Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Gfs is more amplified with the SW: good. But it comes across further north. Bad.  It doesn’t matter how amplified it is if it tracks to our north. We need more amplified AND south. 

We're close. I don't hate where we are at this juncture. Let's snow the next 2 days and whip this one into shape. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

We're close. I don't hate where we are at this juncture. Let's snow the next 2 days and whip this one into shape. 

I’m not out. Still interested. But I don’t like going into the last 100 hours needing a south trend on a NS SW. that’s not usually a good spot. But this is the kind of situation it could happen. We might actually want to root for a more suppressive flow. Yea it will minimize the potential some but if rather had a 3-6” snow than 1-2 and NYC gets 20”!  The more amplified solutions might also be the further north ones. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m not out. Still interested. But I don’t like going into the last 100 hours needing a south trend on a NS SW. that’s not usually a good spot. But this is the kind of situation it could happen. We might actually want to root for a more suppressive flow. Yea it will minimize the potential some but if rather had a 3-6” snow than 1-2 and NYC gets 20”!  The more amplified solutions might also be the further north ones. 

So now the suppressive tpv we've had is finally shoving off...but as a result more amped and north? Of course, lol Maybe there could be some suppressive flow left over...

16 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So now the suppressive tpv we've had is finally shoving off...but as a result more amped and north? Of course, lol Maybe there could be some suppressive flow left over...

The tpv never fully gets to 50/50 until late and by then the block is retrograding too much. For this setup it’s still a little west as the NS wave crashes the west so it guarantees it dives in and we need phasing. It’s kinda bad luck we don’t get a stronger stj wave!  But if we need to go it with a NS wave it takes more suppression to force that under us that a STJ wave. Different setups require different things. 

• Thanks 1

Beggars can't be choosers. I'm glad we should finally have a wintry week. Snow showers today. Possible light, steady snow Monday night/Tuesday(maybe first inch in years), another possible threat Friday. Very cold all week. It does look like it gets mild the following week, I'm not sure how long that's expected to last, but I'll enjoy whatever presents itself this week. 

• Like 2

Beggars can't be choosers. I'm glad we should finally have a wintry week. Snow showers today. Possible light, steady snow Monday night/Tuesday(maybe first inch in years), another possible threat Friday. Very cold all week. It does look like it gets mild the following week, I'm not sure how long that's expected to last, but I'll enjoy whatever presents itself this week. 

I think it’s very short lived. Reloading should happen rapidly like Bob alluded to.

• Like 2

The tpv never fully gets to 50/50 until late and by then the block is retrograding too much. For this setup it’s still a little west as the NS wave crashes the west so it guarantees it dives in and we need phasing. It’s kinda bad luck we don’t get a stronger stj wave!  But if we need to go it with a NS wave it takes more suppression to force that under us that a STJ wave. Different setups require different things. 

Shame too because the #1 analog on cansips yesterday was blizzard of 96 lol. The setup is there it’s just some things are slightly misplaced here and there for a full phase monster. Not going to get that barring a miracle, but we can certainly do well. Wish i had the means to get to Nova Scotia for this one lol

.I bet if you took the GFS run and just shifted the entire planets H5 pattern west a little bet we’d get a blizzard of 96-like solution ha
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

so there are some changes at h5 (slightly less diggy out west, TPV kinda pressing a bit more)..but I'm not sure I can call it yet

TPV press could keep it under us at least. We need two kinds contradictory things.  More amped but also a further south track of the SW.  For now south is more important imo. We can get it juiced up a bit later. But if we go into the home stretch with the NS SW too far north it’s probably game over.   

• Like 2

Well it seems south but…WAY weaker lol. I was thinking slightly weaker not totally squashed.  But I’d still prefer this than amped north of us. We’ve seen things amp up some at the end. We almost never see a NS wave trend south at the very end. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

TPV press could keep it under us at least. We need two kinds contradictory things.  More amped but also a further south track of the SW.  For now south is more important imo. We can get it juiced up a bit later. But if we go into the home stretch with the NS SW too far north it’s probably game over.   

It's a slightly wetter run so far from dc up to you...but it's not gonna do what we want

Should have posted this earlier, but the ECMWF ML FuXi model ("Foo-chi") is pretty optimistic for the Friday system as well. All totaled, at least ~10mm total, perhaps more since we don't really see the full resolution. That's like 0.4"-ish. Not bad. 

It should be noted that the FuXi was consistent in having 0.15-0.30" with the Mon-Tue system, which appears pretty reasonable now.

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/fuxi_medium-mslp-rain?base_time=202401140000&interval=12&projection=opencharts_north_america&valid_time=202401150000

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic