Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '23-'24 Piss and Moan/Banter Thread

IWXwx

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Not sure I follow.  Turd polishing and liking winter are not the same.  In fact, they're complete opposites.  I don't get tired of you liking winter, but you're turd polishing because your standards for winter are very low...which causes you to be happy about very basic/minimum things in winter that shouldn't require much effort.  As an example - if we have a good 5-15 day period in winter, that's not a big deal.  Winter is 90 days, so why would anyone be happy that 5-15 of those days feature consistent winter?  I would be unhappy if 50 days did...so only 5-15 days is horrible.  That's what I mean by turd polishing.

If one likes winter, one should have very high standards.  How can anyone who loves winter be happy with any winter season since 2014-15?  I don't care about comparisons to climo or actual seasonal snowfall totals; there are certain minimum standards that need to be met.  "Tenor of the winter" metrics are the most meaningful...such as SDDs, # of days with frozen lakes, # of wintry days (defined as a day with high temps in the 20s or colder AND 2"+ snow depth), etc.  If we get a 10" snowfall that melts within a week, we shouldn't be happy just because our paltry climo monthly average snowfall is met.  That isn't winter, because there are 20 other days in the month that need to be mostly wintry-feeling too.

A climo winter around here is bad enough.  So, by default, 60-80% of our winters here are horrible for winter lovers.  What's a huge slap in the face about the current winter is that places which should be totally immune from this crap are seeing a bad winter...and that's the last straw.  I get furious enough when we don't have 2 consecutive months of snow cover here at 42.1N...so it's 100x worse when places at 45-49N are dealing with the same thing.  Nothing is sacred anymore. 

Will we ever get to experience a DJF all 3 of these very important "tenor of the winter" things are true, at least 80-90% of the time?  Even I have reasonable standards, since I didn't say 100%.

(1) You wake up and look outside, and it always looks like winter (snow cover)  

(2) You walk outside, and it always feels like winter (temps) 

(3) You don't have to worry about the snow melting (stability)

We can barely get (1) or (2) for any more than a week these days, so there's no chance to ever imagine (3).  But (3) is the most important thing for a winter lover.

Many people on the forum nowadays seem to think that people should be happy with winter simply because it's colder than summer.  Hooray, I guess??  If there are 3 months of summer, there should be 3 months of winter.  Endless days of dry weather with temps in the 30s and 40s is not winter.  Do we ever have endless non-summer days in July/August?  No - when I wake up on August 1st, I don't have to worry about whether it will feel like summer.

I don't know what's worse about this winter - the actual weather, or the fact that people aren't completely furious and throwing things against the wall in frustration.  People on the forum seem to be taking this in stride, which is ridiculous.  I want to see more complaining, not less...because it shows that people actually care.  Everyone is participating in turd polishing this winter, not just Josh.

Bing Crosby didn't say "I'm...dreaming...of a White...Christmas (but only if all of the indices align perfectly, and it's not too early in the season for lake warmth, and then the snow will melt right away if it falls later in the season, and we should be happy with 7 days of winter in a season and we have to hope in coincides with December 25th)." 

And this can't be blamed on ENSO state.  Last year wasn't a strong El Nino, and it was still a horrible winter.  Same for most of the last 8 winters.  It's always something...do we really need all of the stars to align perfectly just to have winter??  If so, what's the ******* point? 

People often misunderstand my views. I want to enjoy all 4 seasons -= they just need to each be 3 months!!  Not much to ask, but it's like pulling teeth to get anything close to that since 2014-15. It drives you crazy.

Woah, woah, and WOAH. 

You COMPLETELY misinterpreted what I said. The annual bickering between me & Steve has its roots because he makes it clear he wants big dogs only, doesnt care for cold, snowcover, smaller snows, etc...whereas I like ALL THINGS WINTER and do not place emphasis on something that is rare, a monster storm. So i say if he wants to call it turd polishing because I like frequent snowfall over the biggest storm possible, so be it. I like what you like, dont paint me as the enemy!

But WHERE, please tell me, have I said I liked this winter? Is it turd polishing because, seeing the alarm bells of a strong Nino winter and knowing our fun may be limited I was outside daily ENJOYING the cold/snow when it was here rather than tracking how many days, hours, and minutes away a thaw was? Is it turd polishing because I havent decided to commit a murder because Im unhappy with winter? :huh:. Do we have to video ourselves throwing things against the wall or do you take our word for it?

Bing Crosby recorded White Christmas on a scorching hot summer day in 1942 btw.

And sorry, but a huge majority of this CAN be blamed on ENSO state. Not all, but a lot of it. Strong Ninos are the WORST winters for us, bar none. Theres not one single one thats been even an average winter here, let alone one that would even sniff your standards, in the history of strong Ninos dating to the 1800s.

And lastly, if you ask me, you are the one turd polishing this winter by lumping it in with the last 8 winters. Thats giving this winter wayyyy too much credit. This winter for me is in a league with winters like 2011-12, in its own way of course. Last winter sucked too, but was better overall. But prior to the last 2 winters, we did fine. In fact, much of this sub had unusually deep snow in Feb 2021. God forbid we have some average snow seasons after a period of record snowfall. That was not suffering. THIS is suffering.

• Haha 1

Spring/Summer severe weather enthusiasts have been suffering for many years too, jus sayin.

90% of winters 45 and north have the winter-time nirvana Beavis describes and is just a state or two away.  If winter means that much to someone, as clearly it does, why not move?  It may mean sacrificing a high paying job, lifestyle, and other things but it sure beats spending life miserable.
I packed up everything I had at 22 and did it.  If you want something bad enough, make it happen.  Stop whining.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Spring/Summer severe weather enthusiasts have been suffering for many years too, jus sayin.

90% of winters 45 and north have the winter-time nirvana Beavis describes and is just a state or two away.  If winter means that much to someone, as clearly it does, why not move?  It may mean sacrificing a high paying job, lifestyle, and other things but it sure beats spending life miserable.
I packed up everything I had at 22 and did it.  If you want something bad enough, make it happen.  Stop whining.

Indeed to the bolded.

I did exactly that myself with respect to severe weather and sunny weather. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Love your last statement.  Exactly why I moved where I did in SE MI!!!  Lost major$$ on my last house doing it too.  This area gets the most snow in SE MI, greats thunderstorms (but not always) and I get to keep my kind of high paying job :lol:

If desperate for 2-3'+ event I can go to Buffalo or UP.  If I want more/bigger t-storms I can storm chase and even travel to OV/MW.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lightning said:

Love your last statement.  Exactly why I moved where I did in SE MI!!!  Lost major$$ on my last house doing it too.  This area gets the most snow in SE MI, greats thunderstorms (but not always) and I get to keep my kind of high paying job :lol:

If desperate for 2-3'+ event I can go to Buffalo or UP.  If I want more/bigger t-storms I can storm chase and even travel to OV/MW.  

I'm content with my SE MI climate and take an annual trip up north in late Feb. This is the first time I've ever had a trip planned where I will have little or no snow (Feb 23-26). Bad winters happen. They suck. But they happen. 

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm content with my SE MI climate and take an annual trip up north in late Feb. This is the first time I've ever had a trip planned where I will have little or no snow (Feb 23-26). Bad winters happen. They suck. But they happen. 

Exactly.  We will have great ones and even worse ones. In 50+ years I have never seen a winter identical to any other.

Going to the UP and seeing Superior is always worth it no matter the weather :thumbsup:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Not sure I follow.  Turd polishing and liking winter are not the same.  In fact, they're complete opposites.  I don't get tired of you liking winter, but you're turd polishing because your standards for winter are very low...which causes you to be happy about very basic/minimum things in winter that shouldn't require much effort.  

I agree with just the first paragraph lol. 

• Weenie 1

9 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Yeah I can never live in the u.p. away from my friends and g/f. Also ,the whole point is getting the big dog in your backyard and moving to have to see it ruins most of the satisfaction. Also this whining  and calling out josh is filling in the boring stretch of weather we currently are in.

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's where our differences are. You're content with mediocrity and that's okay. I get it, it's weather, we can't do anything about it so why complain about it. Some are okay with bud light, some like myself enjoy Sam adams. Some people have dreams and the hope for more. Some aren't content with reaching avg annual snows. I just hope for more and keep getting disappointed. It'll all just be that more satisfying once my big dog dreams come true in 2050.

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yeah I can never live in the u.p. away from my friends and g/f. Also ,the whole point is getting the big dog in your backyard and moving to have to see it ruins most of the satisfaction. Also this whining  and calling out josh is filling in the boring stretch of weather we currently are in.

The problem is your expectation for Clinton Twp MI are not correctly aligned with reality.  You are looking for an event that would be a historic/record breaking event.  Then you say because this record breaking event doesn't happen this winter sucks or that wasn't a real storm!!

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

That's where our differences are. You're content with mediocrity and that's okay. I get it, it's weather, we can't do anything about it so why complain about it. Some are okay with bud light, some like myself enjoy Sam adams. Some people have dreams and the hope for more. Some aren't content with reaching avg annual snows. I just hope for more and keep getting disappointed. It'll all just be that more satisfying once my big dog dreams come true in 2050.

It has nothing to do with contentment.  You can buy either Bud Light or Sam Adams at a store anywhere in the USA.  Weather can't be bought and every location has specific weather patterns.

If you are not going to move, you need to accept where you are and enjoy what you do get.  Otherwise you are always going to basically hate the weather!!!

EDIT: I know this is the B&M thread.  B&M away, though I will defend Josh!  You can ask Harry and Josh and some others on here.  Years ago I sounded similar.  I am just offering some friendly advice that has truly helped me.  Not saying that I don't occasional get frustrated with the weather and will do some B&M; however;  I do enjoy the weather a TON more now and I even get excited for the Chicago group (or any other poster) when they are getting blasted and I am not.

4 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

My post wasn't directed at you.  The banter between you and Josh goes way back.  I find it mildly entertaining. :lol: It's the bitching and moaning and having unrealistic expectations for local climo that's annoying, even tho I will admit for parts of the sub, the past few winters have been horrible and I'd likely be the first to complain.

As far as the UP goes, as a kid I dreamed of living here and as soon as I could I did.  It's different and not for everyone, and minus the snow I'd still live here.  I'll probably die here unless at some point I decide to head west or to Alaska.  Mainstream America is NOT for me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

My post wasn't directed at you.  The banter between you and Josh goes way back.  I find it mildly entertaining. :lol: It's the bitching and moaning and having unrealistic expectations for local climo that's annoying, even tho I will admit for parts of the sub, the past few winters have been horrible and I'd likely be the first to complain.

As far as the UP goes, as a kid I dreamed of living here and as soon as I could I did.  It's different and not for everyone, and minus the snow I'd still live here.  I'll probably die here unless at some point I decide to head west or to Alaska.  Mainstream America is NOT for me.

One of these days I'll get Josh to admit chicago owns us in big dogs. He doesn't seem to weakening his turd polishing shield anytime soon but I will keep chipping away. It's all in good fun and glad we could entertain you in the slightest. I'm sure it's annoying to some but there ain't nothing else going on of any weather significance. People think I dont enjoy the smaller events and that's false. Just getting slightly annoyed we can't get over the hump here. I don't think expecting a big dog every 40 years is unrealistic. I don't expect one every winter and totally understand it's not our regular climo. But seeing almost everyone around us get one in my lifetime doesn't help.

7 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yeah I'll step in here, we don't need to be calling people out and arguing because the period is boring. That is just not a good way to board.

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

One of these days I'll get Josh to admit chicago owns us in big dogs. He doesn't seem to weakening his turd polishing shield anytime soon but I will keep chipping away. It's all in good fun and glad we could entertain you in the slightest. I'm sure it's annoying to some but there ain't nothing else going on of any weather significance. People think I dont enjoy the smaller events and that's false. Just getting slightly annoyed we can't get over the hump here. I don't think expecting a big dog every 40 years is unrealistic. I don't expect one every winter and totally understand it's not our regular climo. But seeing almost everyone around us get one in my lifetime doesn't help.

The only reason they do is because of Lake Michigan, by the numbers they also get less snow yearly and we get more of the 6-10" snows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

The only reason they do is because of Lake Michigan, by the numbers they also get less snow yearly and we get more of the 6-10" snows.

I am almost as far north at 42.18 latitude as Detroit yet you guys seem to outperform us in snowfall averages. Is that just lake influence or does your area receive more synoptic snows?

6 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

I am almost as far north at 42.18 latitude as Detroit yet you guys seem to outperform us in snowfall averages. Is that just lake influence or does your area receive more synoptic snows?

We get more lake effect through the year, while you guys can get more bigger lake effect hits its generally smaller through the year and some years can be next to nothing. We get quantity, you get quality.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Dont flatter yourself. Beavis obviously misunderstood what I meant. Beavis is like me on steroids when it comes to winter, the polar opposite of ALL things YOU stand for in winter. You ve been called out by multiple other posters over the years for your posting AND your exaggerating. The reason people dont think you enjoy small events (which to you is anything under 12") because youve said as much. See, I dont play that game. I like what I like, and I dont waiver from it. I liked the same type of weather through our record snow stretch of 2007-15 that I like in these last 2 lean winters. If you think its turd polishing by posting about the weather ON A WEATHER board, or correcting your misinformation, fine. Ive hated this winter as a whole, not sure how Ive polished it lol. 

42 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

34 minutes ago, Stebo said:

We get more lake effect through the year, while you guys can get more bigger lake effect hits its generally smaller through the year and some years can be next to nothing. We get quantity, you get quality.

Synoptic seems a crapshoot. Some years we certainly get more, but other years we dont. One thing that often helps us is not just pure "lake effect" but lake enhanced snow. Sometimes a shortwave or clipper will move thru and it gets a boost from Lake MI, increasing snow on this side of the lake. So in that case, you really cant call it lake effect OR synoptic, its more lake enhanced synoptic snow lol.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

Ghd1 had nothing to do with lake Michigan. I am aware we do better than Chicago avg wise and with the smaller/avg events. I just get tired of the its not our climo b.s. to get a big dog, and its unrealistic to want one. The point is it's possible. Ec, minneapolis, Chicago, they've all had one in the last 20 years. 

22 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Dont flatter yourself. Beavis obviously misunderstood what I meant. Beavis is like me on steroids when it comes to winter, the polar opposite of ALL things YOU stand for in winter. You ve been called out by multiple other posters over the years for your posting AND your exaggerating. The reason people dont think you enjoy small events (which to you is anything under 12") because youve said as much. See, I dont play that game. I like what I like, and I dont waiver from it. I liked the same type of weather through our record snow stretch of 2007-15 that I like in these last 2 lean winters. If you think its turd polishing by posting about the weather ON A WEATHER board, or correcting your misinformation, fine. Ive hated this winter as a whole, not sure how Ive polished it lol. 

Not quite sure what I'm exaggerating or who's called me out. We suck at big dogs plain and simple. That's all I've been saying. Never have I said I didn't enjoy 6-12 events, they just don't get me all excited anymore. The shit today is what's annoying. Just enough to mess up the roads.

4 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Ghd1 had nothing to do with lake Michigan. I am aware we do better than Chicago avg wise and with the smaller/avg events. I just get tired of the its not our climo b.s. to get a big dog, and its unrealistic to want one. The point is it's possible. Ec, minneapolis, Chicago, they've all had one in the last 20 years. 

While Lake Michigan is certainly part of it, to get a GHD 1-type storm to take a favorable track for Detroit to get dumped on, it would also require a deepening low pressure center to move up the spine of the Appalachian Mountains *AND* with an intense TROWAL, which is much more difficult to accomplish thanks to the complications with topography / downsloping.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:20 AM, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Personally it really doesn’t matter a whole lot right now how big of a train wreck this winter turns out to be. 

My wife and I welcomed our 2nd child into the world last week. Cloud 9 only begins to describe how I feel. You can’t change the weather but you can impact and shape the little creatures you create in life.

1B5C0CC8-5308-4639-9B26-AFE0743DD96E.jpeg

Awesome man! Yeah, bringing new ones in is soo cool. Cherish every moment, even when they get older, and a bit naughty, and think they know everything. LOL You never know what the future brings. Losing my youngest was/is the toughest thing I've ever gone through. May you, and your family be greatly blessed!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yes it did, they got enhancement off of Lake Michigan throughout the storm. It absolutely contributed to their totals.

• Thanks 1