Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

20 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Albany lucked out with 5-6" at the end but ouch that 20 miles or so north never mixed and got 18".

Nice snowstorm for Upstate NY and Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Some areas receiving over 2 feet. NYC hit the freezing mark again last night. My low was 29.

40 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Nice snowstorm for Upstate NY and Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Some areas receiving over 2 feet. NYC hit the freezing mark again last night. My low was 29.

The normal last freeze in New York City is March 29th. Today or tomorrow could be the last freeze of the season if the current guidance holds up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

I haven't seen the Euro AIFS be remotely correct yet. It's all fantasy.

I don't entirely agree. How about this situation on the CMC at 120 hours which just introduced snow on its maps for nearby to our north and west. It's not fantasy that there are some colder air masses than normal dropping in from Canada which can complicate precip type issues with an ideal storm track and therefore model  runs will occasionally hit on the perfect set up. Our skill set must differentiate between genuine threats and outright mistakes in modeling.

WX/PT

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_20.png

5 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

I haven't seen the Euro AIFS be remotely correct yet. It's all fantasy.

if it continues too perform that way they have to try and fix it..........

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Wxoutlooksblog said:

I don't entirely agree. How about this situation on the CMC at 120 hours which just introduced snow its maps for nearby to our north and west. It's not fantasy that there are some colder air masses than normal dropping in from Canada which can complicate precip type issues with an ideal storm track and therefore model  runs will occasionally hit on the perfect set up. Our skill set must differentiate between genuine threats and outright mistakes in modeling.

WX/PT

With a negative NAO and MJO in 8 interiors areas have a chance. 

• Weenie 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

With a negative NAO and MJO in 8 interiors areas have a chance. 

actually its not impossible to have a surprise here if the timing is right.........

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3

10 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

I don't entirely agree. How about this situation on the CMC at 120 hours which just introduced snow on its maps for nearby to our north and west. It's not fantasy that there are some colder air masses than normal dropping in from Canada which can complicate precip type issues with an ideal storm track and therefore model  runs will occasionally hit on the perfect set up. Our skill set must differentiate between genuine threats and outright mistakes in modeling.

WX/PT

I meant the Euro has been all fantasy.

But in any event, I also believe any snow at this point along 95 should be regarded with high skepticism.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

But in any event, I also believe any snow at this point along 95 should be regarded with high skepticism.

they were saying the same thing on March 24, 1982....

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

That storm later this week should allow several stations to cross the 10” mark for the month.

Data for March 1, 2024 through March 24, 2024
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Total Precipitation 
NY ST. JAMES COOP 9.93
CT GUILFORD COOP 9.63
NY CENTERPORT COOP 9.29
CT IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL AIRPORT WBAN 9.14
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP 9.09
NY MOUNT SINAI COOP 9.03
NJ HARRISON COOP 8.82
NY JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 8.79
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 8.78
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT COOP 8.41
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 8.41
CT MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNICIPAL AP WBAN 8.40
CT NEW HAVEN TWEED AP WBAN 8.31
NY UPTON COOP - NWSFO NEW YORK COOP 8.31
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 8.24
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

It certainly can snow with the right pattern but it's not that common late in the month.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It certainly can snow with the right pattern but it's not that common late in the month.

and the right pattern is coming up Later this week into the first few days of April with a neg NAO MJO into 8 and a coastal storm later in the week and a tight gradient storm between cold enough air and warm air to the south storm moving west to east just south of us and we are in the cold sector

gem_T850a_us_36.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Just now, MJO812 said:

I think everyone checked out or doesn't realize that it still can snow into April although things need to be perfect.

some have never actually experienced getting caught with their pants down - in fact a couple well known METS did on April 6, 1982

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

17 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

some have never actually experienced getting caught with their pants down - in fact a couple well known METS did on April 6, 1982

I remember that one as a kid-it was very cold the day before but everyone was skeptical.    We had little league tryouts the night before-was frigid!    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Reports up north of 7-8 inches of snow with 3 inches of sleet…

I would love to experience that 

For the Valentines Day 2007 storm I lived in Central PA. That's exactly what it was-probably 8" of snow in 3" of sleet. 4" of snow then the sleet and 4" at the end that added up to 10-12" of absolute cement. Temps were in the teens to around 20 the whole storm. That seriously was the heaviest, densest concrete I remember falling out of the sky. It froze solid and lasted for weeks. In other parts of the state it was so disruptive that major roads/interstates shut down because it's so hard to move. I think in that storm much of this subforum had a big ice event. Much of upstate NY/NNE had 24"+ which I would've much rather experienced, but all the dense sleet made what I had probably just as disruptive. The St Patricks Day 2007 storm I was home on Long Island and remember the insane amount of sleet from that one. So that month long period I saw more sleet than any other time in my life. 

• Like 1