• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central Pa. Spring 2024

Ouch, not using that word any more regardless...urban dictionary suggests it is a racial related term. 

Yeah. I just looked. Randall hasn't quite taken it back yet.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, sauss06 said:

got warmer then i expected. Sunny 54

I find it more and more they are wrong over the temps low or high then they have ever been before the last 10 years or so.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Low of 32 at the MJS residence. Looks like a dreary couple days ahead. Man, this news about the Francis Scott Key Bridge collision and collapse is crazy. Thank god it didn’t happen during busy daylight hours. 

34 here.  There is a video of the collapse on Cnn and Foxnews for anyone that did not see it.    Hard to fathom what this will mean for Baltimore right now.  Shipping and car traffic going to be tough for a while.    Sonar is finding cars under water. 

• Sad 1

I see a lot of people down talking the impact on Baltimore car and truck traffic.   The bridge handles 30-40K vehicles per day of which 80% are between the 12 hours between 7A and 7P meaning 2300-2400 additional vehicles each hour on I95 and 895 during the 12-hour stretch.     It is estimated it will cost 500 million to 750 million to rebuild though some permanent areas from the previous bridge may be usable and afford a lessening of that cost. 

Some lower spots in the county again fell to below freezing this morning - while higher spots like here in East Nantmeal remained just above freezing. We should now stay above freezing for at least the next week. Not much sun today through Thursday with rain chances ramping up by late tomorrow PM.
County records for today: High 84 Coatesville (1921) / Low 11 Devault (1960) / Rain 2.03" Coatesville (1978) / Snow 4.0" Honey Brook (2013)
image.png.d42d68cb8ca389b295a016ba8bfd098c.png

52 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I see a lot of people down talking the impact on Baltimore car and truck traffic.   The bridge handles 30-40K vehicles per day of which 80% are between the 12 hours between 7A and 7P meaning 2300-2400 additional vehicles each hour on I95 and 895 during the 12-hour stretch.     It is estimated it will cost 500 million to 750 million to rebuild though some permanent areas from the previous bridge may be usable and afford a lessening of that cost. 

serious economic impact

• Sad 1

I believe Baltimore harbor has one of the main coal export depot's. Plus one of east coasts main car import area. It's definitely going to create some huge supply chain bottlenecks until it's open again. Things can be rerouted to other ports for both import/export but it's also probably going to require dockworkers from Baltimore going to other ports to help relieve increase demand.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I believe Baltimore harbor has one of the main coal export depot's. Plus one of east coasts main car import area. It's definitely going to create some huge supply chain bottlenecks until it's open again. Things can be rerouted to other ports for both import/export but it's also probably going to require dockworkers from Baltimore going to other ports to help relieve increase demand.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yes, as Sauss said the economic impact is going to felt.  Not sure how long it will take them to clear the water and then how much boat traffic can go by when the bridge building starts again.  Google Maps says that road is closed until Dec 2024 but seems likely to be much longer than that.    New Car availability in the east seems assured to be impacted. 

The first time there is a major accident on I95 or 895, it is going to be a newsworthy mess. 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I really wish I would not have watched the video. I feel sick. Horrible, horrible way to start a day. My heart aches right now. 

I know what you mean.  When I was young, I once saw a video of a terrorist sawing the neck of a hostage and it set me back even to this day.  Sometimes we do not need to see everything. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I know what you mean.  When I was young, I once saw a video of a terrorist sawing the neck of a hostage and it set me back even to this day.  Sometimes we do not need to see everything. 

A saving grace is the time of day this happened, I guess. No comfort at all to those directly impacted, but an ever greater catastrophe was averted. Dear god if this happened at 5pm. 

There are certain things that I cannot watch. I don't even want to list them. I do not have a strong stomach when it comes to human tragedies. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

A saving grace is the time of day this happened, I guess. No comfort at all to those directly impacted, but an ever greater catastrophe was averted. Dear god if this happened at 5pm. 

I thought this as soon as i learned of when it happened.  Its no silver lining whatsoever, but the human impact could have easily been in the 100's.  

not trying to start conspiracy, but that ship was well left of the green channel beacon.  Hoping no malicious intent.  Thinking of all that are or will be impacted.  

In other news....I mowed yesterday.  First and last mow report for season, but I'm "on the board"....lol

Happy Spring all.  Coulda snowmobiled in Tug Hill this past weekend but hosted family for Easter (my side), so sleds never made it north for a second year straight.

• Like 2

Just had the yard guy here and it developed into an interesting convo.  He said that our side of the mountain is the worst place to try and grow grass that he has as to his customers.   He pretty much backed our next door farmer and said that the combination of being so high with little tree shade, like a usually higher elevation area would have, along with the great valley leaves us in a drought seemingly all summer, every summer.

Also, it is not warm out at all.  LOL.  42 at 10:30 on March 26 in mostly sun.  

1 minute ago, canderson said:

That bridge route is the hazmat rout r for 95 since hazmat materials can’t land teeth the tunnels. 

It’s a real economic disaster.The Baltimore harbor being offline is a HUGE issue. 

Hopefully they can clear the wreckage (and hopefully no one else has died) fairly quickly but not sure how the harbor will be affected by the equipment building a new bridge over the next 2 years. 

36 min ago

Emergency call from ship allowed authorities to close bridge and save lives, Maryland governor says

From CNN's Andy Rose

An emergency call from the container ship gave officials time to begin closing the Francis Scott Key Bridge to vehicle traffic before the ship slammed into it, Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said on Tuesday.

“I'm thankful for the folks, once the warning came up and once notification came up that there was a mayday, who literally by being able to stop cars from coming over the bridge — these people are heroes. They saved lives last night,” Moore said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

36 min ago

Emergency call from ship allowed authorities to close bridge and save lives, Maryland governor says

From CNN's Andy Rose

An emergency call from the container ship gave officials time to begin closing the Francis Scott Key Bridge to vehicle traffic before the ship slammed into it, Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said on Tuesday.

“I'm thankful for the folks, once the warning came up and once notification came up that there was a mayday, who literally by being able to stop cars from coming over the bridge — these people are heroes. They saved lives last night,” Moore said.

That is some desperately needed encouraging news to come out of a horrible incident. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

36 min ago

From CNN's Andy Rose

You can tell they did everything they could to get the ship to stop. These ships are monsters and getting bigger. 

• Like 1