Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
00Z model discussion

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is only for a 24 hr period but the sref is really pretty tightly clustered over the mid atlantic.

post-70-0-82198000-1293329016.gif

Wes: anytime I post in a thread that you are visiting, I should have a disclaimer about

having no professional met. credentials.

Having said that, the NAM, to me, says that the storm phases three hours too late to favor

the Balto/Wash region. It seems that we are in the better 700 mb moisture convergence

for six hours at best.

Not surprised, this has been a reoccurring theme all week. Comments/corrections appreciated.

+2..

Nam is west of the 12z run..

Anyone comparing to the typical "qpf bomb" 18z run to the 0z needs to re evaluate.

we're about 9hrs from this. Start relying on the now cast..

It's DC and BAL members freaking out. They're right on the edge, A 20 mile shift SE is horrible.

I'm glad to be in CT for the week, deal is sealed here.

Wes: anytime I post in a thread that you are visiting, I should have a disclaimer about

having no professional met. credentials.

Having said that, the NAM, to me, says that the storm phases three hours too late to favor

the Balto/Wash region. It seems that we are in the better 700 mb moisture convergence

for six hours at best.

Not surprised, this has been a reoccurring theme all week. Comments/corrections appreciated.

I have no idea what the nam means, it could be that it's better resolution is helping it or that the convective feedback is hurting it. We won't know until verification. The sref members are west of its track but at this time range, I don't know what that means except we wait and see. I'm glad jason kept his 3-6 for the dc area and think at this point that is what you ride. I wouldn't want to have the 6-10 out right now though if the srefs are right, tht might be the best call. NY and CT look primed no matter what model you use.

Guest stormchaser

While this 00z NAM is less encouraging, lets wait til the 00z GFS and see what it says.... the 21z SREF looked great still

While this 00z NAM is less encouraging, lets wait til the 00z GFS and see what it says.... the 21z SREF looked great still

4 runs in a row they have held steady

Will, ORHWX, posted yesterday that the SREF's have 2nd best verification numbers only to Euro

that's worth something unless this is the one storm where they cr@p the bed

Nothing raises an eyebrow regarding the data ingest. Also remember additional RECON data was suggested by DR earlier...

NCEP Operational Status Message

Sun Dec 26 01:30:28 2010 GMT

NOUS42 KWNO 260129ADMNFD SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGENWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS CAMP SPRINGS MD0129Z SUN DEC 26 2010THE NCEP 00Z MODEL CYCLE IS OFF AND RUNNING ON TIME WITHGOOD DATA COVERAGE.

INCLUDED WERE...14/AK...31 CANADIAN69 CONUS/3 MEXICAN AND 2 CARIBBEAN REPORTS IN TIME FORTHE NAM START.

00Z NAM RAOB RECAP...NKX/72293 - SHORT REPORT TO 446MB.ILX/74560 - DELAYED TO A FLIGHT EQ FAILUE.MEX/76679 - REPORT NOT AVAILABLE.KPP/78970 - 10159. REPORT NOT AVAILABLE.SPECIAL RAOBS...CHH -- 12/26/06Z/18Z.OKX -- 12/26/18Z.LWX -- 12/26/06Z.MHX -- 12/26/06Z.NCEP SENDS THX TO THOSE STATIONS FOR VOLUNTEERING SPECIALRAOBS.$$WOOLDRIDGE/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Will, ORHWX, posted yesterday that the SREF's have 2nd best verification numbers only to Euro

It does have the second best verification. The 01Z ruc has a different looking vert vel field and the low tucked closer to the coast.. It's not the greatest mdoel but appears to be west of the nam with decetn uvv moving into our area. Best just to hold tight.

It does have the second best verification. The 01Z ruc has a different looking vert vel field and the low tucked closer to the coast.. It's not the greatest mdoel but appears to be west of the nam with decetn uvv moving into our area. Best just to hold tight.

Thank you Wes for your knowledge and commentary on this storm. I would like the storm tucked closer to the coast.

Yeah, and at the 1" QPF threshold they are actually better than the Euro

m172hnec.gif

The GFS has been pretty consistent in regards to the coverage of snow and how far NW it spreads. We all know from experience that in MOST storms, places in NJ, for example...like West Milford always get heavier banding and pick up 5-10" more than surrounding areas, sometimes even more. The NAM is west of it's 12Z run, just a bit east of its 18z.....the gfs has held its coverage of the snow run after run and brought the western extent way into PA and NY state....It's just changed where the bullseye of QPF is (though not necessarily where the highest amounts will be, as stated before).....I think we can expect the highest QPF amounts from central jersey on into central long island right up NE into new england...Probably 1.5-2"

The GFS has been pretty consistent in regards to the coverage of snow and how far NW it spreads. We all know from experience that in MOST storms, places in NJ, for example...like West Milford always get heavier banding and pick up 5-10" more than surrounding areas, sometimes even more. The NAM is west of it's 12Z run, just a bit east of its 18z.....the gfs has held its coverage of the snow run after run and brought the western extent way into PA and NY state....It's just changed where the bullseye of QPF is (though not necessarily where the highest amounts will be, as stated before).....I think we can expect the highest QPF amounts from central jersey on into central long island right up NE into new england...Probably 1.5-2"

You gotta love how the hilly terrain there and the forcing associated with coastal storms almost always results in a hyper band that sets up around I-287.

are u saying the ruc is not very good at 9-18 hour range with mesoscale features? i thought it was?

I like it at shorter time range, 18 hrs is getting too far out in time for me to like it but it does get mby in the deformation zone by 19Z tomorrow and keeps it there for at least 2 hours so today, I'm going to like ti (said with tongue in cheek). I have seen it do a decent job with deformation zones.

Hey I know this isn't a regional thread but after the rollercoaster ride we have endured, folks up in S NE, enjoy your snow! I'm in N VA, and won't get much but glad to see you getting your share after last year! I hope the GFS comes a bit west and at least more brushes the MA. Seems other than the SREF we're seeing consensus.

Any analysis?

Upper level flow needs to tilt negative and soon, and radar needs to fill in more back out in TN/KY/WV and make more of a northward push in order SN to make it west of I-95 for DC area. This may happen, but I'm not seeing it quite yet. That said, the sfc low is still way down in FL/GA so we still have time. But not a lot of time.

Upper level flow needs to tilt negative and soon, and radar needs to fill in more back out in TN/KY/WV and make more of a northward push in order SN to make it west of I-95 for DC area. This may happen, but I'm not seeing it quite yet. That said, the sfc low is still way down in FL/GA so we still have time. But not a lot of time.

Sfc obs say light snow from wallops NW into SW PA and as far west as central KY.

Archived