• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

1 minute ago, Baum said:

obv looking for a laugh, but heck it could be cloudy  and 35 like the last 30 days. And of course, if this is your hobby my assertion is correct.

You're right, we're definitely all a little neurodivergent in here 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

I think you have to be to thoroughly (obsessively) enjoy weather like we do

For real. I was playing Storm Chaser on the playground in first grade with my friends... Idk when I started caring about winter weather too but now it's honestly my favorite. Can't really justify chasing quite yet after I got myself hit last year so this is all I've got. It had better fucking snow tomorrow.

47 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Fr I like your call of 8ish but this is so silly again, I was hoping for a slam dunk kind of situation just once. Oh well, unless things go super north and warm after all I think we're in a better spot than the majority of posters here sooo

I feel good, not great about my 8” call. Lots of paths for underperformance but also a similar number of paths for a double digiter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

For real. I was playing Storm Chaser on the playground in first grade with my friends... Idk when I started caring about winter weather too but now it's honestly my favorite. Can't really justify chasing quite yet after I got myself hit last year so this is all I've got. It had better fucking snow tomorrow.

stared at snow in the lights for hours as a kid. Best Christmas gift at 5 was a weather radio. checked out every tornado/hurricane book in the library in grade school-at once. They came looking for me. By college I was calling and talking to skilling about every incoming storm. Dude, took about every call. By early adulthood I despised the late great Jerry Taft and his 1-3" storm calls....than the internet came and I discovered this chaotic lunacy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Baum said:

stared at snow in the lights for hours as a kid. Best Christmas gift at 5 was a weather radio. checked out every tornado/hurricane book in the library in grade school-at once. They came looking for me. By college I was calling and talking to skilling about every incoming storm. Dude, took about every call. By early adulthood I despised the late great Jerry Taft and his 1-3" storm calls....than the internet came and I discovered this chaotic lunacy.

I remember putting spotter reports into ILX via AOL Instant Messenger, lol. Grew up watching twister, and discovered the joy of the message board shortly before GHD1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baum said:

Those must be some good memories to have of talking to Skilling personally. Sounds like he's a great guy. I feel like I certainly missed out on the heyday of weather fanaticism but at least I'm here now even if things are a lot quieter than they were. 

14 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I was 4 when my grandma had the weather channel on and they had the live coverage of the Moore F5 from 5/3/99. Been hooked since.

For the DTW area I’m concerned if enough accumulation happens those winds are gonna do a number on our trees. So many around here have stress fractures from last years storms.

• Like 1

Only call for FWA: Flakeage mixed with rain at onset, .75” of rain through the day. 2.1” of backwash snow with intermittent white out conditions. IWXwx will be asleep during the best part of the storm Friday night, waking up to a frozen tundra. 

I was 4 when my grandma had the weather channel on and they had the live coverage of the Moore F5 from 5/3/99. Been hooked since.
For the DTW area I’m concerned if enough accumulation happens those winds are gonna do a number on our trees. So many around here have stress fractures from last years storms.

Love hearing how everyone got into weather. As early as I can remember, every time there was a thunderstorm my dad would grab me and we would sit at the western window together eating sour cream & cheddar ruffles chips watching the lightning. First major event I recall watching was the hurricane Andrew coverage on TWC when I was 7. Got a 13” Sharp TV with my christmas money the next year and had TWC on every single night as I went to sleep til high school. Obviously Twister made a big impact when it came out too, but Warren Faidley’s book Storm Chaser was even more impactful; I must’ve read it 1000 times as a kid.

Anyway, sitting in Humboldt Park where the rain/snow line is expected to be tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed for a colder trend somehow.

• Like 3