Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Anyone else think some of the snows being depicted over the last few days for the monday/tuesday period have almost an anafrontal look about them?  Speaking of prior to the coastal really getting going.

IMO its more of a warm air advection kinda deal out in front of the main show.  

Something to watch (for a bigger boom) is the backside ULL and how it interacts.  12z shows a little better dive in on the backside, and tugs the SLP closer to the coast.  IF that happens a bit more, it'll help to keep SLP closer and should help thermally to add some more sicks of white dynamite to our precious storm.  Look at the ULL in Illinois.  IF we can get that to dive in, the trough could go a tad more neg, and up she comes. 

CMC sorta shows where my brain is at WRT to this.  TTFN

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_21.png

• Like 3

It has been so long since we've had a stretch of wintry weather. Shoot, even the bomb of 2016 was mostly a one and done kind of thing and the 30" of snow that fell was gone in less than a week.

Wouldn't it be nice to look outside and drive through a snowy landscape for an extended period of time? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It has been so long since we've had a stretch of wintry weather. Shoot, even the bomb of 2016 was mostly a one and done kind of thing and the 30" of snow that fell was gone in less than a week.

Wouldn't it be nice to look outside and drive through a snowy landscape for an extended period of time? 

Was it 2010 when every Wednesday morning for 2 months we had a 2-4" clipper come through? That was the best. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Anyone else think some of the snows being depicted over the last few days for the monday/tuesday period have almost an anafrontal look about them?  Speaking of prior to the coastal really getting going.

It is definitely a need the pieces to fall into place situation.  If you watch the last couple GFS's the low seems to jump west at one point as it tries to escape and redevelops.    But, the totals we are seeing could be expanded on if the low were to stay closer to the coast earlier on though the MA crew will not approve. 

• Like 2

Yes, and that’s my favorite part of winter. It’s something I really miss.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

There has been one winter since I came back where there was snow on the ground for about a 2-3 weeks....I do not keep records like you but will look at MDT and probably remember when I have a chance. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

There has been one winter since I came back where there was snow on the ground for about a 2-3 weeks....I do not keep records like you but will look at MDT and probably remember when I have a chance. 

6 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Yes, and that’s my favorite part of winter. It’s something I really miss.

Unfortunately, I don't keep data on snow cover retention. The best year that I recall was the winter of 1993-94. I seem to remember having continuous snow cover from about this time of year through the middle of March. We had a lot of QPF that was evenly distributed between snow, sleet, and freezing rain. It was a glacier that would not melt. I started my current job in 1997 and we've had an additional year...maybe very late 90s or early 2000s that had snow cover for many weeks. Other than that, snow cover has been elusive for any period longer than a week outside of that glorious week in February 2010. Even that only lasted about 10 days or so as I recall. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, canderson said:

Was it 2010 when every Wednesday morning for 2 months we had a 2-4" clipper come through? That was the best. 

That must have been a Harrisburg thing - anyone from Lancaster county will tell you that getting 2-4" from any clipper is a bonanza. Ain't no way we had weeks of clippers that produced that much. :)  

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Unfortunately, I don't keep data on snow cover retention. The best year that I recall was the winter of 1993-94. I seem to remember having continuous snow cover from about this time of year through the middle of March. We had a lot of QPF that was evenly distributed between snow, sleet, and freezing rain. It was a glacier that would not melt. I started my current job in 1997 and we've had an additional year...maybe very late 90s or early 2000s that had snow cover for many weeks. Other than that, snow cover has been elusive for any period longer than a week outside of that glorious week in February 2010. Even that only lasted about 10 days or so as I recall. 

I believe in my case it was Feb 2021. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Glad to see the MA crew finally understanding the Euro control of the EPS is the lower resolution Euro.   At least in what I read on the page from the group that manages it. 

Euro vs the world .

Wonder who wins? :lol:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Hopefully Blizz is passed out and can sleep it off until the 18Z Euro comes out. 

I think 18z Nam puts him back to sleep with suppression as its height field looks a lot like the Euro at 90hrs.*

*-not extrapolating...comparing the 2 at the same time! 

• Like 1