• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

49 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

GW is definitely real and anthropogenic to some degree, but the thing is the majority of it manifests nocturnaly during the cold season. Yes, it is absolutely causing more frequent positive departures during the day, but it's often resulting in situations in which we register large mean monthly anomalies despite a relative to dearth of really warm daytime hours. January 2021 was another great example. 

Same thing in the summer, Ray.  A lot of it has to do with more moisture in the air and more rainfall, which keeps overnight lows higher.  The worst possible combo for me, in the summer I want dry and hot during the day and lower temps at night.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

I think we're just going to let this get so bad that we're forced to start large scale climate engineering and that's when the real clown show starts. Hopefully I'm wrong.

They’ll be panic measures …rushed out of necessity because like what’s happening in the last year and a half showed us fools, this shit show can go through accelerations that nobody thought were believable.  

Maybe it’ll work, but it would be a race. And as resources become abruptly scarce because of proverbial firewall events …too difficult and expensive …crops fail on macro scales, food shortages, death in heat waves that exceed projections …runs on banks, social structures destabilize ultimately become untethered and untenable, social order finally dissolves. Book of Eli

finally, we understand why for the Fermian Paradox 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

I think we're just going to let this get so bad that we're forced to start large scale climate engineering and that's when the real clown show starts. Hopefully I'm wrong.

SO2 balloons have already been launched, still in the testing phase, but expect this to be deployed every year starting around 2024.

It's not a good thing but it is what it is.

Sucks for us stargazers too, because it will make the skies more hazy and add to the light pollution issues (which also impact health and the environment) which we already have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

SO2 balloons have already been launched, still in the testing phase, but expect this to be deployed every year starting around 2024.

Sucks for us stargazers too, because it will make the skies more hazy and add to the light pollution issues (which also impact health and the environment) which we already have.

Yup, Sulfur Dioxide seems like the first go to, with multiple ways to deploy it. Maybe Tambora or Krakatoa will let off a big one to give us a little help.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

And then we have a real volcanic eruption …I don’t know … ME6 or 7, having successfully cooled the planet already by a degree and a half when it happens…

- If they’re already launching balloons then we’re already doing panic solutions

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Same thing in the summer, Ray.  A lot of it has to do with more moisture in the air and more rainfall, which keeps overnight lows higher.  The worst possible combo for me, in the summer I want dry and hot during the day and lower temps at night.

Yeah, super first world problem I had was with humidity this past summer. No AC at my place, and the damp chaser system on my grand piano is busted. Not only did the piano end up going wildly out of tune, the key slip swelled up so bad that keys began jamming and it became unplayable. Didn't feel like doing anything about it over the summer but it has since gone back in tune (for the most part) and the keys aren't jamming against the slip anymore. 

• Like 1

And by the way… Elevated storage of atmospheric water vapor is the first thing the most primitive climate models began predicting, and that prediction has only gotten more excessive over the sophistication of the science/decades.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Unfortunately Flora and fauna don't care about perception. It's very real.

One of my rather childish ambitions (and there are many) is to plant some more, let's say, unusual specimens in the yard. I'd really like to see if a Tulip Tree could grow - I've never seen one in New England but I know they're around. I'd also like to see how well a Douglas Fir would do.

My parents planted some kind of Magnolia in Pepperell, MA and it would blossom beautifully every spring, but I think the poor thing only managed to grow from about 3ft to 5ft in 15 years.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And then we have a real volcanic eruption …I don’t know … ME6 or 7, having successfully cooled the planet already by a degree and a half when it happens…

- If they’re already launching balloons then we’re already doing panic solutions

The real excitement will start when we decide that attempting to induce eruptions is a good idea. Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai? Oh my poor dear, you have chest congestion and a sore throat. Take this lozenge in the form a low yield nuclear weapon. That will clear you right up.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Yeah, super first world problem I had was with humidity this past summer. No AC at my place, and the damp chaser system on my grand piano is busted. Not only did the piano end up going wildly out of tune, the key slip swelled up so bad that keys began jamming and it became unplayable. Didn't feel like doing anything about it over the summer but it has since gone back in tune (for the most part) and the keys aren't jamming against the slip anymore. 

I love pianos but never owned a grand piano, it sounds like a lot to maintain lol.  I love their sound though.  I have an electronic piano and I download different kinds of piano sampling sounds onto it and I always pick a sampling of grand pianos because their sounds have the deepest most genuine timbre.

44 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yes and none of this should be necessary, because we knew this was happening even back in the 80s (and some probably knew of this even before then), action should have been taken to curb emissions much sooner.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

They’ll be panic measures …rushed out of necessity because like what’s happening in the last year and a half showed us fools, this shit show can go through accelerations that nobody thought were believable.  

Maybe it’ll work, but it would be a race. And as resources become abruptly scarce because of proverbial firewall events …too difficult and expensive …crops fail on macro scales, food shortages, death in heat waves that exceed projections …runs on banks, social structures destabilize ultimately become untethered and untenable, social order finally dissolves. Book of Eli

Indeed, I've been talking about the Fermi Paradox for years in these terms.  Highly technological civilizations are fragile in the sense that what brought them great success is the same thing as what can be their great downfall.

13 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I don't see any signs of this really breaking down once it forms until March 10th or so. should be a solid 3-4 weeks

Interesting, since November we have yet to see any pattern lock in but this is going to be the one that locks in for a solid 28+ days 

• Weenie 1

00z GFS nightly clown map for the weenies (myself included). Nearly all accumulation south of the White Mountains is from a storm that impacts New England at around hour 280. If nothing else, hopefully this helps lend credence to the idea that we will be entering a favorable pattern mid-month.
1274659989_00zGFSKuchera02.thumb.png.f61af49a2f74de497af9540faaa1313c.png
Which is why I love the 24hr Kuchie in situations with more than one event, gonna be fun when the former king comes in range on the 4th526856486e12222bd2e61d7e4b6430b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

• Weenie 1

9 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Western Maine, and northern Maine is a fabulous place to sled….if you’re big into sledding, it’s top notch. 

I guess I just can't even imagine needing a guide on such a simple trail system in an area like ME, NH or VT. Maps are great and it's impossible to get lost really. We'll never ride NH ever again because of bad experiences in the past.  Really irritating to be stopped and checked every other town by law enforcement.  Maybe it's changed, but not worth it for us to find out 

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think this summer is going to be brutal for a lot of people and I predict one of the most damaging hurricane seasons ever. The MDR is cooking right now and we might shift to Cool ENSO by the summer. 

A deadly combination 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Love that area. We used to stay at Inn by the River, but got sick of the LONG drive. Also, I prefer the VT trail system better.  Maine gets boring, all the trails look the same

Yeah it's a hike. Never used to trailer up there easier to rent.

7 hours ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

I mean aren’t we already doing that? Green hydrogen, carbon capture and underground storage, switching to renewables, etc. 

No none of them are at scale because no one wants to pay for them. 

Two problems exist:

1. Whole economies are dependent on fossil fuels. 
2. The Paris Agreement was signed with the ambitious goal of 1.5C…. Well guess what… as Tip mentioned, the planet is basically telling us we’re already there.

So while today’s solutions aren’t the extremes you are thinking of, large scale climate engineering is all happening, it’s just not happening fast enough.

So I suppose in the end you Re correct, we’ll probably drop a nuke into Krakatoa. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I mean aren’t we already doing that? Green hydrogen, carbon capture and underground storage, switching to renewables, etc. 

No none of them are at scale because no one wants to pay for them. 

Two problems exist:

1. Whole economies are dependent on fossil fuels. 
2. The Paris Agreement was signed with the ambitious goal of 1.5C…. Well guess what… as Tip mentioned, the planet is basically telling us we’re already there.

So while today’s solutions aren’t the extremes you are thinking of, large scale climate engineering is all happening, it’s just not happening fast enough.

So I suppose in the end you Re correct, we’ll probably drop a nuke into Krakatoa. 

Atmospheric seeding to reflect sunlight is the latest buzz I keep hearing. Watch them actually try it and 10 years later everyone's complaining it's too cold...