Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2024 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, and Other Green Stuff Thread

mattie g

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m going to have to cut the backyard in a week.

LOL. My wife relented yesterday and mowed our front lawn...it might be our earliest ever mowing. It was definitely in need of a haircut, though, and would've been an absolute mess if we let it go 'til next weekend....with a number of days in the 70s forecasted between now and then.  ;) 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to wage a bit of a battle with wild violet. Futile I know. I just want to keep it from completely taking over the mulched plant beds. Ripping the roots out but they are dense and the rhizomes are extensive. Never ending lol. I'll give it a go to see if it makes any difference. In the end I will probably have to learn to love it, just like my dandelion farm. :yikes:

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Violets are native at least! Host plants for some butterflies as well. 

Yeah and it isn't ugly. It has become more prolific over the last couple years in certain places though. I can't maintain more than a small area of decent grass, so it is mostly a combo of moss, clover, dandelions, and now violet everywhere else. Doesn't look nice when it takes over the mulch areas though.

I just started a bunch of flower seeds for my annuals pollinator patch. Tithonia (Mexican Sunflower) which I HIGHly rec for anyone who wants to see a lot of butterflies and hummingbirds ..also zinnias (same) which I'm kinda obsessed with and started 10 types. Some cosmos. Also genovese basil, persian basil, flat parsley, dill. I may pop in some cucumbers but they usually break my heart all too soon, aaaaand I'm skipping tomatoes/other again this year.

• Like 4

I mowed early this year on Saturday, front yard wasn't quite ready but the back was a jungle. If i waited until after this weeks rains I would have been one sad feller. It's funny how you get out of yardwork shape during the winter, those first few times out are a challenge as I get older. That sure sucks to say

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 4:38 PM, Kay said:

I just started a bunch of flower seeds for my annuals pollinator patch. Tithonia (Mexican Sunflower) which I HIGHly rec for anyone who wants to see a lot of butterflies and hummingbirds ..also zinnias (same) which I'm kinda obsessed with and started 10 types. Some cosmos. Also genovese basil, persian basil, flat parsley, dill. I may pop in some cucumbers but they usually break my heart all too soon, aaaaand I'm skipping tomatoes/other again this year.

I'm looking for a batch of native flowering seeds that I can scatter over a 100 x 100 ft area. It's slightly moist, with intermittent sun. Looking to just throw them and see what grows. Any suggestions?

8 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I'm looking for a batch of native flowering seeds that I can scatter over a 100 x 100 ft area. It's slightly moist, with intermittent sun. Looking to just throw them and see what grows. Any suggestions?

Prairie Nursery and other online nurseries have seed mixes that would probably work for that. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Those are both good suggestions for seed mix sources. I grow flowering native perennials but have never tried a seed mix scatter/meadow approach over a large area. Has anyone? Let us know how it goes if you try it?

18 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

10 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Prairie Nursery and other online nurseries have seed mixes that would probably work for that. 

10 hours ago, dailylurker said:

American Meadow 

7 hours ago, Kay said:

Those are both good suggestions for seed mix sources. I grow flowering native perennials but have never tried a seed mix scatter/meadow approach over a large area. Has anyone? Let us know how it goes if you try it?

I have a 20x15 spot I'd like to try something like this, partial shade though..... same seed types?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

I have a 20x15 spot I'd like to try something like this, partial shade though..... same seed types?

Those nurseries usually specify sun or shade and soil type mixes

Seems the past 4-5years, a ninja cold snap would ruin the emerging flower buds on our pink dogwood resulting in no, or just a few blossoms. This year our luck changed. I'm thinking there was likely at least one cold morning in late March while we were traveling, as the bottom 1/8th of the dogwood hasn't flowered much but the rest of the crown looks pretty good right now.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ac821f5658eb4d5641822a173dae7c6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1195b6cbf38b68100e7159f8a5157a90.jpeg

• Like 7

On 4/16/2024 at 1:19 PM, Eskimo Joe said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no late freeze this year.

Depends where you are. The USDA screwed up big time moving the Shen Valley to a warmer zone it appears. Dont get me wrong I would love to have an extra 2-3 weeks of growing season. But a lot of people are about to lose their gardens this week. 

• Like 3

On 3/31/2024 at 4:38 PM, Kay said:

I want to add both to my garden this year.  My mom had some last year and her garden looked like one of those butterfly exhibits!