Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This has about the same upside as the 17th, in my opinion. Look at where the mean on a lot of these ensembles are, that should tell you all you need to know.

This thread is quite because I think people are sick of tracking 1-3” glancing failures.

Nonsense. Absolutely has a higher ceiling than Tuesday. However, I agree that we need to see a big move soon.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Lol…has that thing ever gotten anything correct? WTF? 

It nailed the last event where inland areas got buried, but typically it has a SE bias. It’s usually not correct, but a good rule of thumb is when the Navy is more amped than other guidance, it’s a big red flag. It’s basically the opposite of the Canadian (amped bias).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Come on man. We can only go off what it shows right now. It being 5 days out isn’t a scientific reason it’s going to improve.

And it isn’t a scientific reason it wont improve either man.  If one thing is off at 5-6 days out, it can have huge implications down the line at this lead time. All the parameters aren’t being modeled absolutely correct at this lead time. That’s the only point.  

Maybe it never improves…but it wouldn’t surprise me if it did, especially at this advanced lead time.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Come on man. We can only go off what it shows right now. It being 5 days out isn’t a scientific reason it’s going to improve.

You aren’t wrong, but the margin of error is fairly large (around 200 miles 5 days out IIRC). If there is large scale agreement that the storm is headed towards Bermuda, that’s outside the margin of error and therefore it makes sense to say we arent getting shit. However, this storm is fairly close. It’s about 100 miles SE of where I’d like it to be, but you and I both are in a good spot for these types of storms. I’d be more worried if I was west and inland for this setup.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, George001 said:

You aren’t wrong, but the margin of error is fairly large (around 200 miles 5 days out IIRC). If there is large scale agreement that the storm is headed towards Bermuda, that’s outside the margin of error and therefore it makes sense to say we arent getting shit. However, this storm is fairly close. It’s about 100 miles SE of where I’d like it to be, but you and I both are in a good spot for these types of storms. I’d be more worried if I was west and inland for this setup.

No, He is wrong. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, George001 said:

Going to need to see a move in the next few runs here.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, I’m the unhinged one, for sure. :lol:

When you’re calling for a nonevent at a week out…that’s pretty unhinged in the weather world.  Don’t look at the GFS Brett, it just trended a lot better for the system 24 hrs from now…. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m not saying it can’t come back to something decent but it looks like we will waste another high end potential pattern with a low impact event. 

Proof positive that high end events don’t grow on trees. Lots of things need to come together just right…and that isn’t all that common.  

Many got spoiled, and now are having a tough time with things…

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Exactly my point…so when the ingredients are there and we miss, it sucks more than usual. 

Ya it does…but we haven’t missed anything yet. 6 days from now we’ll be able to say we missed. Or….

I’ll gladly take a moderate event on the 20th. Sure the pattern and pieces would indicate something more, but as we said they’re tougher to come by. But for me, any snow is good snow. So bring the moderate event…And we add to the totals. 

We obviously want to get a touchdown on the board, not a FG. Let's finish the drive on Tuesday by getting on the board, get the ball back with cold in the wake of that one, and try to get in the end zone with something good Friday. I'm not even really paying attention to Friday yet (not saying others need to be like me) given how much guidance has struggled and how close the pattern looks. 

17 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

We obviously want to get a touchdown on the board, not a FG. Let's finish the drive on Tuesday by getting on the board, get the ball back with cold in the wake of that one, and try to get in the end zone with something good Friday. I'm not even really paying attention to Friday yet (not saying others need to be like me) given how much guidance has struggled and how close the pattern looks. 

Nice post. I Agree.  

42 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m not saying it can’t come back to something decent but it looks like we will waste another high end potential pattern with a low impact event. That’s the tougher pill to take. It’s not just a missed opportunity but a missed high end one. 

A miss, Is a miss, No matter what the ceiling is, And right now, Were running out of get out of jail free cards as were hitting mid January, That is the benchmark to gauge a climo avg winter.