• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central Pa. Spring 2024

14 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Florida reports and pictures have me jealous. Still waiting for my wife to say "let's go" and I'm out.

We are having to stay inside most of the day so do not feel too jealous...unless you have 1-5 Mill to get a place right on the coast (in a desired area) living here is like living in a frying pan.  Also, the house insurance and taxes on my old place near Ocala, a simple 1800 ft home, is 7K a year now.  That least piece is ironic because anyone that comes here to retire is taking on what is almost a mortgage to pay those two items yearly.  I enjoy my less than half that totals in PA.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We are having to stay inside most of the day so do not feel too jealous...unless you have 1-5 Mill to get a place right on the coast (in a desired area) living here is like living in a frying pan.  Also, the house insurance and taxes on my old place near Ocala, a simple 1800 ft home, is 7K a year now.  That least piece is ironic because anyone that comes here to retire is taking on what is almost a mortgage to pay those two items yearly.  I enjoy my less than half that totals in PA.

Wow, more affordable than I would have thought. Our property taxes alone dwarf that.

6 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Wow, more affordable than I would have thought. Our property taxes alone dwarf that.

Your taxes are more than 7K a year?  That is exorbitant for PA.  I do know of some schools districts near Reading they were that high,  Mine are close to 2500 and my home is in the 300-400K range.   Florida is very unaffordable on almost all aspects right now.  An 1800 sq foot house in the middle of the state, surrounded by old trailers, is 350K.   Just 10 years ago that same home was hovering around 150K. The salaries here are not able to match the cost of real estate or rent so lots and lots and lots of unsold homes.   

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Your taxes are more than 7K a year?  That is exorbitant for PA.  Mine are close to 2500.   Florida is very unaffordable on all aspects right now.  An 1800 sq foot house in the middle of the state is 350K.  Yet the salaries here are not able to match that so lots and lots and lots of unsold homes. 

I’m sure Florida is the extreme but sounds like pretty much everywhere recently. Housing market wasn’t much better than that here in the Lancaster area the last couple of years. Believe me, I know, my wife and I were stuck in it for almost two years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I’m sure Florida is the extreme but sounds like pretty much everywhere recently. Housing market wasn’t much better than that here in the Lancaster area the last couple of years. Believe me, I know, my wife and I were stuck in it for almost two years. 

Florida is stuck again just like they were in 2007 though to a lesser degree so far....people paid too high of a price for a home and between that and the interest rates, back to keys being handed back in again.  The home insurance is one of the big issues as well with many people having to go with the state program because commercial companies will not cover them anymore.  We saw a friend in Daytona last week, 1.5 blocks off the beach, and their home insurance is 8-9K a year.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Your taxes are more than 7K a year?  That is exorbitant for PA.  I do know of some schools districts near Reading they were that high,  Mine are close to 2500 and my home is in the 300-400K range.   Florida is very unaffordable on almost all aspects right now.  An 1800 sq foot house in the middle of the state, surrounded by old trailers, is 350K.   Just 10 years ago that same home was hovering around 150K. The salaries here are not able to match the cost of real estate or rent so lots and lots and lots of unsold homes.   

Weird. We paid just under 400k in 2018, and ours is $10k a year between city, county and school.

14 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Weird. We paid just under 400k in 2018, and ours is $10k a year between city, county and school.

That is very high for stuff I am familiar with in PA.  That is almost up to Fairfax County, VA levels but something like that is tough for a retiree regardless of location.  10K year means you are paying 800-900 a month even after the mortgage is paid off.  For some it is no big deal, but the masses would have trouble affording that when retired.  

Not a bad view to wake up to but I could never live in Florida. Just not my style, but thats why life is so fun. Everyone enjoys different things. Flying home this afternoon  
IMG-2704.jpg
A negroni is waiting for you

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Mine are thanks to the school district taxes. Just go to Realtor.com and search the 17331 zip code. Pretty outrageous really, especially when you consider gas taxes.

After another 0.09" of rain yesterday here in East Nantmeal we are way above normal rainfall for the year and almost normal so far here in May. Great news for the local farmers!  Today should see the sun returning at times with temps not too far from normal in the low to mid 70's. Sun from Monday through Wednesday with temps warming into the low 80's. Shower chances by Thursday before the sun returns with temps about normal for Memorial Day weekend.
Records for today across Chester County: High 96 degrees at Phoenixville (1962) of note all 9 reported weather locations on that date in 1962 had highs between 93 and 96 degrees. Record cold was 33 degrees at Kennett Square 2S (2009) / Record rain was the 4.85" that fell in West Chester (1900). All 4 reporting locations that day recorded big rain totals with Phoenixville 4.72" / Coatesville 1SW 3.46" and Kennett Square 2.75"

image.png.58203cae54d28897225dac61389e2327.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yes - we have extended family members living in Jacksonville, New Smyrna Beach and Kissimmee. We visit on each trip and listen to them and have learned a lot...honestly, if we do make the move it'll likely be to the Jacksonville area. I get my Florida vibes going and we can get home to visit in 12 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

Mine are thanks to the school district taxes. Just go to Realtor.com and search the 17331 zip code. Pretty outrageous really, especially when you consider gas taxes.

We were just searching for houses in Hanover 5 years ago and in our price range the highest taxes we saw were under 4K.  This was the homestead price or whatever that is called in PA.  I did see 6K taxes next to Tamaqua in Hometown.  We were told it was due to the low density of people in the area so everyone had to make up the difference.      Maybe we did not see any in your zip code/district.  But having all real estate and school taxes under 3K was a requirement of our searching.

57 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes - we have extended family members living in Jacksonville, New Smyrna Beach and Kissimmee. We visit on each trip and listen to them and have learned a lot...honestly, if we do make the move it'll likely be to the Jacksonville area. I get my Florida vibes going and we can get home to visit in 12 hours.

Insurance is the big issue for people down here right now.  It is all we are hearing about as we visit family.  All but one were dropped by their carrier and had to switch to Citizens which is the insurer of last resort re: your wallet is not going to be happy.   We have friends in Sarasota whose insurance is over 25K a year including the wind damage option...and their house is under 2000K sq feet.  Lots of people, who do not have a mortgage, are chancing it with no insurance.  It is forcing retirees to leave Florida.

It snows in Jax about every 3-5 years for non accum!  Accum is more rare.   That may be more than Lanco had last year :-).

Insurance is making some move to their cars which is crazy.

'Pay it, or roll the dice': Florida residents bunk in their cars as home insurance costs cripple people's finances (msn.com)

27 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We were just searching for houses in Hanover 5 years ago and in our price range the highest taxes we saw were under 4K.  This was the homestead price or whatever that is called in PA.  I did see 6K taxes next Tamaqua,    Maybe we did not see any in your zip code/district.  But having all real estate and school taxes under 3K was a requirement of our searching.

I knew the taxes were outrageous before buying, but moving from MD where they taxed retirement income made it a wash...until MD starting waiving taxes on retirement income after we left. :fulltilt:

• Sad 1

Insurance is the big issue for people down here right now.  It is all we are hearing about as we visit family.  All but one were dropped by their carrier and had to switch to Citizens which is the insurer of last resort re: your wallet is not going to be happy.   We have friends in Sarasota whose insurance is over 25K a year including the wind damage option...and their house is under 2000K sq feet.  Lots of people, who do not have a mortgage, are chancing it with no insurance.  It is forcing retirees to leave Florida.
It snows in Jax about every 3-5 years for non accum!  Accum is more rare.   That may be more than Lanco had last year :-).
'Pay it, or roll the dice': Florida residents bunk in their cars as home insurance costs cripple people's finances (msn.com)

Seems like they are inching forward to have a huge economic shock in the aftermath of one strong storm hitting a huge population center.

14 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Seems like they are inching forward to have a huge economic shock in the aftermath of one strong storm hitting a huge population center.

That was what Desantis was suggesting.  The general feeling here with those that I spoke with is that they are considering moves to SC, NC, Ala and TN.  Everyone knows the real estate is a huge bubble, and they want to get out.  

• Like 1

That was what Desantis was suggesting.  The general feeling here with those that I spoke with is that they are considering moves to SC, NC, Ala and TN.  Everyone knows the real estate is a huge bubble, and they want to get out.  
Imagine the aftermath of the state insurance blowing up

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Wow, that is crazy regarding insurance. I had no idea it was THAT high.

"Winter" weather is definitely part of my Jacksonville equation. Definitely would get at least some cold shots each winter. That, location from PA and my favorite cruise terminal (Jaxport) are all appealing to me. And I'd be close enough to Daytona/Cocoa Beach.

• Like 1

South Carolina is my target for retirement.

I am not a big fan of Florida.

That's where my parents are looking. In fact I'm taking my daughter to fly down to Savannah Georgia then go over the hilton head with them in late June

My retirement plan is going to be slinging drinks in a place like the villages till I croak, hopefully in way that let people have a good laugh.

Another news it's going to be pushing 90 here on Tuesday and Wednesday

40 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

My retirement plan is going to be slinging drinks in a place like the villages till I croak, hopefully in way that let people have a good laugh.

Another news it's going to be pushing 90 here on Tuesday and Wednesday

Yea the AC def will come on for the first time this year Tuesday evening methinks.