Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

Steve I think that was me pointing out there were no 6" or greater snowstorms in Philly from February 7, 1967 until January 20, 1978. Those were the day's we never got snow and that period was one of the least snowy decades in our history. It was a little better in the Philly burbs of Chesco....where we had 7 storms during those 12 years that exceeded 6". The biggest near miss was February 19, 1972 when Philly changed to rain after only 3.7" while Coatesville stayed snow and accumulated 13.8" of snow

Thank you Paul

Some snow drought factoids that you might find of interest. We have talked about this before but here in Chester County PA if we can just get through January 3rd without recording a full one inch daily snowfall we will set a new record for longest period between such events - our last greater than 1" snow event was on March 12, 2022 when we recorded 4.3" of snow. The current non 1" record is the only winter in Chester County since 1888 that recorded absolutely no snow at all. So nothing measurable (more than a trace) - this was during the non-winter of 1972-73. During that stretch we went from February 24, 1972 until December 16, 1973 or 661 days without a daily observed snowfall of at least 1 inch.
To help hopefully put some of this in context for all of you snow lovers out there....be very thankful you were not around to remember back when we really had true snow droughts. Are you surprised to find out that from the mid-1930's through the late 1950's. Here in Chester County we had not even one above average snow season?? (Current 30 year average 35.9") So for 23 straight winter seasons from the winter of 1934-35 season through the 1956-57 season not one winter season featured above normal snowfall - snow enthusiasts must have been miserable!!
By contrast folks today with more recent memories of here in Chester County PA may potentially be surprised to hear that the last 2 complete decades (2000's/2010's) featured two of the top four snowiest decades in our history going back through the 1890's. With my view of typical cyclical weather patterns....it would make one think we are way overdue for some non-snowy winters before the next snowy period sets in. Thoughts??

2 hours ago, ChescoWx said:
Some snow drought factoids that you might find of interest. We have talked about this before but here in Chester County PA if we can just get through January 3rd without recording a full one inch daily snowfall we will set a new record for longest period between such events - our last greater than 1" snow event was on March 12, 2022 when we recorded 4.3" of snow. The current non 1" record is the only winter in Chester County since 1888 that recorded absolutely no snow at all. So nothing measurable (more than a trace) - this was during the non-winter of 1972-73. During that stretch we went from February 24, 1972 until December 16, 1973 or 661 days without a daily observed snowfall of at least 1 inch.
To help hopefully put some of this in context for all of you snow lovers out there....be very thankful you were not around to remember back when we really had true snow droughts. Are you surprised to find out that from the mid-1930's through the late 1950's. Here in Chester County we had not even one above average snow season?? (Current 30 year average 35.9") So for 23 straight winter seasons from the winter of 1934-35 season through the 1956-57 season not one winter season featured above normal snowfall - snow enthusiasts must have been miserable!!
By contrast folks today with more recent memories of here in Chester County PA may potentially be surprised to hear that the last 2 complete decades (2000's/2010's) featured two of the top four snowiest decades in our history going back through the 1890's. With my view of typical cyclical weather patterns....it would make one think we are way overdue for some non-snowy winters before the next snowy period sets in. Thoughts??

Someone needs to remind folks in other subs that these phases are cyclical and not the end times for snowfall. While I believe in that elephant in the room that shall not be mentioned, I dont believe that is the lone cause of tough luck we have had since we 2016 (2014 tbh). There will eventually be a run of snowy years like we have seen in our lifetimes already. You know what I say....buckle up and have patience.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

What I find interesting is that wile the monster snow storms are fun to track and be a part of, (and I think someone already mentioned this) is that we don't have a legit winter of just clippers bringing the 2 inches of snow and cold hanging around. We get the cold and snow shot but then its all gone within 5-7 days and we're back in the 40's. 

At this point weenies (like me) would rather have this than stare at 300+hr monster model runs. I am happy there is something to track next week next week, but if it dosen't verify, no biggie.  I'm certainly not cancelling winter by any means yet though. Long way to go here.  Again the key is patience. 

• Like 2

We have almost doubled our average December rainfall so far this month and we look to further add to that figure over the next couple of days. So far today we have picked up 0.23" of rain here in East Nantmeal. Our monthly total is now 6.44" Some other Chester County PA area amounts so far this month: Atglen 7.21" / Chester Springs 6.17" / Warwick Twp. 7.09" / West Bradford Twp. 7.70" / West Chester 9.04" /Nottingham 6.73".

image.png.4fe89682b3027496086c4d25bf05de59.png

14 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

...especially when it finally snows!

My indoor/outdoor stuff have been on 24/7 because it's so cloudy/dark. Blew a couple window candle bulbs but surprisingly the 1.21 Gigawatts red porch light is still going strong.

But damn, all we need is a clipper, snow squall, snow shower or heavy duty flurries activity to make things right.

Birds won, Dal and SF lost which helped though...

47F/Cloudy

now.jpg

7 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Rain deathband over the region

Omg another drought can't come soon enough

I can arrange that LMAO. Mt Holly decided this afternoon to leave out the LV in a flood watch.  Just changed their tune real quick and has just issued one. I expect flood advisories  to be issued for my neck of the woods by midnight. This is the most rain I have seen in 30+ years here in the LV in December. We will break the record. ABE rain gauge must have a hole in it if we do not break the record. LOL

spoke too soon-- they did not wait until midnight

Flood Warning
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
912 PM EST Wed Dec 27 2023

DEC003-PAC011-017-029-045-077-091-095-280815-
/O.NEW.KPHI.FA.W.0083.231228T0212Z-231228T0815Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
New Castle DE-Berks PA-Bucks PA-Chester PA-Delaware PA-Lehigh PA-
Montgomery PA-Northampton PA-
912 PM EST Wed Dec 27 2023

...FLOOD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 315 AM EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is expected.

* WHERE...Portions of northern Delaware, including the following
  county, New Castle and Pennsylvania, including the following
  counties, Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Lehigh, Montgomery and
  Northampton.

* WHEN...Until 315 AM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying
  and flood-prone locations is imminent or occurring.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
  - At 910 PM EST, Doppler radar and automated rain gauges
    indicated heavy rain. Flooding is ongoing or expected to
    begin shortly in the warned area. Between 0.5 and 1.5 inches
    of rain have fallen.
  - Additional rainfall amounts of 0.5 to 1.5 inches are possible
    in the warned area.
  - Some locations that may experience flooding include...
    Allentown, Reading, Wilmington, Newark, Easton, Middletown,
    West Chester, Bethlehem, Norristown, Chester, Pottstown and
    Phoenixville.
  - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around...don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most
flood deaths occur in vehicles. Be especially cautious at night when
it is harder to recognize the dangers of flooding.

&&

LAT...LON 4027 7607 4065 7597 4077 7569 4086 7529
      4097 7512 4086 7505 4075 7520 4057 7519
      3986 7534 3962 7559 3957 7554 3947 7557
      3942 7553 3933 7576 3972 7579 3972 7614
      3973 7609 3987 7599 4011 7594 4014 7587

the drought guy still here trying to stay  dry. LOL

So far 2.20 in of rain here in Ancient Oaks Macungie since 6pm.  The row boats coming out again for the Little lehigh behind my house. Spring creek rd will be under water tomorrow morning. I expect Allentown LV will be in the news Heavy rain - the fire hose has been opened up for hours and it is still coming down hard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

10" of rain can't happen in December in the world I once knew.

I hear you. I am over 11 in for the month now with just rain with 3+ more inches in the gauge now.  This is utterly ridiculous. The sinkholes will really open by Feb when the water tables to fall again from frozen grounds. A bunch of dead ash trees fell in this storm from the ash borer too  in the woods behind my house as the winds were really gusty because of the water logged soils. That was unexpected 

• Like 1