital of the Untied States. 3 huge storms last year and one big one this year already. They seem to be threading the needle just fine.

Megablock rules.

In this blocky pattern in the last two winters, there really hasn't been an event where we've seen the changeover mess that we're all used to, even in the coldest of months. Amazing. And the fact that there have been four (five?) KU storms in the last 12 months (one so far in a Nina) makes it all the more impressive.

Eric Horst, from Millersville University has a interesting discussion today. While he says snow lovers shouldn't give up on the rest of the winter, this past storm was most likely the best chance the east coast will have the rest of the winter. He expects a more mild period coming up with storms cutting toward the lakes. While he says blocking may return, don't expect anything like yesterday to happen anymore this winter.

Eric Horst, from Millersville University has a interesting discussion today. While he says snow lovers shouldn't give up on the rest of the winter, this past storm was most likely the best chance the east coast will have the rest of the winter. He expects a more mild period coming up with storms cutting toward the lakes. While he says blocking may return, don't expect anything like yesterday to happen anymore this winter.

That is why we are so down about this in the DC/Balt area, because we believe this might have been our only chance this winter and we got shut out.

That is why we are so down about this in the DC/Balt area, because we believe this might have been our only chance this winter and we got shut out.

I only got 2 inches out of it so i feel your pain. Let me stress, he didn't say winter is over like JB, he just said that was probably the best opportunity for a storm like that on the east coast. Nina has to win sometime.

Megablock rules.

In this blocky pattern in the last two winters, there really hasn't been an event where we've seen the changeover mess that we're all used to, even in the coldest of months. Amazing. And the fact that there have been four (five?) KU storms in the last 12 months (one so far in a Nina) makes it all the more impressive.

The 70s and 80s and 90s saw too many of the changeover type events, we're merely balancing things out. That was a time period when the nao was mostly positive, and now we're in a predominantly neg nao state so we are seeing the more classic time-honored noreaster tracks. It's not that unusual, just a function of a cyclical pattern switch.

The 70s and 80s and 90s saw too many of the changeover type events, we're merely balancing things out. That was a time period when the nao was mostly positive, and now we're in a predominantly neg nao state so we are seeing the more classic time-honored noreaster tracks. It's not that unusual, just a function of a cyclical pattern switch.

Agreed, Alex. It seems to be a different cyclical pattern than the one most of us have grown up with, so it appears anomalous to us.

This is something I was commenting on just yesterday. Growing up in NW NJ in the 80s and 90s we always got destroyed while NYC would change over or end up with nothing or slush. That doesn't seem to happen at all anymore but went on for a good twenty years. It just seems NYC is experiencing a period that won't be repeated again in my lifetime, and I expect to live until 2060 at least! I guess they should enjoy it while it lasts.

Archived