• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024 General Discussion

rainsucks

I covered my apple trees. Not an easy feat lol. If it happens next spring I may just run the sprinkler.

DTW got down to 28F, missing the record low (26- 1892) by 2F. White Lake got to 23F. What was unusual about this is that most late spring frosts/freezes have dews near the temp, but we saw temps in the 28-29F range while dews were 20-22F. Very unusual, albeit brief, for late April.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I covered my apple trees. Not an easy feat lol. If it happens next spring I may just run the sprinkler.

DTW got down to 28F, missing the record low (26- 1892) by 2F. White Lake got to 23F. What was unusual about this is that most late spring frosts/freezes have dews near the temp, but we saw temps in the 28-29F range while dews were 20-22F. Very unusual, albeit brief, for late April.

Nothing too unusual for southeast lower Michigan. In 1874, the average low for the entire month at Detroit was 28.7F. And there have been 5 years in which the average low for the month of April was below freezing.  That's why they say hold off on planting until Memorial Day.

image.png.e7bdcf6de953f4a9a8d94afb5b6b32b8.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Nothing too unusual for southeast lower Michigan. In 1874, the average low for the entire month at Detroit was 28.7F. And there have been 5 years in which the average low for the month of April was below freezing.  That's why they say hold off on planting until Memorial Day.

image.png.e7bdcf6de953f4a9a8d94afb5b6b32b8.png

What does showing the coldest Aprils on record (1874 over 10F colder than avg) have to do with noting the unusual nature of this mornings cold? The record low was missed by 2F and again, as pointed out, the dewpoints were unusually low. Im well aware of the planting guidelines (they say Mothers Day, not Memorial Day) but theres little you can do with trees established in the ground. 

This marks the 5th consecutive year that the last freeze was later than avg

2024 (Apr 25)

2023 (Apr 26)

2022 (Apr 29)

2021 (May 1)

2022 (May 13) *only May 10, 1966 saw a colder temp so late in the season than the 27F on May 9, 2020).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

bottomed out at 39 this morning imby

hopefully the last 30s until fall here

I hear you and you have good chance. :thumbsup:  Not gonna happen here.  Plenty of 30s to go including tonight's 32F forecast.  Shoot my area gets 30s at least once in the summer months (June and August last year)!!

10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

What does showing the coldest Aprils on record (1874 over 10F colder than avg) have to do with noting the unusual nature of this mornings cold? The record low was missed by 2F and again, as pointed out, the dewpoints were unusually low. Im well aware of the planting guidelines (they say Mothers Day, not Memorial Day) but theres little you can do with trees established in the ground. 

2024 (Apr 25)

2023 (Apr 26)

2022 (Apr 29)

2021 (May 1)

2022 (May 13) *only May 10, 1966 saw a colder temp so late in the season than the 27F on May 9, 2020).

Actually has a lot to do with it. I was pointing out that there have been entire Aprils where the mean minimum temperature was near or below freezing in Detroit. April 1874, of course, was particularly noteworthy, as it was case where the average low for the entire month was only a fraction of a degree warmer than the minimum this morning. An occasional freezing morning is to be expected more often than not.

Planting my tomatoes today, got some heirlooms this year too, those are my favorite. 

EDIT: it’s crazy how fast summer sneaks up on you this time of year, last year by the end of May we were in the low to mid 90s, a mere 35 days from today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Actually has a lot to do with it. I was pointing out that there have been entire Aprils where the mean minimum temperature was near or below freezing in Detroit. April 1874, of course, was particularly noteworthy, as it was case where the average low for the entire month was only a fraction of a degree warmer than the minimum this morning. An occasional freezing morning is to be expected more often than not.

Timing is important. Record lows the first 2/3 of April are generally in the teens, then they jump to the mid to upper 20s the last 3rd of April. This year trees are about 10 days ahead of normal so last nights conditions (temps 20s, dews upper teens to low 20s) can really harm fruit trees. Its not so much an issue with potted plants because nobody should have planted anything yet. 

Though we did not have anything to show other than a trace on the 21st this year, frequency of post-April 15th snow has been at an all time high the last ~15 years. 

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

2024 (Apr 25)

2023 (Apr 26)

2022 (Apr 29)

2021 (May 1)

Whats your average last frost? Here its going to be right about on schedule assuming we dont get another one.

Also can I finally say the snow season is done haha. 26.4" was all YYZ got which is good for 6th least amount of snow since records began at YYZ in the mid 1930s. I ended up being right talking futility in mid January but I did get a bit nervous there with that late march 2-4" event haha 

21 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

2024 (Apr 25)

2023 (Apr 26)

2022 (Apr 29)

2021 (May 1)

Seems the last 2 years, April 25th has been a frosty one for you. Last year it hit 30. 28 & 30 are top 5 temps for the date. And your right about damage to fruit trees. The milder wx this month helps those buds pop a little early, so temps like this hurt. Even the 24th was top 5.

April 25

1892 - 26

1919/67 - 27

1934/2024 - 28

1875/1974 - 29

1883/1941/72/2023 - 30

April 24

1874/75/83/92 - 27

1909/19/30/71/2015 - 29

1918/27/96 - 30

1888/1907/67/99/2024 - 31

1974/89/2005 - 32

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 9:03 PM, mississaugasnow said:

Whats your average last frost? Here its going to be right about on schedule assuming we dont get another one.

Also can I finally say the snow season is done haha. 26.4" was all YYZ got which is good for 6th least amount of snow since records began at YYZ in the mid 1930s. I ended up being right talking futility in mid January but I did get a bit nervous there with that late march 2-4" event haha 

Average last freeze is:

150-year avg: April 24th

1991-2020 avg: April 21st

Dont have an exact stat on last frost, but if you go by frost with temp of 37F or lower, then the avg last frost is:

150-year avg: May 10th

1991-2020 avg: May 7th 

Detroit finished 18th least snowy since 1880 with 23.5" (for reference, you are using the mid 1930s, this would be the 15th least since 1935). Definitely a winter to forget, but cant say we werent due for an unusually low snow year. It happens. 

• Like 1

About 3/4 - 1" of rain around here so far with scattered showers in the area. Next round slated for tomorrow into Monday. My deceased son's b-day tomorrow. Getting together with family. Going to be an ugly day, as winds will be running 30-40 off the Lake with the rain starting around midday.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Brian D said:

About 3/4 - 1" of rain around here so far with scattered showers in the area. Next round slated for tomorrow into Monday. My deceased son's b-day tomorrow. Getting together with family. Going to be an ugly day, as winds will be running 30-40 off the Lake with the rain starting around midday.

Similar weather on tap over this way. At least it’s warm today, mid 60's. 
Tomorrow will be 17 years since my Grandpa died. He was more like a Dad tho. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1