Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024

wdrag

7 hours ago, USCG RS said:

Thank you for all of this valuable information. It is greatly appreciated and something I will no doubt study more in depth to add to my repertoire. 

@wdrag I hope your grandchild is feeling better. Also, you mentioned something about a conference call? 

I can do a conference call sometime mutually convenient to demo these tools... just need to set it up. The set up not my skill but then I can demo live how to use these two links and also go over Pivotal wx use of posi snow depth.  We just need an event.  

Thanks - grandchild doing ok... 

Will add a couple maps of yesterdays snowfall during midday and also back to P1  thread initiation to compare to the ensemble predictions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Snow ratio time. I thought it was 15-20:1, but we actually got 22:1 - damn!  Got 11798 cc of snow melted down to just 530 cc of liquid, so the 11.25" was only 0.5" QPF.

So somehow in what has been a crappy winter for many we've overperformed on almost every storm... the 11.25" yesterday brings me to 24.5" for the season which is actually ahead of normal for this date.  It's just nuts that we're 17" ahead of CPK, just 25 miles to our NE.  I'll take it and run lol.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RU848789 said:

So somehow in what has been a crappy winter for many we've overperformed on almost every storm... the 11.25" yesterday brings me to 24.5" for the season which is actually ahead of normal for this date.  It's just nuts that we're 17" ahead of CPK, just 25 miles to our NE.  I'll take it and run lol.

I'm sure you were similarly ahead of NYC  in 1986-87

15 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Snow ratio time. I thought it was 15-20:1, but we actually got 22:1 - damn!  Got 11798 cc of snow melted down to just 530 cc of liquid, so the 11.25" was only 0.5" QPF.

Not a met, but we experience these type of events fairly frequently here in the Great Lakes. I'm guessing you were right in the fgen band. Those can produce insane rates, massive snowflakes, and you can easily attain 20-1 or better ratios even if the temperature is around freezing. We've even had a few spring snows where that will happen and the surface is so warm it only sticks on the grass and not the cement, but the actual snow itself on the grass is a fluffy ratio. Then what will happen outside of the band is much lower ratio snowfall. So it would not be uncommon at all for "place A" to be in the fgen band, have a temperature around 30°, and finish with 0.45" liquid and 10.0" snow while "place B" just 20 miles away is not in the band, has a temperature around 30°, and finishes with 0.28" liquid and 3.3" snow or something like that.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

It was a 2 week winter surrounded by frustration. Our location made the most of the those two weeks with the final storm dumping on us. Given how well our area has done can’t give this winter less then a C. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Not a met, but we experience these type of events fairly frequently here in the Great Lakes. I'm guessing you were right in the fgen band. Those can produce insane rates, massive snowflakes, and you can easily attain 20-1 or better ratios even if the temperature is around freezing. We've even had a few spring snows where that will happen and the surface is so warm it only sticks on the grass and not the cement, but the actual snow itself on the grass is a fluffy ratio. Then what will happen outside of the band is much lower ratio snowfall. So it would not be uncommon at all for "place A" to be in the fgen band, have a temperature around 30°, and finish with 0.45" liquid and 10.0" snow while "place B" just 20 miles away is not in the band, has a temperature around 30°, and finishes with 0.28" liquid and 3.3" snow or something like that.

That definitely happened here, the roads had no snow on them but everything else had thick layers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

i was in piscataway last night and yards that got sun were down to about 3"

i am 10 miles east of their and the same result here - combination of snow settling - sun melting it above freezing all day and wind - by mid week most of it will be gone except for shady areas and snow piles........

3 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

i am 10 miles east of their and the same result here - combination of snow settling - sun melting it above freezing all day and wind - by mid week most of it will be gone except for shady areas and snow piles........

Snow melts…we deal 

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

how did you get to 24.5 ?? I am only a few miles from you got 9" yesterday  bringing my total to 17".........

• Weenie 1

Verification added via NOHRSC and CoCoRaHSwith the infamous banding near I78 that dumped 6-13" from s LI beaches west to Allentown. 

DCA 0.1, BWI 2.2, PHL 2.6, ABE 5.7, NYC CP 2.0, BDL 0.7, ORH 0.5w, and BOS T.   looks to me like GEFS did best using the initial ensembles within this thread. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 10.24.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 10.24.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 10.29.43 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah that's why I put the - after the C lol

It's hard to give a winter a D when there are two snowfalls of 4 inches plus.... in the same week!

this month will end up with avg temps much above normal and snowfall above normal in some areas in NJ especially

• Like 3