• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Triple? It’s a 5 prong .. cabled up near the tops. We good . I do hope it or some of the others you see down the street there topple onto the power lines at some point though. 

LqGTL8C.jpeg

Wow, 5-dong prong. Haven't seen that before.

I have a massive one that Ys out near the base. Thinking about getting that trimmed a bit and cabled too. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Triple? It’s a 5 prong .. cabled up near the tops. We good . I do hope it or some of the others you see down the street there topple onto the power lines at some point though. 

LqGTL8C.jpeg

Amazing you have that many left. I thought you got pretty smoked by the gypsy moths? They like the mature trees.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Shhh don't wake the wolf.

Ha, call it the “2000s Warm Period” or whatever so as not to trigger anyone but I’m fully on board with Tip’s idea of these exotic spring warm bursts, especially in NNE.

Every year now it feels like we are popping some high-end temperatures that are top 5 for their month’s.  It feels like the last 10 years or so, each month of Feb, Mar, Apr, or May have had some monster warmth.  Whether it’s like 95F+ at 750-1500ft SLK/BML/HIE/MVL in May, or 80+ in March… last year it was April that got the record torch.

It doesn’t feel like we do it in mid-summer or even autumn to winter.  But spring time or during the time of increasing solar, at some point the atmosphere likes to maximize the physical limitations of the boundary layer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, call it the “2000s Warm Period” or whatever so as not to trigger anyone but I’m fully on board with Tip’s idea of these exotic spring warm bursts, especially in NNE.

Every year now it feels like we are popping some high-end temperatures that are top 5 for their month’s.  It feels like the last 10 years or so, each month of Feb, Mar, Apr, or May have had some monster warmth.  Whether it’s like 95F+ at 750-1500ft SLK/BML/HIE/MVL in May, or 80+ in March… last year it was April that got the record torch.

It doesn’t feel like we do it in mid-summer or even autumn to winter.  But spring time or during the time of increasing solar, at some point the atmosphere likes to maximize the physical limitations of the boundary layer.

We definitely are in an anomaly compared to other parts of the country with those events. But, the background warming signal makes this much easier.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Yeah they're not strong. Took down this double ash tree today. Let go a little quicker than anticipated.

20240227_132832.jpg

Procrastinating cutting a triple maple on the edge of my yard for that reason. Gotta cut em individually even if it's awkwardly high. That one dead from the ash borer?

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We definitely are in an anomaly compared to other parts of the country with those events. But, the background warming signal makes this much easier.

The interesting part to me is that it doesn’t seem spread evenly through the year… it’s very much a thing of like Feb-May lately.  Maybe less snow cover across N.AM or drier air somewhere… there has to be a background reason for some of this, aside from a few tenths of CC warming.

Or something in the circulation is allowing air masses that used to stop in the mid-Atlantic are now blasting through NNE much easier.

55.4° for the high today with a low of 24.7° this morning - beautiful! Sat in a folding beach chair and enjoyed the world's most dried out cigar in my sweatpants and slippers because I'm full of class.

Don't worry - the real outdoor furniture will soon make an appearance and the irresponsible humidor practices will be corrected.

20240227_162515.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

55.4° for the high today with a low of 24.7° this morning - beautiful! Sat in a folding beach chair and enjoyed the world's most dried out cigar in my sweatpants and slippers because I'm full of class.

Don't worry - the real outdoor furniture will soon make an appearance and the irresponsible humidor practices will be corrected.

20240227_162515.jpg

Walking the dog right now in just a long sleeve shirt.  Warm breeze.

57F at MVL at 4:45pm.  Climo for the first week of May.

IMG_8379.thumb.jpeg.1db9fc9bbc1dfb084644e0cab41cb422.jpeg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The interesting part to me is that it doesn’t seem spread evenly through the year… it’s very much a thing of like Feb-May lately.  Maybe less snow cover across N.AM or drier air somewhere… there has to be a background reason for some of this, aside from a few tenths of CC warming.

Or something in the circulation is allowing air masses that used to stop in the mid-Atlantic are now blasting through NNE much easier.

I think some of the records from the nrn Plains to NE US during this time might be related to what you said. But the nrn Plains overall have been chilly since 2000. However,  the years with low snowpack (like 2010, 2012, 2016, and now) are crushing the highs. 

Anyways, it's important to keep some perspective too. The NE has rapidly warmed from their normal departures way faster than other areas. My guess is that we see that try to even out over the next decade or so. 

12 minutes ago, Sled said:

Procrastinating cutting a triple maple on the edge of my yard for that reason. Gotta cut em individually even if it's awkwardly high. That one dead from the ash borer?

Yes you do. The only reason I cut it like that was I wanted both pieces to come down on a stuck tree in front of it. Usually I always cut them individually. Yep emerald ash borer. Only have a few trees left.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think some of the records from the nrn Plains to NE US during this time might be related to what you said. But the nrn Plains overall have been chilly since 2000. However,  the years with low snowpack (like 2010, 2012, 2016, and now) are crushing the highs. 

Anyways, it's important to keep some perspective too. The NE has rapidly warmed from their normal departures way faster than other areas. My guess is that we see that try to even out over the next decade or so. 

Yeah absolutely.  Thats why I keep thinking there has to be some background atmospheric circulation pattern that isn’t directly related to just a warming world.  And at some point it needs to or will shake up to get us out of this “warm eddy” or whatever. 

33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wow, 5-dong prong. Haven't seen that before.

I have a massive one that Ys out near the base. Thinking about getting that trimmed a bit and cabled too. 

It’s a beast. I know you saw these in texts but I had a huge white pine on one side and a massive 120 yr old Oak on other side taken down earlier this month before the snow.Stump grinder is coming next week.  Lawn was ruined but will all be redone this spring .. I asked the tree guys about the 5 prong and they all said those are very rare and have not see many . They inspected the cables and said if it were ever to come down more than likely only one would break off . He told me those things were here in 38 and 55 canes and will likely last another 30-40 years unless kXk6lxE.jpegT7KxLcf.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Yes you do. The only reason I cut it like that was I wanted both pieces to come down on a stuck tree in front of it. Usually I always cut them individually. Yep emerald ash borer. Only have a few trees left.

RIP. Some of my best morel spots were around ashes. I've got a few hundred board feet milled and a few 3' logs left. Ash will be in short supply in just a few years, sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s a beast. I know you saw these in texts but I had a huge white pine on one side and a massive 120 yr old Oak on other side taken down earlier this month before the snow.Stump grinder is coming next week.  Lawn was ruined but will all be redone this spring .. I asked the tree guys about the 5 prong and they all said those are very rare and have not see many . They inspected the cables and said if it were ever to come down more than likely only one would break off . He told me those things were here in 38 and 55 canes and will likely last another 30-40 years unless kXk6lxE.jpegT7KxLcf.jpeg

Was it a white or red oak? Where did the log go?

2 hours ago, Sled said:

Plenty of oaks left here. Seemed to me like certain parts of town for hit a lot harder than others. I drove on the mass pike at some point whenever that was and it was slaughter there compared to where I'm at.

24 South after you get on from 495 was pretty much  destroyed.

• Sad 1