Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Results are in for my Feb forecast. 

Michael,

Congratulations on ranking 9 out of 83 participants in WeatherBELL's February Forecast Competition! You've shown impressive skill in long-range weather forecasting, beating 4 out of 7 models and all 6 members of the WeatherBELL team! 

Your total error score over all 12 cities was 54.5°F, with an average error of 4.54°F and an average bias of -4.54°F. You forecasted the correct sign for 7 out of 12 locations, and your best location was "Seattle Tacoma International Airport" with a forecast bias of +1.3°F.

Thanks for participating, and good luck in the April Forecast Competition! Enter your forecasts between Friday, March 15 at 12:00AM ET and Thursday, March 21 at 11:59PM ET at the following link to qualify. https://competition.weatherbell.com/forecast-entry

The WeatherBELL Analytics Team

Despite the placing I was still biased way too cold, but part of that is a testament to just how warm the month was. I went +5 at Minneapolis for example and the month finished +12.7ºF.. which is insane.  Happy I opted for doing + departures in the NE/north-central/Ohio Valley stations at least. Final numbers had to be submitted by like Jan 21st, so that was in the middle of the biblical February incoming disco. That was when the MJO was showing signs of being slow with progressing to and beyond 8 and we know how that ended up with the pulse refusing the cold phases. With that I had expected the good pattern to come but delayed, and we just never got it. Expected the southern US to be colder than average with an active southern stream and even there ended up solidly above average.

Which 3 models did better? GEFS extended (2nd), Euro Seasonal (5th)  CANSIPS (6th). GEFS extended only had a total error of 25.8ºF (avg error of 2.15ºF).

Euro weeklies (44th) had a 69.6ºF total error (avg error of 5.8ºF).

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Results are in for my Feb forecast. 

Despite the placing I was still biased way too cold, but part of that is a testament to just how warm the month was. I went +5 at Minneapolis for example and the month finished +12.7ºF.. which is insane.  Happy I opted for doing + departures in the NE/north-central/Ohio Valley stations at least. Final numbers had to be submitted by like Jan 21st, so that was in the middle of the biblical February incoming disco. That was when the MJO was showing signs of being slow with progressing to and beyond 8 and we know how that ended up with the pulse refusing the cold phases. With that I had expected the good pattern to come but delayed, and we just never got it. Expected the southern US to be colder than average with an active southern stream and even there ended up solidly above average.

Which 3 models did better? GEFS extended (2nd), Euro Seasonal (5th)  CANSIPS (6th). GEFS extended only had a total error of 25.8ºF (avg error of 2.15ºF).

Euro weeklies (44th) had a 69.6ºF total error (avg error of 5.8ºF).

It’s almost like you’re a trained pro and know what you’re taking about! 

after the beauty we had yesterday, i'm ready to put winter to bed. 
That is the correct answer. It is time to get the pool warmed up in time for consolations.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Only .14" of rain here thus far. The March 6th max min record of 45 looks likely to fall.  Peter Sinks is having none of it, with a national low of -22.

Yeah, so thank you for pointing out your rainfall total - last night's forecast was for .50 - 1.00" of rain. Now the forecast has been adjusted to about .25". That's a pretty huge bust from right as the event was beginning to now. 

Sometimes when it's a rain event people don't notice those things as much as when it's snow - but what we're going through today is akin to a forecast last night of 5-10" of snow and ending up with 2", 3" of snow at most. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yeah, so thank you for pointing out your rainfall total - last night's forecast was for .50 - 1.00" of rain. Now the forecast has been adjusted to about .25". That's a pretty huge bust from right as the event was beginning to now. 

Sometimes when it's a rain event people don't notice those things as much as when it's snow - but what we're going through today is akin to a forecast last night of 5-10" of snow and ending up with 2", 3" of snow at most. 

Seemed to me that the shield came much farther West than some Meso's predicted.  I was not expecting the near .4" here.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Must mean that spring and summer are not really here yet and colder to come.  Drought kicks in over here when the real heat gets here.

I was driving home yesterday afternoon and was doing an inventory of all of the days recently that we were in the 60s, the grass is greening, the flowers are blooming in our beds like crazy, we had thunderstorms last week, and the river trail that you visited was PACKED yesterday! I'm not sure I've seen such a big non-holiday Monday "crowd" since the trail opened. It looks like spring, feels like spring, signs of spring are everywhere around (at least here) and if it does get colder...it's going to be a shock to a lot of people.

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was driving home yesterday afternoon and was doing an inventory of all of the days recently that we were in the 60s, the grass is greening, the flowers are blooming in our beds like crazy, we had thunderstorms last week, and the river trail that you visited was PACKED yesterday! I'm not sure I've seen such a big non-holiday Monday "crowd" since the trail opened. It looks like spring, feels like spring, signs of spring are everywhere around (at least here) and if it does get colder...it's going to be a shock to a lot of people.

Yep.  In defense of the weather and timing, it was like this the last two years even earlier.   Last year 11 of the last 15 days of Feb were 55 or over with a 63, 69, 71 and 67 mixed in.     In 2022 five of the last 15 days of Feb were 62 or over. 

• Thanks 1

Last year i did watch college baseball while floating in the pool and drinking beverages. 
College baseball bores me for some reason. I think it's the broadcasting, but I also think it's the metal bats. These kids are months away from the metal bats going bye bye, and really, the NCAA should make them go bye bye so there isn't that adjustment to wood.

That and I have yet to see or hear about some collegiate goliath hitting a 700 foot homer. That would change my opinion pretty goddamned fast.

And then I would petition for a brick wall between home and the mound to protect pitchers and introduce the metal bats to MLB so there is a race between Fernando Tatis, Jr., Vlad Guerrero, Jr., Ronald Acuña, Pete Alonso, Aaron Judge, and Giancarlo Stanton to the the first with a 1,000 ft blast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

College baseball bores me for some reason. I think it's the broadcasting, but I also think it's the metal bats. These kids are months away from the metal bats going bye bye, and really, the NCAA should make them go bye bye so there isn't that adjustment to wood.

That and I have yet to see or hear about some collegiate goliath hitting a 700 foot homer. That would change my opinion pretty goddamned fast.

And then I would petition for a brick wall between home and the mound to protect pitchers and introduce the metal bats to MLB so there is a race between Fernando Tatis, Jr., Vlad Guerrero, Jr., Ronald Acuña, Pete Alonso, Aaron Judge, and Giancarlo Stanton to the the first with a 1,000 ft blast.

Acuna's injury was minor and he'll be ready for opening day - great news for the tomahawk choppers. 

Acuna's injury was minor and he'll be ready for opening day - great news for the tomahawk choppers. 
Plot twist is the surgeon who gave him the second opinion is a Dodgers fan and decided to send him out there with a ticking time bomb.

Pros: Dodgers don't need any help but preventing a 60/80 season to one of the few threats doesn't hurt anybody.

Cons: Your surgery failed. Maybe the dude who was silly enough to sign a $100M contract when he was worth at least twice that will be silly enough to go back for a second surgery.

• Haha 1