• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

44 this AM....which is 5 degrees higher than the Normal High for MDT today...but almost 30 degrees less than the high here yesterday.  Ouch. 

Some, including down here, have snow in their zones Sunday Night...but only for a 3 hour period!

Rain likely before midnight, then a chance of rain and snow between midnight and 3am, then a chance of rain after 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 34. North wind 11 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

That weird evolution of an almost country long front, 8 days away, results in this solution on the Euro.  Check out that height anomaly in Canada!   Too much for our liking.  That big pig kidney is pushing too much.    This pattern with the large block in Central Canada is a Carolina Weather nuts dream.

Capture.JPG

image.thumb.png.dc55c3a5fcaa49c8d3f0f06931d1d762.png

27 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That weird evolution of an almost country long front, 8 days away, results in this solution on the Euro.  Check out that height anomaly in Canada!   Too much for our liking.  That big pig kidney is pushing too much.    This pattern with the large block in Central Canada is a Carolina Weather nuts dream.

Capture.JPG

image.thumb.png.dc55c3a5fcaa49c8d3f0f06931d1d762.png

Snow mean has increased, but a lot of spread on how far north slp can come. Definitely in the game as of now.

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus (7).png

sn10_024h-mean-imp.us_ma (6).png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

As long as this does not trend to where the trough/ridge is even farther south ala the GFS, it is definitely a big dog watcher. 

Yep. Long way to go. Be nice to commemorate the 2/6/10 blizzard with one on 2/6/24. :weenie:

• Like 3

I don't know how this will play into your weather going forward, but for here, at 5-6 days out, the NWS is pretty bullish about a stormy pattern setting up here in the southwest. This just the opening shot, as longer range guidance suggests more rain and mountain snow beyond Friday.

Thursday Night
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. South wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Friday
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Yep. Long way to go. Be nice to commemorate the 2/6/10 blizzard with one on 2/6/24. :weenie:

Yea, may get a thread on the MA early because of that.

Rolling out the GEFS, some members not too far off that Euro solution.  Ridge is also more acceptable than on big brother GFS. 

image.thumb.png.d4cc282311bff98101c491f0ec52a96d.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah it’s rare that even losing teams are kept under a 100 anymore.

The league wants offense, and the officiating is highly questionable at times, IMO.  Not as much bad calls, which do happen, as calls that favor certain players. 

On your add, the current prevalence of the 3-point shot adds to the chances in a big way.  The NBA added it in 1979 but it did not become a main source of scoring until the mid 2000's (outside some renegade years in the 90's.)  Not to take away from the incredible stat of 4 in the last year or two.    Luka hit 8 3's last night.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

Yes, lots of time for the convoluted blocking & confluence to ease in the next 10 days.

Better now to see it off of the Carolina coast instead of a low in the Lakes at this range.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We have no chance is what you're saying.

NCAENS applies  to this situation folks-- no cold air equals no snow. A hopium weather pattern in a El Nino year -- right LOL  MY favorite clip for this imagining weather pattern situation: 

12 hours ago, canderson said:

I am old enough to remember when the NBA had defense.  

2 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah it’s rare that even losing teams are kept under a 100 anymore.

Edit:  To add to this, from 1964-2022 there were four 70+ point games. In the last year there have also been four such games. 

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The league wants offense, and the officiating is highly questionable at times, IMO.  Not as much bad calls, which do happen, as calls that favor certain players. 

On your add, the current prevalence of the 3-point shot adds to the chances in a big way.  The NBA added it in 1979 but it did not become a main source of scoring until the mid 2000's (outside some renegade years in the 90's.)  Not to take away from the incredible stat of 4 in the last year or two.    Luka hit 8 3's last night.  

And I am old enough to see the Association come full circle.

I grew up watching both the NBA and the ABA. The ABA was noteworthy for 2 things...they used a red, white and blue ball, and there was no defense. When the ABA merged with the NBA in the 1970s, coming into the Association was a whole bunch of high flying scorers. Julius Erving was one of the most famous. After that, scoring gradually started to come down to where teams would average right around 100 points. Then the late 80s and especially the 90s featured the bad boy Detroit Pistons and a whole new, physical style of play along with it. They had success and other teams followed. Suddenly games were ending 86-78 and the like.

Today's game leaves me feeling very conflicted. While I can appreciate the level of athleticism, the game has evolved into shootouts. Guys driving to the cup for an easy layup but instead firing the rock out to the perimeter for yet another 3. Defense is not emphasized until the 4th quarter. It's entertaining for a lot...the one thing that it isn't is "pure" basketball. And it's one of many reasons why I'm a former season ticket holder and have no plans on attending a single game this season.

That's my perspective as a 50+ year fan of the game. My 28 year old son can't get enough of it, so there's definitely an appeal to some.

• Like 2

Only fell to 38.9 here in EN. Lower spots were as cold as 31. After 3 straight days of rain and fog totaling 0.76" we have a dry day today (not much sun though) with high temps running almost 10 degrees above normal for the date in the upper 40's. Temps will only fall to the upper 30's tonight as rain arrives overnight. Tomorrow will be raw and wet day with temperatures going nowhere during the day remaining in the 30's to near 40. Snow may begin to mix in with the rain especially in the higher spots in the area overnight Sunday into Monday AM. We should remain near to slightly above normal temps for the rest of the work week.
Records for today: High 71 (1916) / Low 2 below zero (1987) / Rain 1.46" (1990) / Snow 6.5" (1941)

image.png.8a2fc5ac4e22b002da0b5e4052b4f8b4.png

• Weenie 1

And I am old enough to see the Association come full circle.
I grew up watching both the NBA and the ABA. The ABA was noteworthy for 2 things...they used a red, white and blue ball, and there was no defense. When the ABA merged with the NBA in the 1970s, coming into the Association was a whole bunch of high flying scorers. Julius Erving was one of the most famous. After that, scoring gradually started to come down to where teams would average right around 100 points. Then the late 80s and especially the 90s featured the bad boy Detroit Pistons and a whole new, physical style of play along with it. They had success and other teams followed. Suddenly games were ending 86-78 and the like.
Today's game leaves me feeling very conflicted. While I can appreciate the level of athleticism, the game has evolved into shootouts. Guys driving to the cup for an easy layup but instead firing the rock out to the perimeter for yet another 3. Defense is not emphasized until the 4th quarter. It's entertaining for a lot...the one thing that it isn't is "pure" basketball. And it's one of many reasons why I'm a former season ticket holder and have no plans on attending a single game this season.
That's my perspective as a 50+ year fan of the game. My 28 year old son can't get enough of it, so there's definitely an appeal to some.

My 14 y/o loves it.

I grew up a Knicks fan watching Charles Oakley and Patrick Ewing. Definitely a different style of basketball.

• Like 2

Looking at the ensembles, I just don't see how the weeklies are going to verify the first week. It's possible that the MJO is messing them up since most modeling has the wave doubling back once in Phase 7 to either barely back into 6 or on the edge of 7 to 6, then toward Phase 8.  But for the week beginning 2/12, the first progged week of the perfect 5h previously posted, I  don't see any of the ensembles that end on or about 2/12 looking like the weeklies. So it's either all 3 ensembles are wrong at the end of their runs, an unaffordable can-kick of the pattern by day(s)/week, or they're modeled perfect patterns are a fail and who knows what will verify. That said, I  am basing this on the 12z Gefs and 0z Eps and Geps. Hopefully the 12z runs of those 2 will suggest their prior runs were flawed.

53 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Looking at the ensembles, I just don't see how the weeklies are going to verify the first week. It's possible that the MJO is messing them up since most modeling has the wave doubling back once in Phase 7 to either barely back into 6 or on the edge of 7 to 6, then toward Phase 8.  But for the week beginning 2/12, the first progged week of the perfect 5h previously posted, I  don't see any of the ensembles that end on or about 2/12 looking like the weeklies. So it's either all 3 ensembles are wrong at the end of their runs, an unaffordable can-kick of the pattern by day(s)/week, or they're modeled perfect patterns are a fail and who knows what will verify. That said, I  am basing this on the 12z Gefs and 0z Eps and Geps. Hopefully the 12z runs of those 2 will suggest their prior runs were flawed.

The MJO was supposed to stall in 6 if you go back & look at forecasts from a week or so back, but now it’s rocketing through 6. Latest forecasts have it stalling in 7 & trying to hook back. 
Most of this season, the MJO has kept moving along despite its forecasts to stall. 
I think it will again progress slowly through 7 into 8, hopefully locking in a prolonged wintry pattern.

IMG_4749.png

IMG_4750.png