• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central Pa. Spring 2024

With the summer season quickly approaching  and the fact I now have access to much more station data then in the past. I went back to the complete Chester County PA data set of 26 stations with some having data back to the 1890's. I wanted to see if the number of hot days as defined by 90 degrees is increasing or decreasing here in Chester County?? I separated the stations by their elevation above sea level as we know with increasing elevation there are far less days that surpass 90 degrees. Of the 26 stations in the data the majority (17) stations are sited below 500 ft above sea level (ASL) While only 9 stations are sited at above 500 ft ASL. Going forward  with the data here in the 2020's we will still have the majority of stations (11) that are located at lower elevations while 7 of the current stations are in the relatively higher spots.
The data which is analyzed by average number of 90 degree days by decade is quite clear that the number of 90 plus days is decreasing at all elevations. In fact the 2020's to date are trending as the 2nd least 90+ days at the lower spots and at the lowest level in the higher spots. Can you imagine back when we really had hot summers like in the 1930's through 1950's how tough it must have been without air conditioning??

image.thumb.png.c66d6583c82d1b60feab7ad7549717cf.png

3 hours ago, canderson said:

80 at 3:45. Today is our wedding anniversary. We got married in Texas and it was 98 that day. At least it’s not that hot here! 

Great day for an anniversary. Warm and blue skies. I hope you and your wife enjoy it. 

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, when your wedding anniversary is old enough to vote, you are not a kid anymore :-) 

At 17 it reached the age of consent in a few states. I posted that to FB and my mother called and admonished me lol 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was there tonight!

Nice night for it! I went to 3 games in April and thoroughly enjoyed my time. I’ve started watching more of them since they’re fun and the Sox well aren’t so much. 

0.22" of rain this AM from the thunderstorm...briefly lost power. Should see sun returning today and our warmest day for at least the next couple weeks as temps make a run at the 80's today. By contrast on Friday we will struggle to escape the 50's for high temps.
Chester County records for today: High 98 degrees at Phoenixville (1930) / Low 29 degrees at both West Chester and Morgantown (1974) / Rain 2.90" Coatesville 2W (1992)
image.png.e89ebfc7256faea8783b1fb05620f5e5.png

May 2023 through April 2024 was the warmest 12-month stretch on record with a global average temperature of 2.90 degrees Fahrenheit above the 1850 to 1900 pre-industrial average, the report found....

...The last time Earth recorded a colder than average year was in 1976 -- 48 years ago -- according to NOAA.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/earth-experienced-warmest-april-record-020046872.html

10 hours ago, canderson said:

Nice night for it! I went to 3 games in April and thoroughly enjoyed my time. I’ve started watching more of them since they’re fun and the Sox well aren’t so much. 

We have a 6 game pack. My wife is a Phillies fan and we have a lot of fun. They are a great group of guys.

• Like 1

So I have updated the average number of 90 degree days to include the Philadelphia International Airport and overlaid that analysis over the Chester County data shared yesterday. You can clearly see the impact of the urban heat island (UHI) on the official Philadelphia climate site (the red line is the rapid heat growth). While 90 degrees are declining in Chester County they are rapidly increasing in frequency at the airport. So far in the 2020's PHL is averaging more than 3 weeks of additional 90+ days than here in Chester County.
In 1940 when weather observations started at the airport it's footprint was only around 300 acres. Since 1940 the PHL Airport has expanded to over 2,600 acres. That is a staggering 2,078% growth. The significant impact to the official Philadelphia climate data due to this rapid expansion is clearly illustrated below.
Especially starting in 1970 when we began to see huge increases in the addition of asphalt, concrete and taxi ways. In 1970 alone the airport added 64% more gates and buildings. Just 2 years later in 1972 runways were expanded to handle 747's. Then 4 new terminals were added in 1977 and parking spaces were increased from 5k to 20k. Rapid increase in asphalt continued in 2002 with an additional 8 miles of pavement added to the site. In 2005 runways were increased and as of today there is now 33,000 feet of asphalt runway at the airport. Next time you see the reporting of 90 degree days on TV.....keep in mind where those figures are coming from - it is not where people live.

UHI PHL.jpg

1 hour ago, anotherman said:

Question for everyone.....we are planning an outdoor activity at my school tomorrow.  It will be between 12 and 2.  Any thoughts on if we should reschedule?  I see showers but not thundershowers at that time.

I don’t think storms would hit until later. But I am an idiot lol 

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Today the AC comes on. It’s too swampy. 

I dragged my air conditioner upstairs last night at 8:30 and installed the damned thing. Forecast for the rest of the month now appears cold. I should have just dropped the thing on my head.

• Haha 2