• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

7 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:
12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:
I feel like it might but hrrr wants to develop. I was referring more to the stuff near me. Congrats Taunton.

Just drove through the industrial park in Taunton on the way to Attleboro. Incredibly heavy rains and tons of lightning.

Yeah, it looked nasty on radar. Nice one.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

yup...was hoping maybe it would intensify but nada thus far. 

But it is a bit more promising southwest back into PA

Too early in the day unfortunately...the stuff moving through now will just muck up the works for later...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

745 AM Update...

Bit of an overhaul to the forecast. Leaned toward latest FV3
guidance as it is doing well based on latest observations. Added
a much more widespread thunder mention given its happening right
now with a few hundred J/kg of MUCAPE per SPC meso. Based on
this added thunder where CAPE AOA 500 J/kg, which matches well
with SPC latest Day 1 Outlook. Still thinking there could be
isolated severe storms with greatest risk of damaging winds
along with hail.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I was a bit surprised the point and click had this all out of here by 3pm? I thought this would go into the mid evening based on what I read yesterday?

Everything sped up by 6 hrs...there could be some action late but most of it looks to be done by 2pm at least for Western sections

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Too early in the day unfortunately...the stuff moving through now will just muck up the works for later...

ehhh the only difference between now and later is elevated convection versus surfaced-based convection. It's a favorable environment for elevated convection and hail. The damaging wind gust threat with this stuff is lower. While it would be higher later on, it may not be that much higher because llvl shear is pretty weak. 

I don't think there is that much of a difference if this stuff held off a few hours later

• Like 2

Haven't looked at much but knee jerk reaction to radar trends, ... this isn't doing much today N of about Meriden CT.

... even though there is no warm front being analyzed by WPC... the stuff in SE Mass included with the warned cell entering SW CT and extending back W along that axis, smacks as some sort of boundary.  It may be theta-e but I'm venturing that idea without looking. 

In general, sending anvil debris and light rain N of that ~ axis may not end well for them

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Haven't looked at much but knee jerk reaction to radar trends, ... this isn't doing much today N of about Meriden CT.

... even though there is no warm front being analyzed by WPC... the stuff in SE Mass included with the warned cell entering SW CT and extending back W along that axis, smacks as some sort of boundary.  It may be theta-e but I'm venturing without looking.  Bottom line, sending anvil debris and light rain N of that ~ axis may not end well for them

It seems to be right along a weak theta-e boundary and nose of stronger mlvl jet. Also have the pressure trough kicking east

18 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

Greetings fellow New Englanders.
An exciting period ahead for severe enthusiasts.
I'm going to try to grace these pages with a post or two.
Startin with:
   Blitzortung.org - Live Lightning Map
I find this very informative combined with the GR product of choice.

Massive destructive cell over Danbury/Brookfield.  

On 5/20/2024 at 8:34 AM, NoCORH4L said:
5 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Threatening look to the sky at least....some thunder, rain might be the most impressive part

20240523_084322.jpg

Looking SSW towards Southbury/Roxbury from Bethlehem.  Incoming.  Brother on 84 in Brookfield had to pull over it was so severe.

20240523_084503.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

Looking SSW towards Southbury/Roxbury from Bethlehem.  Incoming.  Brother on 84 in Brookfield had to pull over it was so severe.

20240523_084503.jpg

Rates have been pushing 6"/hr here...not too bad for a morning in May

• Like 1