Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

You may need the National Guard for the enxt one which is looking slightly colder. 

The next one doesn’t have much of a high progged to the north like this one actually does. 1035ish N of Maine vs the very deep low approaching. If you guys flipped over to snow I wonder if the rest of the Sus Valley can get a period of snow as the heavier precip moves up into there. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The HRRR and 3K are not as juiced as I was expecting as to qpf today. Some 2" locations in areas East of mountains where it is wrung out but lots of under 2" areas as well.   When I went to look, I was thinking it would be 2+" across the board for most of Eastern PA.   The 55-60 degree temps will end my snow cover streak at 4 days.  LOL 

Yeah I'm thinking the heaviest of the qpf stays confined mostly to Mt. Holly's areas.  @pasnownut I'm thinking the cabins up north get a nice thumping through about lunch time.

Low of 28 here.  Currently 35 with light rain breaking out.

I have been, and continue to be, VERY intrigued about the prospects for next week.

• Like 1

A look at 511pa cams in the Laurels still shows mostly snow on the cams in Somerset Co all the way down to Meyersdale and the cam on the Somerset/Westmoreland line. Mixing or rain on those cams are usually a sign of such things here soon, so probably have some time yet here. I’m at about 5” now so it’s becoming very likely I’m going to verify a warning out of this. 

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just saw on the MA that parts of Frederick county MD have 1-2" of snow now and route 81 is closed?  Also schools closing or closed.   This is a Blizz type of cutter. 

It’s funny how all this works after Saturday’s storm haha. I wonder if the high pressure to the north was underestimated, even with the HRRR. 

20 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah I'm thinking the heaviest of the qpf stays confined mostly to Mt. Holly's areas.  @pasnownut I'm thinking the cabins up north get a nice thumping through about lunch time.

Low of 28 here.  Currently 35 with light rain breaking out.

I have been, and continue to be, VERY intrigued about the prospects for next week.

Yep.  Snowing nicely up there now.  Been watching for last hour.  On top of what they got over weekend 4-5ish, it might make it through.  Dunno.  Nice to see laurels n central still snowing.  Happy for them. 

and yeah, a week from today the mood may be bright in here for a while.  

• Like 1

Next week - there's a lead forecaster at a Lanco university known for it's weather program who has been talking for 2 weeks now about next week. He hasn't been impressed with anything prior...but if you've followed some of my snippets from him, he's very excited for an east coast winter storm between 1/16 and 1/20...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

A look at 511pa cams in the Laurels still shows mostly snow on the cams in Somerset Co all the way down to Meyersdale and the cam on the Somerset/Westmoreland line. Mixing or rain on those cams are usually a sign of such things here soon, so probably have some time yet here. I’m at about 5” now so it’s becoming very likely I’m going to verify a warning out of this. 

It’s funny how all this works after Saturday’s storm haha. I wonder if the high pressure to the north was underestimated, even with the HRRR. 

I basically paid no attention to this as to snow but did see some models, I think the RGEM was one, showing several inches of snow to my west.   

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Next week - there's a lead forecaster at a Lanco university known for it's weather program who has been talking for 2 weeks now about next week. He hasn't been impressed with anything prior...but if you've followed some of my snippets from him, he's very excited for an east coast winter storm between 1/16 and 1/20...

No one cares about this new guy, what does MU think?

• Haha 2

I saw no snowflakes this morning. Pretty steady rain now, winds nearing 20 as they begin their ramp up.

We'll prob need another wind headline tomorrow and then one from Friday to Sunday. That might be stronger winds than today/tonight/tomorrow - that's a bomb coming at us. 

Indian Lake, PA checking in. What a wild morning. CAD is in place strong. Short range models have us staying Snow through 11am, then mixing until 1-2pm. Still have 5-8" before the change over. Have had near whiteout conditions when the wind gets going. 30° and heavy snow with 20-30mph winds. 

IMG-20240109-WA0007.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I basically paid no attention to this as to snow but did see some models, I think the RGEM was one, showing several inches of snow to my west.   

Some of the high res models were showing 10”+ on the top of the Allegheny front just west of here yesterday, which I thought was way over done. But maybe not given how hard it’s been snowing down here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Some of the high res models were showing 10”+ on the top of the Allegheny front just west of here yesterday, which I thought was way over done. But maybe not given how hard it’s been snowing down here. 

The HRRR has been going bonkers with the amounts on top of the mountains to your NW. I saw 38" this morning, then 24" on the 12z & 13z runs. It is keeping the snow & mix in higher elevations until 1pm

17 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

@Mount Joy Snowman and i heard lititz and manheim got 3-4" from weekend event prior to changeover, so I guess I verified my 3-6 even if not mby...hehe (I really dont give 2 shits....but co worker told me what we got).  I was just happy we got the storm.   

Be leery of those friends who just stick a ruler in the grass haha!  Always good for inflating by an inch or two.  I actually had a buddy do this same thing over the weekend; told me he got 3.5" but when I told him not to measure in grass he came back with 2.0" ha.  All the official reports from NWS are right around 2 or less for the entire county with one exception -- a 2.7" from near Manheim, so you may be right!  Although even that was under 3 and the source for that one was listed as "public" so who knows, could be another grass goblin haha.  Nothing on Cocorahs above 2 in the county.  I'm not giving you verification so suck on them apples :lol::lol::lol: (and yes, two shits are not given here either, just happy to see white).

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Homie J said:

Got absolutely pounded like 7:45 this morning trying to get to physics class.  Feel like I had half of inch of snow in a 10 minute walk accumulate on me. 

Sex before class was always a special trea ...

Oh you mean a snow squall. Nice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, canderson said:

I saw no snowflakes this morning. Pretty steady rain now, winds nearing 20 as they begin their ramp up.

We'll prob need another wind headline tomorrow and then one from Friday to Sunday. That might be stronger winds than today/tonight/tomorrow - that's a bomb coming at us. 

Same here. I've been on the wrong side this week.

Just now, str8liner said:

5 1/2 inches here so far and still putting it down. At this rate we might match or surpass Saturdays storm of 8 inches. 

Surprising since the NWS has me for 1-2, but I'll take it!

Today is another example of how one can miss seeing the forest through the trees.  Most didnt see this... but this storm has been modeled rather consistently for days now.  This next one is as well.  Not saying the outcome is the same, but lots of similarities and while there is no 1036 hp anchored for the next one, there may still be some more snow for some that have been longing to see it (likely northers for this upcoming weekend).  Some will say meh, but a true snow hound takes any snow they can get.  

Hoping some get more surprise snow this weekend, before we all may cash in next week.  Beyond that....who knows.  

• Like 2