Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh, I said that backward... let me fix that.

The thermal wind vector increases, the velocity of the geostrophic wind increases, and that Coriolis parameter can no longer force the flow to curve in time - the centrifugal ( g-force) over comes the curvature imposition of the Coriolis effect.  That's what opens the flow - fuck.  I correct that.  The Coriolis parameter has time in the function... here, I just grabbed this right quick off of Wiki'

f=2\Omega \sin \varphi .\,

The rotation rate of the Earth (Ω = 7.2921 × 10−5 rad/s) can be calculated as 2π / T radians per second, where T is the rotation period of the Earth which is one sidereal day (23 h 56 min 4.1 s).[2] In the midlatitudes, the typical value for ff is about 10−4 rad/s. Inertial oscillations on the surface of the Earth have this frequency. These oscillations are the result of the Coriolis effect.

anyway, it's simple - lower the god damn gradient so the Coriolis can curve the flow.

Trust me, I didn't notice lol...basically what I was getting at was lower se heights and the velocity decreases. A more stout PNA rice should accomplish that.

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

# 10 isn't bad, either.

See - without even looking at this product, 1978 is in there.  I'm tellin you guys -

big big dawg is being poked.  Not sure we can wake it up in time.

With all this speed shearing and forcing this thing to open ... It's offsetting the time it needs to "couple" to the planetary curvature/Coriolis ( that's really what it is...).  

The dy/dt is the N-->S component velocity of the SPV piece.   The dx/dt is the W-->E component of the S/stream S/W.  

When the ratio of these two are compared to the time constraint of the Coriolis parameter, ...I bet you dimes to donuts that needs to be closer to proportionate for determining phase proficiency.    wow

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

See - without even looking at this product, 1978 is in there.  I'm tellin you guys -

With all this speed shearing and forcing this thing to open ... offsetting the time it needs to "couple" to the planetary curvature/Coriolis ( that's really what it is...).  

The dy/dt is the N-->S component velocity of the SPV piece.   The dx/dt is the W-->E component of the S/stream S/W.  

When the ratio of these two are compared to the time constraint of the Coriolis parameter, ...I bet you dimes to donuts that needs to be closer to proportionate for determining phase proficiency.    wow

So what you’re saying, is this won’t have time to come together to be something memorable for NE…? Right?   I’m trying to parse’ through the technical intricacies, that I’m ignorant to, and understand that what you’re saying is,  no bueno for a big dog. ? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:
f=2\Omega \sin \varphi .\,

The rotation rate of the Earth (Ω = 7.2921 × 10−5 rad/s) can be calculated as 2π / T radians per second, where T is the rotation period of the Earth which is one sidereal day (23 h 56 min 4.1 s).[2] In the midlatitudes, the typical value for ff is about 10−4 rad/s. Inertial oscillations on the surface of the Earth have this frequency. These oscillations are the result of the Coriolis effect.

Everyone gets this, right? 

Actually, I see that you refer to it as the Coriolis effect, and not Coriolis force.  I've heard that before from a non-met scientist, who would get indignant when it was referred to as a "force".

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

With all this speed shearing and forcing this thing to open ... It's offsetting the time it needs to "couple" to the planetary curvature/Coriolis ( that's really what it is...).  

image.gif

• Haha 9

24 minutes ago, Heisy said:

#1 on the list… just gonna leave this here. Not saying that’s going to happen obviously, just pointing out the pattern is def good lol9c4bc6fb14a18edcd9ff29440bc28c1e.gif

Jan96 is still king for me. Yes please.

My concern is the late development/escape east. This potential looks more miller B. Those scare the WOR team.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Seems to be a good trend from 00z on the GEFS.

There seems to be more late bloomers on the 12z GEFS. The mean has the low well east of us but a bunch of westward individual members keep popping near the BM. 

You can see it below at 138 hours the distribution looks pretty typical, but then fast forward 12 hours and you see all those late bloomers back there

IMG_0089.png

IMG_0090.png

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Trust me, I didn't notice lol...basically what I was getting at was lower se heights and the velocity decreases. A more stout PNA rice should accomplish that.

It could.  I'm really using thought experimental logic to explain what/were the limitations are.  As far as "fixing" this thing?   haha. Yeah.

I think of this way... the heights over the S-SE seem to roll along by a different wave function/planetary forcing, and may or may not be in sync with what's going on over top ( above say ... 35 N).  Here, I can draw a quick and dirty illustration to explain this pictorally

image.png.0459e628eced8b23e46d2605a93f7261.png

This happening at varying scales ...etc, this is just a illustration to bring the point ...  If you can imaggine this "Quasi independently" caused height wall in the S to be oriented opposite of that implied wave signature, than there is less compression --> less +d(v) in the flow entering, which then allows more curvature to take place sooner with less shearing...

What the flow may actually look like, while the above is happening, doesn't necessarily reflect -

• Thanks 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

There seems to be more late bloomers on the 12z GEFS. The mean has the low well east of us but a bunch of westward individual members keep popping near the BM. 

You can see it below at 138 hours the distribution looks pretty typical, but then fast forward 12 hours and you see all those late bloomers back there

IMG_0089.png

IMG_0090.png

Luke likes to see that.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

So what you’re saying, is this won’t have time to come together to be something memorable for NE…? Right?   I’m trying to parse’ through the technical intricacies, that I’m ignorant to, and understand that what you’re saying is,  no bueno for a big dog. ? 

Not saying it won't -  ...just as is, the models that show this 'not in time' aspect are likely suffering from the discussion points at hand.  But these are virtual projections. The models may be handling the flow over the continent wrong, too - so they could be too fast. there's moving parts to this..

28 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Jan96 is still king for me. Yes please.

My concern is the late development/escape east. This potential looks more miller B. Those scare the WOR team.

We’ve had plenty of miller B’s crush us here. I don’t fear them, just need it to come together quick enough.  Not a bad spot to be at 6 days out though.  We track and enjoy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. This will be lighter and a later capture. I’ll take whatever but nao dominated patterns are overrated. Tap me on my shoulder when/if Feb becomes Pac driven. 

I don’t even think we can know what, or when, or if anything captures, or if these current ideas even stand up 3-4,days from now.  This has alot of moving parts, and will be jostling and moving around a lot, as we move forward. Buckle up, it’s gone be a bumpy ride. 

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

We’ve had plenty of miller B’s crush us here. I don’t fear them, just need it to come together quick enough.  Not a bad spot to be at 6 days out though.  We track and enjoy. 

They can work but B’s are not ideal. Anyway, I’ve parced through h5 and the angle of attack from the N stream is not conducive for WOR crushers. Doesn’t mean we whiff entirely but I’m not bullish on the pattern the way Brooklyn and some others are.