• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Winter Storm

I see so many people canceling this storm for the Philly burbs even into the Lehigh Valley, presumably because of that one warm Euro run last night. The Euro got colder at 6z and the only other model torching is the GFS, which is absolutely terrible at handling thermals. I’m still seeing a pretty snowy event even down to northern Bucks and Montgomery counties. The front end thump in these events often overperforms and dynamic cooling keeps things cooler. Will N&W areas mix? Maybe, but it probably won’t happen until the bulk of the precip exits.

if you’re in or near Philly, then yes, there’s reason to be pessimistic. But I’m just not feeling like that for more northern areas.

39 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

I see so many people canceling this storm for the Philly burbs even into the Lehigh Valley, presumably because of that one warm Euro run last night. The Euro got colder at 6z and the only other model torching is the GFS, which is absolutely terrible at handling thermals. I’m still seeing a pretty snowy event even down to northern Bucks and Montgomery counties. The front end thump in these events often overperforms and dynamic cooling keeps things cooler. Will N&W areas mix? Maybe, but it probably won’t happen until the bulk of the precip exits.

if you’re in or near Philly, then yes, there’s reason to be pessimistic. But I’m just not feeling like that for more northern areas.

12z NAM is running right now (and we are coming into its range).  Will have to see how it depicts any dynamics (since it is a convective model).

NAM a nice thump in LV

^That time for the gif I posted, yes you could argue it's already after the initial thump which it is. But we have that 2nd vort swinging through now on guidance and it would sure be nice for the mid-levels to still be cold enough when that happens to snow an additional inch or two on that passage. That second vort attempts to wrap up and bring in some cold air on the backside, but there's so much energy crashing into the west coast reducing any chance for amplification. It's a New England special, and an interior one at that

• Thanks 1

These are the systems in Januarys past with a track like that it would be just cold enough to give us our 3-5", 4-6" inchers. Now they're just warm enough to give us a front end thump (IF the "colder" solutions verify).

Just hoping to cover the grass before any changeover. Is that asking too much in early Jan??

19 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Hi-res NAM (last) hour 60 frame (coast scraping).

floop-12z-nam4km-2024010412.ref1km_ptype.us_ne-0`1042024.gif

Interesting frame with snow over the city and rain to the NW, suggesting if rates are heavy enough it can still be just cold enough. (Of course, it could just be one of those NAM things.)

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Next one is 99.8% rain. 3 flakes at the start.

The warm bodies of water just keep delivering!  I am wondering if this pattern though we are in is anything like the winter of 1983???

Warm water bodies damed if you have them damed if you don't!

Without the warm water you don't get the necessary gradient for big storms to develop and feed off of to give us the Big Dog!

With warmer water and weak storms without proper blocking we are done!

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Hi-res NAM (last) hour 60 frame (coast scraping).

floop-12z-nam4km-2024010412.ref1km_ptype.us_ne-0`1042024.gif

This time of year that should be snow the obvious problems:

1. High up north not cold enough and too weak 

2. No blocking 

3. Warm ocean

4. Weaker storm less dynamical

5. Too close to the coast

6. Air mass in front polar pacific air and marine air off the Atlantic 

As you see our problems are many.

59 minutes ago, Newman said:

GFS just did exactly what I was talking about with that follow up vort, just a little too far east. The CCB gets cranking

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_13.thumb.png.2bf8d099387d7fb9c483285c09343a1a.png

This is a result of lack of confluence and blocking up north and our reality.

We needed that 984 to be 80 miles or better to the east of Ocean City Maryland.

This would have worked but our block / confluence to the north and the high to the north did not allow for development of our low further south and the storm is allowed to just scat out without the cold locking in or reinforcing.  This is a progressive look which is what we are stuck in unfortunately. 

At least our weather will not be boring get ready for roller coaster temps, snow to rain etc. 

3 hours ago, JTA66 said:

These are the systems in Januarys past with a track like that it would be just cold enough to give us our 3-5", 4-6" inchers. Now they're just warm enough to give us a front end thump (IF the "colder" solutions verify).

Just hoping to cover the grass before any changeover. Is that asking too much in early Jan??

Think back on that for the first half of January this area struggles this time of the year getting SECS and MECS it takes a very strong arctic high typically and we don't have that.