Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
XMAS Miracle: Blizzard of 2010 Lead-in Dialogue

40/70 Benchmark

Enjoy.

I think it's going to start just late enought that my in-laws still drive out here and then get snowed in. God help me.

LOL..nothing worse than having out of towners in the house when you're about to enjoy a huge winter storm..It takes away from the fun and tracking.

Recommened to them they should probably hold off and come next weekend due to weather..Show some concern for their safety. That's what I would do

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL..nothing worse than having out of towners in the house when you're about to enjoy a huge winter storm..It takes away from the fun and tracking.

Recommened to them they should probably hold off and come next weekend due to weather..Show some concern for their safety. That's what I would do

They live in coatal ME and are visting their son's family in Marblehead. I keep saying--go back to ME, you'll never get into your driveway if you don't. It's going to be hell. 80-year old farts FTL.

Looks like things stabilized overnight. Some screwy things are gonna happen late tonight and tomorrow. BOS is right on the line here. That small area of enhanced qpf is likely due to some mesoscale feature like CF or something. Only problem is that there might be a small scale subsidence zone behind it.

Looks like things stabilized overnight. Some screwy things are gonna happen late tonight and tomorrow. BOS is right on the line here. That small area of enhanced qpf is likely due to some mesoscale feature like CF or something. Only problem is that there might be a small scale subsidence zone behind it.

If you can hit up Wills pattern change thread

Scott (or others), aside from the coastal front, what features determine/contribute to banding?

Is it snowing yet in Dot?

Scott (or others), aside from the coastal front, what features determine/contribute to banding?

Mid level moisture, frontogenesis, and deformation. This area will move up from NYC and really hit you guys hard. Then, there will be probably be a qpf "min" to the east, and a secondary max closer to eastern mass. When I have a second, I'll show you an example. Frontogenesis/deformation act to tighten up the thermal gradient in the mid levels, and the atmosphere responds with a circulation in the vertical with rising air on the warmer side of the gradient..sinking air on the cooler side of the gradient. This is the so called "death band" that people talk about...the 30-50 mile band of enhanced reflectivity.

Mid level moisture, frontogenesis, and deformation. This area will move up from NYC and really hit you guys hard. Then, there will be probably be a qpf "min" to the east, and a secondary max closer to eastern mass. When I have a second, I'll show you an example. Frontogenesis/deformation act to tighten up the thermal gradient in the mid levels, and the atmosphere responds with a circulation in the vertical with rising air on the warmer side of the gradient..sinking air on the cooler side of the gradient. This is the so called "death band" that people talk about...the 30-50 mile band of enhanced reflectivity.

Thanks, Scott.

Man low level critical thicknesses remain snow for BOS. Maybe dryslot issues, but there could be an intense low level convergence band nearby. Kind of a tough forecast for Logan.

The other thing is that we'll have tremendous height falls tomorrow morning. The mid level lows are gonna tear sne a new one. Euro argues dryslot may get to CT valley, but then precip explodes east as H5 low bombs. Wow.

What's the best way to take snow measurements when it's being blown?

Find an area that is least prone to drifting, if you can. Take multiple measurements to try and get a ball park idea. Obviously, you want to avoid any bare spots or drifts, but give it your best judgement.

This is the type of storm that will have an 8 inch difference in the same town because of the blowing and drifting..lol.

The areal coverage of winter storm warnings and blizzard warnings is amazing. ... all of New england except for NW Vermont.

That is incredible and the counties included have been expanded further north & west which is a good sign for us here. When I went to bed last night, we were on the periphery but now we're firmly ensconced.

It's not often that almost all New Englanders will get to share in the fun.

Man low level critical thicknesses remain snow for BOS. Maybe dryslot issues, but there could be an intense low level convergence band nearby. Kind of a tough forecast for Logan.

The other thing is that we'll have tremendous height falls tomorrow morning. The mid level lows are gonna tear sne a new one. Euro argues dryslot may get to CT valley, but then precip explodes east as H5 low bombs. Wow.

Sounds like fun for eastern areas!

Find an area that is least prone to drifting, if you can. Take multiple measurements to try and get a ball park idea. Obviously, you want to avoid any bare spots or drifts, but give it your best judgement.

This is the type of storm that will have an 8 inch difference in the same town because of the blowing and drifting..lol.

Therein lies the problem!

Archived